New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

I heard that at AE . Just a crocodile clip connection to armboard . Once removed , v didn’t want to listen anymore . However when u see what’s inside the Tripoints ( seen older model ) , u wouldn’t want to buy for the ultra price with garden hose ground wire. Wonder what’s the magic
old pics floating around the web of early examples are not relevant....but you cannot un-ring the bell once rung. we need to follow our ears. grounding skeptics are always going to be active. it's not for everyone. i never bring it up, only answer interested people.

don't spend rent money on grounding, or try it until you have checked all the other boxes off, in system building. even room treatments first. Tripoint does not fix things. it enhances already good things.

it's the 'last thing' you do to take final system building steps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda
I like the sound of this room. It's in Thailand. Sound very lively with room sound signature close to mine. He set up his room and system differently from most Thai audiophiles. Not much treated with acoustic absorbers. Almost no toe in speaker position too. Before the new Kronos went into his room he said the Wadax is his best source. He used to have so many boxes of CH. Also switched amps from top Boulder to Dartz 458, 468 to now Pilium. Excellent sound he has.

Last edited:
old pics floating around the web of early examples are not relevant....but you cannot un-ring the bell once rung. we need to follow our ears. grounding skeptics are always going to be active. it's not for everyone. i never bring it up, only answer interested people.

don't spend rent money on grounding, or try it until you have checked all the other boxes off, in system building. even room treatments first. Tripoint does not fix things. it enhances already good things.

it's the 'last thing' you do to take final system building steps.
With all due respect, Mike, my experiences - with the Tripoint Emperor mk ii and Elite NG ground stations and Miguel’s top of the bill Emperor ground cables (employing 6 of these ‘Anaconda’s’) - in my Tidal La Assoluta / Kondo audio set up is different: inserting these Tripoint components brought - apart from all the ‘audiophile goodies’ that I have been talking about earlier on the WBF - an emotional connection to music that I never experienced before while this connection is imho crucial for our hobby cq musical ‘entertainment’.

But I suppose we should circle back to the topic of this thread: the Wadax reference dac and server. What I find intriguing is that three reviewers living in different parts of this world separately praised the reference dac so highly while playing ‘only’ with usb cables and not employing the Reference server and the Wadax Akasa cable. If I understood Javier correctly (and I am sure I did), this server and optical link make a huge difference and really show what the reference dac is capable of. Therefore looking forward to Roy Gregory’s review of the Wadax reference server in combination with the reference dac and Akasa cable. The info Elliot shared with us recently seems to imply that Javier was completely right and that Roy is starting to really enjoy listening to files at last.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne
With all due respect, Mike, my experiences - with the Tripoint Emperor mk ii and Elite NG ground stations and Miguel’s top of the bill Emperor ground cables (employing 6 of these ‘Anaconda’s’) - in my Tidal La Assoluta / Kondo audio set up is different: inserting these Tripoint components brought - apart from all the ‘audiophile goodies’ that I have been talking about earlier on the WBF - an emotional connection to music that I never experienced before while this connection is imho crucial for our hobby cq musical ‘entertainment’.
i think we are both saying the same things. maybe our perspectives are slightly different. we come to Tripoint near the end of our journeys, and it takes things to a new level. in your case a much bigger jump with the bigger Tripoint commitment. i think that is consistent with my view too. but you did your heavy system lifting prior to Tripoint. it's taken you over the top. maybe waay over, down the other side and up again. :eek:
But I suppose we should circle back to the topic of this thread: the Wadax reference dac and server. What I find intriguing is that three reviewers living in different parts on this world separately praised the reference dac so highly while playing ‘only’ with usb cables and not employing the Reference server and the Wadax Akasa cable. If I understood Javier correctly (and I am sure I did), this server and optical link make a huge difference and really show what the reference dac is capable of. Therefore looking forward to Roy Gregory’s review of the Wadax reference server in combination with the reference dac and Akasa cable. The info Elliot shared with us recently seems to imply that Javier was completely right and that Roy is starting to really enjoy listening to files at last.
the server part of the reviews is just now coming to light. and even there will be a further 'power supply' bump to the server later on. and a Ref transport. the rabbit hole is getting curiouser.

Reactions: Audiocrack
I heard that at AE . Just a crocodile clip connection to armboard . Once removed , v didn’t want to listen anymore . However when u see what’s inside the Tripoints ( seen older model ) , u wouldn’t want to buy for the ultra price with garden hose ground wire. Wonder what’s the magic
Yes one wonders into the vagaries of Aural perceptibility --are we really encompassed by mind over matter, or heaven forbid allowing the outcome

to be what we want to hear :rolleyes:

Just how deep does one delve into what our brain is deciphering for the immersion into the moment(s)

Or is it just we are preconceived already in anticipation ?--so we are instantly aware of changes for the better--?

I've experienced the former on the odd occasion:mad:

Whatever Magic Sauce is in the Tripoints I suppose you could quantify it as a Q.E.D.;)!

My apologies to the original Poster for the digression--I have heard Wadax Gear--but not the Reference and agree with all the comments, back to thread

Good Listening,

BruceD

I like the sound of this room. It's in Thailand. Sound very lively with room sound signature close to mine. He set up his room and system differently from most Thai audiophiles. Not much treated with acoustic absorbers. Almost no toe in speaker position too. Before the new Kronos went into his room he said the Wadax is his best source. He used to have so many boxes of CH. Also switched amps from top Boulder to Dartz 458, 468 to now Pilium. Excellent sound he has.
Which speakers does he have?
Thanks

Matt

Not much treated with acoustic absorbers.
He has wooden diffusers, carpet, curtain, and some foo stands in the corner and the centre. Can't make out if the ceiling is treatment or not

He has wooden diffusers, carpet, curtain, and some foo stands in the corner and the centre. Can't make out if the ceiling is treatment or not
Some curtains yes. They are just cheap cloth curtain for blinding people outside from peeking in. The ceiling is just cheap commercial office type ceiling panel. You should see typical of the so called dedicated listening room here, no wonder why my dealer friend is richer than his customers.

Let's get back to Wadax.

Reactions: timztunz
Veyro EV4
Kharma Veyron EV4-D (referred to by Kharma as 4D)

Recently they've been making changes to the likes of supports, some models are starting to get a 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0 designation. Don't know how that relates to the speakers in question

Reactions: matthias
After much consideration - after all the new Tidal Camira dac and Lampizator Horizon dac’s are looking very promising indeed and are undoubtedly mighty fine dacs - and after consulting some good ears in our audiophile community (inter alia a WBF member who lives in the USA and who combines the Tidal Akira loudspeakers with the Wadax reference combo and Akasa interlink) - I pulled the trigger. Intensive contact with Javier and Miguel of Tripoint Audio gave me the final push I needed: I ordered a Wadax reference dac this week. Hope that it will make an audiophile ‘marriage in heaven’ with my Tidal La Assoluta loudspeaker’s and Kondo equipment.

Congratulations !!!!
What Server are you going to use?
Thanks much. First things first. However, Javier was very clear to me that the reference dac is really going to shine with its matching reference server and Akasa cable while Roy Gregory’s first comments seem to confirm this as he is starting to enjoy files reply for the first time in his life (which I already did btw with my Camira dac and LDMS server). So we will see…..

Last edited:
Reactions: Stereophonic
Thanks much. First things first. However, Javier was very clear to me that the reference dac is really going to shine with its matching reference server and Akasa cable while Roy Gregory’s first comments seem to confirm this as he is starting to enjoy files reply for the first time in his life (which I already did btw with my Camira dac and LDMS server). So we will see…..
That is huge news!!! That is the ONE digital that intrigues me the most as well, Audiocrack. Look forward to reading about your impressions when it arrives! Enjoy! BTW, if you ever wish to play with the Zanden...try the Z:Axis Audio i2s Reference...stunningly detailed and organic in every way.

That is huge news!!! That is the ONE digital that intrigues me the most as well, Audiocrack. Look forward to reading about your impressions when it arrives! Enjoy! BTW, if you ever wish to play with the Zanden...try the Z:Axis Audio i2s Reference...stunningly detailed and organic in every way.
Thanks, very kind of you Lloyd. It will take a little while before I have the reference dac in house but I am very curious indeed to find out how good it is. And thanks for your suggestion regarding the Zanden combo.

Thanks, very kind of you Lloyd. It will take a little while before I have the reference dac in house but I am very curious indeed to find out how good it is. And thanks for your suggestion regarding the Zanden combo.
Me too! As you know, we have had the Zanden digital for 13 years and not found something we definitely like better, and certainly not much, much better (for 16/44.1). I am sure it can/will be done...and perhaps it already has but we have not found it yet.

I am wondering if the Wadax is it...and if so, by how much of a margin.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing