New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

I made my impression on after trade deadline/waived acquisitions on news like these from Celticlife.com. If I'm not misktaken, the C's picked up Michael Finley in the '09-'10 season via this route.

"Make way for the return of Chris Johnson?
Shortly after the trade deadline passed, DH speculated about the Celtics possibly look to re-sign recently waived Portland Center Chris Johnson. A few hours later, ESPN Boston's Chris Forsberg posted a column with some pros and cons on adding CJ.

Johnson spent part of the training camp with the Celtics before the 2010-11 season, then got plucked out of the D-League on a 10-day contract after Boston was thinned up front by the Kendrick Perkins trade at last year's deadline. Johnson appeared in four games for the Green, chipping in six points and five rebounds over 32 minutes of floor time.

Coach Doc Rivers expressed a desire to hold onto him even as his 10-day stint expired, but a need for a backup point guard instead forced the team to sign a bought out Carlos Arroyo. Johnson went on to sign with the Blazers and spent the past calendar year with the team before being released on Thursday.

Would the Celtics be interested in Johnson? There's certainly a value in a 26-year-old with some familiarity of your system, particularly when you're just looking for someone to eat minutes over the next 45 days.

The sexy name out there right now is Chris Kaman (yes I just used sexy in the same sentence with the Caveman), but it's unclear whether he's willing to give up enough millions to convince the league owned Hornets to buy him out. Then even if he is bought out, the Celtics will have to compete with several other teams, most notably the Heat and Spurs.

And I found out that there is a deadline for signing waived players AFTER the trade deadline:

No deal for Heat; focus turns to buyout deadline

By Ira Winderman South Florida Sun Sentinel

2:33 p.m. CDT, March 15, 2012
PHILADELPHIA—

There are deadlines. And then there are drop-dead deadlines.

So at Thursday's NBA trading deadline, the Miami Heat essentially found themselves in a holding pattern.

But there still is wiggle room for the Heat in terms of roster space and time.

With 14 players under contract, one below the league maximum, the Heat now turn their attention to next Thursday's NBA buyout deadline.

A player who has spent time in the league this season must be waived by March 23 in order to be eligible for another team's playoff roster. He then can be signed any time prior to the final day of the season, similar to the process the Heat used to add Mike Bibby a year ago.

Because of that, what didn't happen around the league Thursday potentially was of greater impact to the Heat than the flurry of moves. Foremost, New Orleans Hornets center Chris Kaman and Boston Celtics center Jermaine O'Neal, each in the final years of their contracts, were not dealt, leaving them as potential Heat targets should buyouts be negotiated with their current teams.

Kaman's situation is somewhat clouded by the NBA running the Hornets, with Commissioner David Stern earlier this season blocking a trade of Chris Paul from New Orleans to the Los Angeles Lakers.

In addition, Marcus Camby, also in the final year of his contract, was dealt Thursday to the Houston Rockets by the Portland Trail Blazers, opening a potential buyout possibility there.

Jadis

You, Sir, are a basketball junkie :)

.. Thx

My pleasure, Bob and FrantzM. I enjoy being a basketball junkie. :D

Everyone in the Philippines is a basketball junkie!

Yup. I have to 'out-junkie' my brother in law who is an eats Basketball Digest in the past for breakfast and knows all the bench warmers' stats to boot. :D

The international basketball community and teams are going to be mesmerized by the lobs from CP3 to Blake Griffin. They have never, ever, seen anyone like Griffin on the court.

The international basketball community and teams are going to be mesmerized by the lobs from CP3 to Blake Griffin. They have never, ever, seen anyone like Griffin on the court.

I agree but so also is the experience of everyone watching the NBA. He is an amazing athlete

a sad ending to an otherwise great career. Will anyone sign him??

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/03/19/whats-next-for-fisher/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

i can imagine how lakers fan will take that news. hard to imagine fisher wearing another uniform. i wonder if fisher is still emotionally drained from the trade and if he is ready to suit up for another team. i think he still is fit to play pro ball, maybe not long minutes, but at crunch time, his shots still fall in. he may be the next best thing after 'big shot bob' robert horry in nailing, well, the big shots.

i can imagine how lakers fan will take that news. hard to imagine fisher wearing another uniform. i wonder if fisher is still emotionally drained from the trade and if he is ready to suit up for another team. i think he still is fit to play pro ball, maybe not long minutes, but at crunch time, his shots still fall in. he may be the next best thing after 'big shot bob' robert horry in nailing, well, the big shots.

From what I heard Fisher didn't even report to the Rockets. So as I understand it anyone BUT the Lakers can sign him. Lakers can but not until July 1st

From what I heard Fisher didn't even report to the Rockets. So as I understand it anyone BUT the Lakers can sign him. Lakers can but not until July 1st

right, steve. kinda like when detroit traded adrian dantley away. a.d. didn't report to camp to his new team for a long time. i read now that the core laker players were not happy with the fisher trade bec it might disrupt the 'chemistry' they had. kinda like the perkins deal part 2. :) and boy, wouldn't it be funny if the celtics pick him up? :D

right, steve. kinda like when detroit traded adrian dantley away. a.d. didn't report to camp to his new team for a long time. i read now that the core laker players were not happy with the fisher trade bec it might disrupt the 'chemistry' they had. kinda like the perkins deal part 2. :)

Fisher was one of my favorite Lakers and certainly the only one in whom Kobe would confide. Kobe was against the trade as were others however at 37 and in the twilight of his career it was a surprise but not unexpected. Sessions so far IMO looks very good and is lightening fast something which Fisher was lacking. I think Sessions will be solid for them

Fisher was one of my favorite Lakers and certainly the only one in whom Kobe would confide. Kobe was against the trade as were others however at 37 and in the twilight of his career it was a surprise but not unexpected. Sessions so far IMO looks very good and is lightening fast something which Fisher was lacking. I think Sessions will be solid for them

agreed. i think picking up sessions was a good thing for the lakers too.

Hey, a couple of side notes here.

First, no one, I mean no one, individually, can keep up with Westbrook. Once he learns to stop firing heat checks he will really be phenomenal. Think about how great that OKC team really is: with their starting lineup, on offense, they play 4 against 5, because Perkins is completely useless on offense, and they still have the 2nd best record in the league. I am really hoping OKC makes it to the finals. Now that they are a bit battle tested with last year's playoff run, I think they are ready to compete for it all. OKC v. Bulls or OKC v. Heat: either way, that's potentially riveting basketball for almost 2 weeks. My phones will be off the hook. Steve, party at my house.

Second, Fisher already has worn a uniform other than the Lakers. Fisher left the Lakers to sign with the Warriors, remember? Then he went to Oooootah.

Hey, a couple of side notes here.

First, no one, I mean no one, individually, can keep up with Westbrook. Once he learns to stop firing heat checks he will really be phenomenal. Think about how great that OKC team really is: with their starting lineup, on offense, they play 4 against 5, because Perkins is completely useless on offense, and they still have the 2nd best record in the league. I am really hoping OKC makes it to the finals. Now that they are a bit battle tested with last year's playoff run, I think they are ready to compete for it all. OKC v. Bulls or OKC v. Heat: either way, that's potentially riveting basketball for almost 2 weeks. My phones will be off the hook. Steve, party at my house.

Second, Fisher already has worn a uniform other than the Lakers. Fisher left the Lakers to sign with the Warriors, remember? Then he went to Oooootah.

I do know that about Fisher and it was the kindness of the now deceased owner of the Jazz who released him to play in Los Angeles so that his daughter could get treatment for a retinoblastoma.

Ron, I have been saying all season that OKC is my pick in the West and yes if Westbrook can figure it out I believe that they can beat the Bulls and Heat. IMO fastest team in the league with KD IMO a candidate for MVP

Yep, I agree Steve. OKC all the way. Like I said, party at my house. Oysters, blueberry margaritas, espressos and foam darts that we can shoot at everyone, er, I mean, the TV!

And what an act of benevolence by the Jazz owner so that Derek could be closer to home to be with his daughter. Just beautiful.

Yep, I agree Steve. OKC all the way. Like I said, party at my house. Oysters, blueberry margaritas, espressos and foam darts that we can shoot at everyone, er, I mean, the TV!

And what an act of benevolence by the Jazz owner so that Derek could be closer to home to be with his daughter. Just beautiful.

He was one of the wonderful owners of the league who treated the players like family. Had very bad diabetes

Ron I bought some Blue Bottle Espresso beans at the Ferry Bldg in SF over the weekend. Mmm

BTW, OKC reminds me of Showtime from the Lakers of 20-30 years ago

The who's who of NBA Basketball are pretty much all in USA Basketball. Boy, what a roster. In my opinion the best since 1992.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/2012MOLYroster.html

Will the NBA and Olympics schedule conflict? If so what are your thoughts.

Another 'nuclear bomb' US Olympic basketball team in the making. 'Hand them the medals' time. :D

I think the Summer Games are in July, when the NBA Finals would have ended in June, so believe no conflict in schedule.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu