New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

And a member of those Willis Reed champion teams to boot!

yeah. at 6'8", like jerry lucas, was a F-C, i think they call that 4-5 nowadays. teaming with a 6'9" willis reed. with those kinds of 'ceilings', today they probably will be playing the 3 spot, and maybe 4 sparingly. :D

MAGIC WAITING ON DWIGHT’S SIGNATURE

The Orlando Magic are now “expecting to get” a signed “opt in” amendment from Dwight Howard and his agent this morning that will keep the All-Star center in Orlando for the 2012-13 season, according to two sources.
Howard told RealGM.com early Thursday morning that he had, for the third time in less than 24 hours, changed his mind and now wanted to opt in for 2012-13, which would take him off of the free-agent market. Howard has been expected for the better part of a year to opt out of the final year of his contract with the Magic and become a free agent, allowing him to sign with the New Jersey Nets, long believed to be his preferred team, where he could play with fellow All-Star Deron Williams. At the least, Howard had officially asked to be traded from Orlando to one of three destinations — New Jersey, the Lakers or Dallas — and the Magic have been in trade discussions with those and several other teams for weeks.
On Wednesday, Howard had initially told teammates in San Antonio following the Magic’s shootaround there that he had changed his mind and planned to opt in and stay in Orlando next season, which would give the Magic a year to surround Howard with players good enough to compete with Miami and Chicago in the Eastern Conference.
Then, after consulting with agent Dan Fegan, Howard changed his mind. And in a conference call with Magic officials and owner Rich DeVos before the Magic’s game with the Spurs, Howard told DeVos he would not opt in and would indeed become a free agent on July 1. The Magic then intensified trade discussions with the Nets and “several” other teams, according to a league source, that were willing to trade for Howard even without a commitment from him that he’d sign a long-term contract extension with them next summer.
But after the Magic’s plane landed back in Orlando early Thursday, Howard had again changed his mind and decided he wanted to opt in. The team, according to sources, told him to sleep on his decision, consult Fegan and then tell the team what he wanted to do Thursday. As of 9 a.m., the Magic had yet to receive the signed “opt in” document, but anticipated it would. But Orlando is continuing to have trade discussions with teams in advance of Thursday’s 3 p.m. Eastern deadline in case Howard, again, has a change of heart.
This incredible odyssey has worn out not only the Magic, but teams around the league who have had to wait on potential deals because so many teams still have hopes of acquiring Howard.
“Good thing he didn’t go to college,” a team official texted about Howard Thursday morning. “He would have never been able to pick a school.”
Another potential deal not involving Howard was being discussed Thursday morning as well.
In this proposed trade, the Lakers would acquire forward Michael Beasley from the Timberwolves as part of a three-team deal. The Lakers would send guard Steve Blake to Portland, and the Trail Blazers would send guard Jamal Crawford to Minnesota. Rumors of this deal broke Wednesday evening, but Blake played for Los Angeles in the Lakers’ overtime win over New Orleans. Crawford did not play for Portland in the Blazers’ blowout loss in New York, but Beasley accompanied the Timberwolves to Utah, where they were to play the Jazz tonight. A source involved in the discussions said Thursday morning that the deal was on the table but not yet agreed upon.

So Howard has opted IN with ORL till the end of the 2013 season. Much ado about nothing. :D

Lakers ships Fisher to Houston but gets Ramon Sessions.

Stephen Jackson returns to the Spurs.

Nene gets shipped to the Wizard. Hmmm...

Next stop: Buy out news. :)

Tough to see Fisher go but at 37 it wa for the better of the team

Sessions is a plus. So who will start at PG, Blake or Sessions

Was also glad to see Luke has finally been traded. For a guy whose playing time is measured in microseconds it is no big loss

Overall I think the Lakers will be a better team

Tough to see Fisher go but at 37 it wa for the better of the team

Sessions is a plus. So who will start at PG, Blake or Sessions

Was also glad to see Luke has finally been traded. For a guy whose playing time is measured in microseconds it is no big loss

Overall I think the Lakers will be a better team

I think so too, Steve. Sessions is a 10 ppg guy, and relatively young. He should have more time than Fisher could play at his age.

Too bad I can't say that about the C's. They lost yet another bench player in Wilcox to heart surgery, after Jeff Green early in the season. JO has yet a new injury, so I guess it doesn't really matter what Ainge does or does not do at the trade deadline. Problem is, they are playing good enough NOT to get a lottery pick and will be eliminated early in the playoffs if they get there. Good thing is that after this season, Garnett and Allen's salaries will be gone for new monies for free agents in the market (unless they both get signed again). I wouldn't discount the Lakers in the playoffs though. With Kobe, Pau and Bynum in there, their offense is as potent as ever. The bench players need to step up and contribute while the 3 rest, and if they do, the Lakers will be there as a threatening force.

Another big win by the Knicks post D'Antoni. Looks like the Knicks need these 'nick of time' changes every now and then. (No pun intended) :D

And their bench pumped in 59 points. My kind of bench.

watching the Lakers win their 19th straight over the Wolves yesterday showed me a far different team than before the trade. They looked fast and determined. Bynum is blossoming into a truly great center and Sessions added a whole new depth at PG.
Lakers are 8-2 in their last 10 games and looking far better than weeks ago which will make for better playoffs

Knicks 3-0 post D'Antoni. Hope they keep it up. I'm happy to see them strong to prevent a Bulls & Heat finale in the east. :)

Knicks 3-0 post D'Antoni. Hope they keep it up. I'm happy to see them strong to prevent a Bulls & Heat finale in the east. :)

I , too, would like to see them as spoilers ... The way I see, however, the way Bulls and the Heat are playing make that unlikely. I see the Heat because of their superlative defense and their wealth of offensive options... With the Bulls you stop Drrick Rose, it's pretty much game over, which is what the Heat did last year.. If he is in one of his you-can-stop-me moment , you let him score his bunch and stop all the other guys...None of them offensive juggernauts.. With the Heat, one has to stop too many players... it is almost assumed that LBJ will dominate for three quarters.. You can focus on or slow him but not stop him.. He'll do it himself at the end of the game :) , then you have to contend with Bosh and the consistenty dangerous D-Wade, if you focus too much on the big-3 the non-stars, Mario Chalmers,for example, still can hurt you...
Now for a question .. Is it possible for a team to claim a player off waivers after the trade deadline?

I , too, would like to see them as spoilers ... The way I see, however, the way Bulls and the Heat are playing make that unlikely. I see the Heat because of their superlative defense and their wealth of offensive options... With the Bulls you stop Drrick Rose, it's pretty much game over, which is what the Heat did last year.. If he is in one of his you-can-stop-me moment , you let him score his bunch and stop all the other guys...None of them offensive juggernauts.. With the Heat, one has to stop too many players... it is almost assumed that LBJ will dominate for three quarters.. You can focus on or slow him but not stop him.. He'll do it himself at the end of the game :) , then you have to contend with Bosh and the consistenty dangerous D-Wade, if you focus too much on the big-3 the non-stars, Mario Chalmers,for example, still can hurt you...
Now for a question .. Is it possible for a team to claim a player off waivers after the trade deadline?

Agreed with all points you mentioned if the Bulls meet the Heat in the east. I feel it will be an easy job for the Heat. Now I'd like to see the Heat against an inspired Knicks in the first round. Spoiler's chance for the Knicks. Adrenalin will be flowing and the Knicks got all to gain and nothing to lose if the seed is 8th vs 1st. Shades of the big upset of Dallas by GSW a few years back. I really believe NY has the weapons to match the Heat or the Bulls. Problem is HOW they play the game. With a new coach, Amare et al say they love to win games for their coach. (The alarming insinuation is they didn't want to win with their old coach?) NY can play inspired and has to play inspired for things to get interesting in the east. Lin has been the darling of the NY fans and the team can be the cinderella of the east as well if they play together and play D very well. Something to look forward to.

If waivers is the same as 'buy out', then I think yes. A team can still get a player after March 15 via bought out players. It was rumored that Chris Kaman would be bought out by NO and that the C's were waiting but I think NO would not be buying out Kaman.

I'll check that out in NYC.

IMO, let's slow down on the Knicks. They're still a very thin team and their defense, with two starters who don't play much of it, isn't going to be exactly world-class this year regardless of the coach. I'd like to see more competition in the East too, but the NY press is overhyping everything as usual. Linsanity to disaster to near championship contender all in a month or so period. BTW, I'd still bet on the Heat but the Bulls are better and more offensively diversified than last year, particularly if Hamilton can stay healthy.

I think Sessions is a good pickup for the Lakers, and the Blazers getting a lottery pick for Wallace was a fleecing. Strategy in NJ seems to be to 'lose a little less now'. As if that will keep Williams in place more than a high pick in a deep draft.

Am 99% sure no signings after trade deadline

As if that will keep Williams in place more than a high pick in a deep draft.

I think the problem is that it's not a deep draft and anyone taken after 3rd pick is projected as work in progress. So the Nets viewed Wallace as better than anything they could acquire in say with the 8-10th pick.

I think the problem is that it's not a deep draft and anyone taken after 3rd pick is projected as work in progress. So the Nets viewed Wallace as better than anything they could acquire in say with the 8-10th pick.

I've read otherwise on the strength of this years draft, but in any case, Wallace (who I like as a player ) is nearly 30 and a free agent after the year. The Nets, a rebuilding team, traded a pick that is only top 3 protected. So anything 4 and below is gone for a guy who's late prime at best, not a star and very possibly leaving soon vs someone who may well have more lasting value.

More to the point perhaps, is Gerald Wallace really a difference-maker in signing Dwight Howard (which may be the only thing to keep Williams around)?

I made my impression on after trade deadline/waived acquisitions on news like these from Celticlife.com. If I'm not misktaken, the C's picked up Michael Finley in the '09-'10 season via this route.

"Make way for the return of Chris Johnson?
Shortly after the trade deadline passed, DH speculated about the Celtics possibly look to re-sign recently waived Portland Center Chris Johnson. A few hours later, ESPN Boston's Chris Forsberg posted a column with some pros and cons on adding CJ.

Johnson spent part of the training camp with the Celtics before the 2010-11 season, then got plucked out of the D-League on a 10-day contract after Boston was thinned up front by the Kendrick Perkins trade at last year's deadline. Johnson appeared in four games for the Green, chipping in six points and five rebounds over 32 minutes of floor time.

Coach Doc Rivers expressed a desire to hold onto him even as his 10-day stint expired, but a need for a backup point guard instead forced the team to sign a bought out Carlos Arroyo. Johnson went on to sign with the Blazers and spent the past calendar year with the team before being released on Thursday.

Would the Celtics be interested in Johnson? There's certainly a value in a 26-year-old with some familiarity of your system, particularly when you're just looking for someone to eat minutes over the next 45 days.

The sexy name out there right now is Chris Kaman (yes I just used sexy in the same sentence with the Caveman), but it's unclear whether he's willing to give up enough millions to convince the league owned Hornets to buy him out. Then even if he is bought out, the Celtics will have to compete with several other teams, most notably the Heat and Spurs.

And I found out that there is a deadline for signing waived players AFTER the trade deadline:

No deal for Heat; focus turns to buyout deadline

By Ira Winderman South Florida Sun Sentinel

2:33 p.m. CDT, March 15, 2012
PHILADELPHIA—

There are deadlines. And then there are drop-dead deadlines.

So at Thursday's NBA trading deadline, the Miami Heat essentially found themselves in a holding pattern.

But there still is wiggle room for the Heat in terms of roster space and time.

With 14 players under contract, one below the league maximum, the Heat now turn their attention to next Thursday's NBA buyout deadline.

A player who has spent time in the league this season must be waived by March 23 in order to be eligible for another team's playoff roster. He then can be signed any time prior to the final day of the season, similar to the process the Heat used to add Mike Bibby a year ago.

Because of that, what didn't happen around the league Thursday potentially was of greater impact to the Heat than the flurry of moves. Foremost, New Orleans Hornets center Chris Kaman and Boston Celtics center Jermaine O'Neal, each in the final years of their contracts, were not dealt, leaving them as potential Heat targets should buyouts be negotiated with their current teams.

Kaman's situation is somewhat clouded by the NBA running the Hornets, with Commissioner David Stern earlier this season blocking a trade of Chris Paul from New Orleans to the Los Angeles Lakers.

In addition, Marcus Camby, also in the final year of his contract, was dealt Thursday to the Houston Rockets by the Portland Trail Blazers, opening a potential buyout possibility there.

Great, thx for getting to the bottom
of it Phil.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu