Pass Lab owners - Check in!

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
Just got my first Pass amp in the other day from Mark at Reno HiFi. It’s a refurbished X250 and looks absolutely in mint condition. It also has an interesting distinction of having the rectangular black output transistors as seen in the .5 series amps rather than the metal cased devices most commonly used in the X250. It also has a black clad transformer. Mark said the amp had three revisions during its span of manufacturing and mine is from the final revision.

It’s currently breaking in so I can only state the sound of my X250 is very promising. View attachment 56791 View attachment 56792 View attachment 56793
Hi Rick

I see in your photo that you have Parasound. I was thinking about Parasound JC-1 vs Pass XA100.5. What do you think?

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
Hi Rick

I see in your photo that you have Parasound. I was thinking about Parasound JC-1 vs Pass XA100.5. What do you think?
Having never heard either of those amps I dare not make a recommendation. My Parasound A21 amp is very nice but the X250 steps up the performance quite handily. I strongly recommend auditioning both the JC1 and the Xa100.5.

Reactions: valkyrie

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Hello All,
We just took delivery of an AX30.8 from Reno Hifi and within an hour or two of listening, while the piece was still quite stone cold but wired into power, we are completely smitten. Just totally excited how good this piece will sound when played in.
Just a wonderful piece of gear.

ostrey93

Sep 11, 2018
Congrats on your new amp! If you like it now just wait. As it breaks in for a few hundred hours it keeps on getting better and better. What pre-amp / other gear are you running with it?

valkyrie

Sep 12, 2011
While a Pass fan of the first order, I have to admit that the JC-1 is an exceptional amplifier - in every way imaginable.

BTW: Most Pass amplifiers will deliver about 10% more power - continuously - than their rating. Same with the bias point - typically Pass biases his amps for about 10% of the rated power to be Class A - again - usually a bit more than the 10% default. Pass builds intensely musical equipment - that is very reliable.

Reactions: RickS

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
OOOhhh, those Divas! Apogee lust, congrats.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Nice. Enjoy.

Reactions: RickS

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I have the XA-25 and I am loving it! More than I expected, I even have my hardcore analog/tube friend wanting to borrow my amp for a listen in his system..
I recently built the Pass ACA amp for my office system.. was an enjoyable build and sounds very good !
Again, I got more than I was expecting, build and SQ wise.. Papa Pass is a class act and a fab audio designer/engineer.

Reactions: Protegimus

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
I currently have XA 100.5’s XVR1 active crossover, and X5. I bought the X5 in June 2000 and recently sent it back to Pass for recapping -so hopefully it’s good for another 20 yrs. I also bought dual x150’s a few years after original purchase of the X5 and several yrs ago traded them in at Reno HiFi towards the xa100.5’s. I bought the XVR1 from Mark at Reno HiFi at about the same time.

I use the XVR1‘s Hi-pass output to drive 2 of the X5 inputs which then provides speaker level outputs to dual Vandersteen 2wq subs-that is how the Vandys are designed, to take a first- order hi pass crossed at 80hi from the mains. The Low output from XVR1 is bypassed/full range and drives my mains speakers via the XA100.5’s.
The other 3 channels on the X5 are for center/rears on the HT side of the system.

I have emailed Kent English at Pass on occasion over the years with various questions about my system and he is always promptly responsive and informative -Pass Labs service after the sale is second to none.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 21

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
I'm using an XVR1 that I bought used to bi-amp TAD R1s. Andrew Jones was very helpful identifying the correct settings on the XVR1. The system sounds great. We sent the XVR1 to the factory have them look it over, and it works flawlessly. The amps are Benchmark ABH2s, four in mono.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Pass 260.8s
XP-22

PS: The XP-22 will be replaced in the next few weeks with an EMM Labs PRE.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing