New German 285,000 Euro turntable. Any takers?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Interesting question. I would assume the unit in the photo is working and that some people somewhere have heard that unit in a system, but perhaps that is not the case. Was it again on static display only in Hong Kong?

According to both Steve & Jack it was static display only at the show.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
People I know and trust own the Brakemeier Apolyth. More than 20 years ago it was and it is still a state of the art turntable, using some very clever solutions. If money and space are not an issue, as it happens for a few people in this hobby, I would expect that people who had great experience with the previous designs and heard about them would consider this one seriously.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Plattenteller

Dec 14, 2015
Steve,

You should add the three sold in Germany, according to Michael Fremer. BTW, fortunately I am not considering a 50k euro turntable, otherwise I would be flying to Frankfurt next week ... http://www.audio-markt.de/_markt/item.php?id=0451852181&audioauktion=676369d4dddd7d58f0824447e6376176

From Frankfurt it is just one hour drive to my home, where you can hear the working Apolyt. And for the price you get the whole package incl. Tonearm - Cartrige and Brakemeier Phono Pre !
Ralf

thekong

May 10, 2012
I was in the Hong Kong HiFi show the first day (Fri), and there was an arm on that turntable, but no cartridge :(

Interestingly, Lloyd and Fred of Walker Audio was showcasing their latest Proscenium Black Diamond Turntable in the same room, playing very good music :)

thekong

May 10, 2012
Oh, my mistake, I just remeber there was another top turntable in the room with the Walker!

Come to think about it, it could be a TriangleART turntable in the same room with the Apolyt!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You would be right. :) The Triangle Art was with the big Ks, Kondo and Kaiser set up on the opposite side of the room.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I was at the HK hifi show and spoke to Dietrich for about 20 minutes on the last day.

The table itself while pig ugly is the most extreme and complex turntable I have seen with its in built industrial optical air suspension. It is built to an extremely high standard and you could probably hit the stand with a hammer and not dent it. You can clearly see that there is considerable cost in manufacturing this table.

This was also a different table to the one in Munich being the shorter version for the Asian market.

The table was supposed to be working, however the organisers said it was too big to be transported fully assembled. Dietrich seemed to have been given the wrong information as the large speakers had bigger shipping crates. He simply did not have enough time to set the table up completely, especially the air suspension part after it was disassembled before shipment. See the next set of photos from the back to give an idea about the complexity of the suspension.
Bear in mind the Dohmann table next to it was also on static display.

Yes, Dietrich said he had sold 4 of his tables at the HK show - 2 the day before to Taiwan. the total was either 7 or 9 that he had sold since the debut at Munich.

Considering he manufactures alignment protractors, two tonearms and a couple of cartridges of which all are highly regarded, and sells through distribution for the last 4-5 years - I find the snipe remarks from a few here amusing at best.

Dietrich is clearly a smart, intelligent designer who finally seems to be enjoying commercial success.

28798356475_8f42bec382_b.jpg

28693183372_98d1731154_b.jpg

28798355335_3de80411dd_b.jpg

top plate is vinyl for vinyl on vinyl contact.

28180836294_5157a26f83_b.jpg

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Back of the table. Top section, then bottom section that has all the Bosch connectors and stuff that needs to be calibrated for the suspension. Have a look how thick the actual frame is.

29012707076_06c66354bb_b.jpg

28425149134_a2e9d17715_b.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fascinating stuff XV-1. Thanks for these photos. It looks like the turntable proper is supported by those arms/spikes which are height adjustable and rest on the thick frame. The frame in turn is suspended by the four corner towers. If I'm reading this right, that would mean that the platter is isolated because it rests on an air bearing. The idler motor for getting up to speed and the thread drive motor and the arm pods are massive and rigid and any internal vibrations drain away via those spiked supports into the massive upper frame which in turn is isolated from ground borne vibrations. If that is all true, it seems to be a very serious effort to address the issues of vibrations, both internal and external. Plus the mass of whole contraption plays a big role.

I wish Airbearing success with this turntable and hope we read some listening impressions from the field and more specifics about the design. It seems to be a very serious design.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Considering he manufactures alignment protractors, two tonearms and a couple of cartridges of which all are highly regarded, and sells through distribution for the last 4-5 years - I find the snipe remarks from a few here amusing at best.

we learn from history partly to avoid repeating it. and in the small audiophile community broken promises will follow you. if you want Dietrich's history to fade then why bring it up? while you are amused by it, those who are still owed money or own products not working properly are not at all amused. if those guys step up and say they have been satisfied then that would be great. and buyers of a turntable on this scale and price likely would appreciate knowing about the manufacturers history. I know I would.

Dietrich is clearly a smart, intelligent designer who finally seems to be enjoying commercial success.

no doubt there are happy customers of some (or maybe many of) his products.

as far as this turntable, I'm rooting for it to break new performance ground......and appreciate the pictures and explanations. it pushes what is possible and moves the hobby forward. I look forward to read about listening feedback.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing