Outstanding Sound Improvement with Videos before-after/ VYDA Cables

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I do believe EVERY audiophile amongst us would agree that cancel culture for unwanted noise when it comes to audio is completely acceptable.

Tom

That cancel culture should include the unwanted noise from having to listen to a system via crappy smartphone microphones and compressed digital audio.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
That cancel culture should include the unwanted noise from having to listen to a system via crappy microphones and compressed digital audio.
You even see Van Gogh and the likes in person? You rather see them through a crappy camera and compress digital image or not see them at all? Be gracious that we can have a chance to listen to some of the uber system out there.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You even see Van Gogh and the likes in person? You rather see them through a crappy camera and compress digital image or not see them at all? Be gracious that we can have a chance to listen to some of the uber system out there.

Bad analogy. I can listen to the music played on a system via good high-end reproduction, I don't need a crappy iPhone video for that.

A chance to listen to some of the uber systems out there? Through something that at its core negates the very art of high end reproduction?

I have never heard a video of an uber system that even comes close to the sound of my non-uber system at home. So should I ever be impressed by an uber system video? I have no reason to be. None.

• Angry
Reactions: bazelio

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Bad analogy. I can listen to the music played on a system via good high-end reproduction, I don't need a crappy iPhone video for that.

A chance to listen to some of the uber systems out there? Through something that at its core negates the very art of high end reproduction?

I have never heard a video of an uber system that even comes close to the sound of my non-uber system at home. So should I ever be impressed by an uber system video? I have no reason to be. None.
With all due respect, I think you are quite delusional at best with your system capability sir.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Perhaps, but this seems like the wrong place for that, er, discussion.

Vienna is excited (?) about cables brought to his attention by another forum member. Along with describing them, he posted videos of music from his system before and after the new cables. He says they are representative of what he hears from his system.

Rather than taking Vienna at his word, rather than thanking him for his effort and for bringing forth his discovery (would you know anything about Vyda without Vienna's post?) some people were sceptical about the videos, claiming that the before-after sound differences were too great and something else, not the cables, must explain their impressions. The culprit was the video! Whether you think so or not, the way this was done came across as impugning Vienna's efforts. Guy trys to show us something new, but no - what a way to harsh his buzz. This does not encourage others to bring forth their discoveries.

It seems like almost every thread with videos ends up challenging them in some way. This ends up challenging the person who posted them or the truth of what they try to convey or something - and dammit that challenge must be issued and dammit videos are a lousy way to convey what they do.

Start a thread about the value or validity or propriety of posting videos and of their use. It will no doubt be interesting and entertaining. Do we need to nominate someone for that? Try to do that in a straightforward way and not get squirrely when someone disagrees (as I think micro was suggesting above.)

Please stop turning every thread with a video away from the subject at hand.

Sorry Tim, it is much deeper and relevant than your are suggesting. IMHO if members consider that the videos misrepresent the equipment being compared they should and must say so, clearly explaining it and be open minded to debate it in the thread carrying the comments.

BTW, can we know what is your exact position on the use of videos to compare cables?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I guess we are back to taking written reviewers words/methodology because Microstrip/Al M putting doubt on how the videos were recorded or the sound was too much different for a power cord. Although you gentlemen may be very knowledgeable about audio and audio equipment but i will take these videos over your words or doubt anyday assuming the original poster dont have any ill intention.

Look at what totalDAC do to show the improvement of the TotalD1-driver in their youtube video. It is clearly better and fairer than any of the top reviewer description. From now on all the reviewer better include video with proper equipment rather than flying on their mouth.

May I say that your post just bring more arguments to people objecting to the use of casually handheld Iphone videos to compare gear? Look at TotalDac recording setup shown in another thread and you will immediately see the difference.

You are comparing the incomparable - videos carefully made in equal conditions by a professional with proper equipment with an amateur Iphone recording.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Well Gentlemen instead of losing your time and sleep, just arrange a demo.
At least in this way you will know of what you are talking about

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If I would have to see Van Gogh fabulous fields with a disgraceful wrong balance of color I would prefer not seeing them at all. Sorry! ;)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Sorry Tim, it is much deeper and relevant than your are suggesting. IMHO if members consider that the videos misrepresent the equipment being compared they should and must say so, clearly explaining it and be open minded to debate it in the thread carrying the comments.

BTW, can we know what is your exact position on the use of videos to compare cables?

Sorry Francisco, it is not an issue of someone thinking equipment (cables) are misrepresented in a video and that person has a deep-rooted moral obligation to bring the light of truth to the unwashed, protecting them from audio skullduggery. It is a debate about methodology - using videos to represent a stereo system. That is a topic broader than this thread. Imo, individual threads such as this should not be used to debate whether videos have value or what value they have or how to use them. Every single product thread with a video does not need that debate.

My position on use of videos to compare equipment? First I will say that if the video poster says the video is representative of what is heard from a system with the equipment in it, I am inclined to take the poster at his word, that is he is saying what he thinks. Second, if the poster tends to be rational or hyperbolic, I'll consider that, but my inclination is to trust people who are not serial ninnies. Third, a video is an anecdotal data point, it is neither inherently misleading nor the gospel. There are no standards for making or posting videos. A video may have entertainment value and it may spark interest in the thing it is about. I think we all agree that mp3 videos are not the same as in-person listening. My video playback is low quality. Fourth, I value the written word and consider a formal review of a product by someone who has lived with it for a while and can communicate effectively more valuable than a video. Fifth, I would not make a purchase decision based on a a pair of videos.

I am indulging you here soley out of courtesy. Videos - I can them or leave them and I'll still be an audiophile regardless.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
With all due respect, I think you are quite delusional at best with your system capability sir.

What??

How can a video of anything processed through a crappy smartphone microphone and compressed digital audio sound better than an actual high end system with uncompressed digital audio?

Your completely unlogical comment shows the entire delusion of the system video business for everyone to see. It's not a pretty sight, sir.

• Angry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What??

How can a video of anything processed through a crappy smartphone microphone and compressed digital audio sound better than an actual high end system with uncompressed digital audio?

Your completely unlogical comment shows the entire delusion of the system video business for everyone to see. It's not a pretty sight, sir.

Actually, his point is that comparing a video of a system to a in life system is silly and not what is the objective in the first place. What is most interesting is those who don't believe in videos don't try to understand what it is used for, and bring in this false noise of comparing it to actual systems

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Actually, his point is that comparing a video of a system to a in life system is silly and not what is the objective in the first place. What is most interesting is those who don't believe in videos don't try to understand what it is used for, and bring in this false noise of comparing it to actual systems

I don't think that was his point. Read again the exchange.

• Angry

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
interesting from the king of system compares. it's what we do here. denying that 800 pound gorilla in the room is the silly thing.

what the maker's objective might be, and how video's might be used by the watcher, are 2 vastly different things. and once a video is in the wind it's got a life and reality of it's own. i regretfully did a couple of video's and clearly i was on a different page than some watchers. that was enough for me to have my dark expectations confirmed.

for some particular groups of makers and watchers it's only positive. the video's here are not like that. they are open to all.

if i'm ever doing videos, it will take some resources and work to make something i can be comfortable putting out there. and i also need resources to hear them properly.

all that said i watch and enjoy video's and the playback side will likely get my attention for improvement much sooner than the production side (which will involve learning and work......if it's not fun i don't do it). youtube video's have lots of great content which i enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, people seem to have forgotten the first post in the thread. I think no one is objecting the use of the handheld casual mobile phone videos for entertainment or as information about their systems. The point is that the sound difference between the videos soundtrack is claimed to be the difference between the cables. ( I quote from post #1 "I am leaving these videos with you, to hear the difference between my old cables and the new setup")

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
interesting from the king of system compares. it's what we do here. denying that 800 pound gorilla in the room is the silly thing.

what the maker's objective might be, and how video's might be used by the watcher, are 2 vastly different things. and once a video is in the wind it's got a life and reality of it's own. i regretfully did a couple of video's and clearly i was on a different page than some watchers. that was enough for me to have my dark expectations confirmed.

for some particular groups of makers and watchers it's only positive. the video's here are not like that. they are open to all.

if i'm ever doing videos, it will take some resources and work to make something i can be comfortable putting out there. and i also need resources to hear them properly.

all that said i watch and enjoy video's and the playback side will likely get my attention for improvement much sooner than the production side (which will involve learning and work......if it's not fun i don't do it). youtube video's have lots of great content which i enjoy.

Mike that's true about posts as well. Many readers interpret posts quite differently from what the writer intends, there is nothing you can do about that. Except for not post or never describe. Every reader has an "interpretation responsibility" and many misuse it

Reactions: Bobvin and Vienna

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry Francisco, it is not an issue of someone thinking equipment (cables) are misrepresented in a video and that person has a deep-rooted moral obligation to bring the light of truth to the unwashed, protecting them from audio skullduggery. It is a debate about methodology - using videos to represent a stereo system. That is a topic broader than this thread. Imo, individual threads such as this should not be used to debate whether videos have value or what value they have or how to use them. Every single product thread with a video does not need that debate.

My position on use of videos to compare equipment? First I will say that if the video poster says the video is representative of what is heard from a system with the equipment in it, I am inclined to take the poster at his word, that is he is saying what he thinks. Second, if the poster tends to be rational or hyperbolic, I'll consider that, but my inclination is to trust people who are not serial ninnies. Third, a video is an anecdotal data point, it is neither inherently misleading nor the gospel. There are no standards for making or posting videos. A video may have entertainment value and it may spark interest in the thing it is about. I think we all agree that mp3 videos are not the same as in-person listening. My video playback is low quality. Fourth, I value the written word and consider a formal review of a product by someone who has lived with it for a while and can communicate effectively more valuable than a video. Fifth, I would not make a purchase decision based on a a pair of videos.

I am indulging you here soley out of courtesy. Videos - I can them or leave them and I'll still be an audiophile regardless.
No Tim, the general debate was triggered by the specific terms and conditions of the original post. Anyway it is nice to know we agree on almost all general points.

We always used particular threads to carry general debates in WBF - most of our more interesting debates arose that way and lasted for long before returning to the main subject. Freedom to post has long been a good think of WBF, only the official moderators were allowed to moderate the thread subjects. Currently members seems to feel free to suggest to others they should avoid posting in a particular thread and start a new thread - perhaps times are changing, I preferred the old ones.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I
If I would have to see Van Gogh fabulous fields with a disgraceful wrong balance of color I would prefer not seeing them at all. d
It is true that Bonzo did not convey my point.

What you can extract from videos of other uber system are: timbre, details, dynamics , micro , nuance, tempo and musicality.

If you feel that all of these above criteria of your system are better when playing the same song as some of the uber system through clips then i salute to you.

Reactions: marmota and Vienna

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It is true that Bonzo did not convey my point.

What you can extract from videos of other uber system are: timbre, details, dynamics , micro , nuance, tempo and musicality.

If you feel that all of these above criteria of your system are better when playing the same song as some of the uber system through clips then i salute to you.

Thank you for confirming the absurdity. Much appreciated.

A YouTube video, even if it were recorded perfectly, cannot convey all the information through an uber high end system due to the compressed digital audio format that it uses.

Yet let us pose for a moment the theoretical possibility that the video perfectly captures the uber system's performance. As I pointed out, this can be practically NOT be the case, but let's put that aside for a moment.

Even if I were to play back such a perfect video of an uber system through the best resource that I have, my own system (rather than a computer with headphones, for example), this system itself would still be the bottleneck.

So how could a video sound better through the best resource that I have, my own system, than my own system itself? How could it convey better timbre, details, macro and micro dynamics, nuance, tempo and musicality than the system it is playing through?

Do you see the logical absurdity?

And in practical terms, a YouTube video will always be limited in sound quality in the ways described. This fact heightens the absurdity of trying to convey an uber system's sound through a video even more.

Reactions: ack

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Thank you for confirming the absurdity. Much appreciated.

A YouTube video, even if it were recorded perfectly, cannot convey all the information through an uber high end system due to the compressed digital audio format that it uses.

Yet let us pose for a moment the theoretical possibility that the video perfectly captures the uber system's performance. As I pointed out, this can be practically NOT be the case, but let's put that aside for a moment.

Even if I were to play back such a perfect video of an uber system through the best resource that I have, my own system (rather than a computer with headphones, for example), this system itself would still be the bottleneck.

So how could a video sound better through the best resource that I have, my own system, than my own system itself? How could it convey better timbre, details, macro and micro dynamics, nuance, tempo and musicality than the system it is playing through?

Do you see the logical absurdity?

And in practical terms, a YouTube video will always be limited in sound quality in the ways described. This fact heightens the absurdity of trying to convey an uber system's sound through a video even
I am saying listening to Tang’s youtube video playing Reiner Scheherazde through his AS on your phone shows better timbre, dynamics than your own system in real life despite the obvious compression of the youtube format. Of course i cant debate this point fairly but given the difference in gear level i think its safe to assume that.

Reactions: marmota and Vienna

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am saying listening to Tang’s youtube video playing Reiner Scheherazde through his AS on your phone shows better timbre, dynamics than your own system in real life despite the obvious compression of the youtube format. Of course i cant debate this point fairly but given the difference in gear level i think its safe to assume that.

Thank you for laying bare the delusion of the video crowd in the most evident manner!

This is better than I ever hoped for.

No, all the horn system videos that I have heard have much worse dynamics than my own system. Why? Because the dynamics of the compressed digital audio format through YouTube are limiting, as are the dynamics through the crappy smartphone microphones.

And yes, I have heard the solo violin in Scheherazade both through Peter's actual system in person, and through a system video that he made. No comparison. Needless to say that the solo violin through my system also sounds much better than the crappy video sound.

I rest my case.

Reactions: ack and MasterChief

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing