Ordering a Bokrand Tonearm

@Kjetil thank you for the tip. nice one!

IMG_4158.jpeg
The rather industrial combo of AT-LH13H and RigB VM540ML.
Resonances? Kill’em all.
That’s btw the only 7“ I care about.

Reactions: Janik
I am very happy for everyone getting their arms, but like JH-No am quite pissed by now. I have tried to get him on the horn, but just silence in return. If someone are able to get in touch with him, let me know.

Reactions: JH_No
Got a lengthty, rather generic e-mail from Alfred telling me he has packed up, got his account on ebay closed… Want us to give him time to refund, really annoyed. Because it has been over eigth months since ordering I do not have a valid claim with either ebay or paypal. So much for patience...

• Wow
Reactions: shadowlight
Got a lengthty, rather generic e-mail from Alfred telling me he has packed up, got his account on ebay closed… Want us to give him time to refund, really annoyed. Because it has been over eigth months since ordering I do not have a valid claim with either ebay or paypal. So much for patience...
I also received the email explaining that they shut him down and to claim back the money from eBay.

Then I see that he has sold an arm today on his daughters Ebay page "rightkindofwife". When I enquired I got a email back saying they could deliver an arm in just a few days.

I also received the email explaining that they shut him down and to claim back the money from eBay.

Then I see that he has sold an arm today on his daughters Ebay page "rightkindofwife". When I enquired I got a email back saying they could deliver an arm in just a few days.
Um yea…….
Delivery in just a few days is Alfred’s standard opening gambit, then after a myriad of excuses the buyers will end up here bleating.

Alfred can make really nice headshell from brass. I m going to test that one. But also headshells pro-ject signature are really nice. depends on cartridge you can choose from 3 different materials.
Have you actually seen a brass one? I received two with (much delayed) arms and they were brass-coloured, but made of aluminum (see photo). Both were missing their fingerlifts, by the way.

AB headshell gold wires.jpg

Reactions: MarcusD
Yes its ALU. Sry my bad.
I received tonearm last week.

Reactions: Tomcat1969
Hi I am new to the forum. I found this thread and shared the same experience as many here. This Spring I did receive a tonearm after waiting since last Summer. I don't think I would have received it without staying in constant check with Alfred (he even admitted he lost my order at some point). This tonearm is the latest mat gold banana design with specific geometry for the Ortofon SPU-A.

Unfortunately upon receiving I discovered horizontal bearings were bad. Alfred said they were original Ortofon and suggested I send it back but really, Alfred? And wait another 8 months? Alfred shut up when I sent him a pic of an Ortofon SPU with a bent cantilever caused by the dragging of the horizontal bearings. I asked to be reimbursed for the defective tonearm AND damaged SPU ...and never heard from him again LOL.

Fortunately an excellent eBay seller audio_improvements sold me upgraded ceramic bearings and silver plated wire. All is smooth and excellent now. I haven't finished the rewire as Im not sure how I want to terminate. Wire direct to pre preamp or replace the DIN connector?

During all this time I acquired 2 original Ortofon, a Schick, and 2 Gray copies. I have a problem.

So, does anyone want a good deal on an upgraded Bokrand?

Thank you, -John

44F8AF9A-84B6-496C-A7D5-D6DA474D2A3E.jpeg

For those popping a gasket now after 22 pages of whining, are you unable to read Alfred’s post??
Seriously, i’m starting to think that everyone is just looking for an opportunity to shout about their grievance. Alfred is definitely not a businessman with control of his production. He’s a small craftsman who makes superb tonearms, and he has, as someone in his 70s, some health issues that get in his way. Currently there’s a cash-flow problem due to a complaint with ebay (ebay basically withholds payments if a complaint is lodged).

if you want a tonearm backed by a multiple-employee company with a long history of customer service, then buy a Graham. But you want a Bokrand for a particular reason? Then accept that it will take much more time than either you or Alfred think. When you buy a Schroeder, you wait months, maybe stretching over a year. Why? Because Frank makes every tonearm by hand, by himself. No one has an on-line aneurysm because of the wait. Well guess what? Alfred builds every arm by hand too. And you are generally paying 1/10th the price of a Schroeder. I know because i have both. I love both arms for different reasons, and they carry very different cartridges. But i respect what they do because they do it so well. I was fine with the price, and the wait.

this is the “What’s Best Forum,” where people debate 6-figure DACs. Yet the most whiny and angry posts are about a tonearm that costs less than a grand, built by an older gentleman with health issues, who has never - N E V E R - either not delivered or not returned money.

the piling-on on this thread reminds me of why generally i find audiophiles miserable people. Just sharing a love of music (hopefully - though de gustibus non est disputandem) and kit isn’t enough to overcome the new normal of people using the internet to get their frustrations out. I suppose it’s better than the old times when some of you would have kicked the dog in the kidney.

instead of yelling at Alfred, why don’t you request your money back? Nicely? As i said, and as Alfred has posted, he has never ignored an obligation, one way or the other. And if you are a typical WBF member, you spend more than the cost of the arm-in-limbo on your yearly Tidal subscription.

I’m going to listen to some music and relish the sublime joy of human creativity. I suggest you angry folk do the same.

Seriously, i’m starting to think that everyone is just looking for an opportunity to shout about their grievance. Alfred is definitely not a businessman with control of his production. He’s a small craftsman who makes superb tonearms, and he has, as someone in his 70s, some health issues that get in his way. Currently there’s a cash-flow problem due to a complaint with ebay (ebay basically withholds payments if a complaint is lodged).

if you want a tonearm backed by a multiple-employee company with a long history of customer service, then buy a Graham. But you want a Bokrand for a particular reason? Then accept that it will take much more time than either you or Alfred think. When you buy a Schroeder, you wait months, maybe stretching over a year. Why? Because Frank makes every tonearm by hand, by himself. No one has an on-line aneurysm because of the wait. Well guess what? Alfred builds every arm by hand too. And you are generally paying 1/10th the price of a Schroeder. I know because i have both. I love both arms for different reasons, and they carry very different cartridges. But i respect what they do because they do it so well. I was fine with the price, and the wait.

this is the “What’s Best Forum,” where people debate 6-figure DACs. Yet the most whiny and angry posts are about a tonearm that costs less than a grand, built by an older gentleman with health issues, who has never - N E V E R - either not delivered or not returned money.

the piling-on on this thread reminds me of why generally i find audiophiles miserable people. Just sharing a love of music (hopefully - though de gustibus non est disputandem) and kit isn’t enough to overcome the new normal of people using the internet to get their frustrations out. I suppose it’s better than the old times when some of you would have kicked the dog in the kidney.

instead of yelling at Alfred, why don’t you request your money back? Nicely? As i said, and as Alfred has posted, he has never ignored an obligation, one way or the other. And if you are a typical WBF member, you spend more than the cost of the arm-in-limbo on your yearly Tidal subscription.

I’m going to listen to some music and relish the sublime joy of human creativity. I suggest you angry folk do the same.
I asked for a refund and he said ok. Then nothing. Another email and he said it would come in two parts. When? One next week and another after that. Nothing. So finally he said ‘I have no money’. I decided to hang on for 5 more months and eventually with a lot of wrangling I got the tonearm. What do you do when the seller says he has no money? and yet he promises new customers delivery in two weeks. It’s called a Ponzi scheme.
moniker

Reactions: mtemur and JH_No

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing