Psvane Acme Series (new flagship series)

coverto

Jun 18, 2020
Hi all - longtime lurker and first-time poster here, with an "urgent question": I've been living with the EML XLS 300 for a few years now. Owned and liked the Elrogs under the original manufacturer until one of them blew up. Also owned the Takatsukis but found them a bit overly delicate and wispy with a small soundstage and just not enough power. Not long ago, I A/B'd the EMLs with a pair of Sophia Princess - not Royal. The latter were rougher sounding than the EMLs, which is what ultimately made them inferior. But they also had punchier dynamics, such that in many ways they were a more involving, toe-tapping presentation that I found extremely involving. I've been bugged about this ever since. I keep reading that the Royal Princess have reliability problems so am a bit scared of another Elrog-type situation. So I am wondering whether somebody could tell me whether the ACMEs or the Psvane WEs, or something else, would be eminently recommendable for those dynamics I crave? Should I not fear the Royal Princess, do they solve the rough edges of the cheaper Sophia models? Any comments/wisdom much appreciated, thx!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Hi all - longtime lurker and first-time poster here, with an "urgent question": I've been living with the EML XLS 300 for a few years now. Owned and liked the Elrogs under the original manufacturer until one of them blew up. Also owned the Takatsukis but found them a bit overly delicate and wispy with a small soundstage and just not enough power. Not long ago, I A/B'd the EMLs with a pair of Sophia Princess - not Royal. The latter were rougher sounding than the EMLs, which is what ultimately made them inferior. But they also had punchier dynamics, such that in many ways they were a more involving, toe-tapping presentation that I found extremely involving. I've been bugged about this ever since. I keep reading that the Royal Princess have reliability problems so am a bit scared of another Elrog-type situation. So I am wondering whether somebody could tell me whether the ACMEs or the Psvane WEs, or something else, would be eminently recommendable for those dynamics I crave? Should I not fear the Royal Princess, do they solve the rough edges of the cheaper Sophia models? Any comments/wisdom much appreciated, thx!
I had used Sophia Princess ( not Royal)300b as driver tube of Line Magnetic 508 amp before switching to Acme 300b.

The difference is drastic. Acme is much more transparent with more details, more bass slam, wider and deeper soundstage.

They give one year warranty and my Acme 300b had been working well for more than 1500 hours so far for 18 months.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

coverto

Jun 18, 2020
Thanks for the reply, Thomas - so... superior bass slam. Would you also say the Acmes beat on dynamics, microdynamics and toe-tapping factor in general? Have you compared the Acmes to the EMLs by any chance?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
No experience of EML.

If you want serious dynamics, you shall go for Nos We 300b made in 40's that will cost you 10k$ and up for pair.

Acme is pretty good for the money overall.

Last edited:

calloway

Nov 3, 2011
danville,va
Hi Everyone,

In an earlier post on this thread, I mentioned that I have managed to try my friend's Elrog 845 in my Line magnetic 845 premium integrated amplifier, vs the ACME 845. at that time I was impressed, and even though I thought ACME full set (845, 300b) was fabulous, I ended up getting an Elrog full set as well. they sound different for sure, and there is nothing wrong with tube rolling (except the damage done to your wallet!).

my own feeling, Elrogs are a better tube over all, but at a premium price as well. better highs, deeper bass, separation is superior, they sound "bigger" and livelier, they are certainly quieter. I'm not an expert in musical instruments to say which has better timbrel/tonality accuracy thou. however, since at such high end level tubes, it could be very much a matter of personal taste, and since its really hard to convey sound into words, and since one man's detailed sound could be another's bright/ harsh sound, I decided - since I have extra time with this quarantine situation - to record few tracks (All streamed from Qobuz) using my ZOOM H6 recorder (stereo mic cartridge), with full set of each. 12ax7 input tubes were my NOS telefunkan, 310a tubes were Psvane WE replicas, fixed. only changes were 845s and 300bs

quick idea about components of my setup:
LM845 premium integrated amp, Singapore edition modified by Robert lai,
Rockna wavedream Signature Balanced DAC (fresh out of oven with less than 50 hours on it), first impression; absolutely a magical DAC by the way. will put against AC Kassandra when I get the chance! for now let it break in.
temporarily using my Laptop with Singxer SU-1 for source, as I've sold my Aurender N10.
speakers are Cube Audio Nenuphar single drivers + dual Cube Sub 12, connected via high level input.
All Cabling is Audioquest, PSS or PSC+
ifi power stations for AC power and Ifi ipower DC bricks for Etherregen switch and Ubiquity Edge router SFP.
SR orange fuses and SR HFTs

I've attached few pictures below as well, since I was lazy to make a video. just FLAC files recorded.
please find Sample recordings by copy/paste this Dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/80fr4d4ysjgrnjv/AABOm0yYaVqXOHyVoT8pbN71a?dl=0

I will try my best to keep them uploaded there permanently!

hope that my selection of tracks would give a good idea about differences. please note, I was hand holding the ZOOM H6, didn't go through extreme measures by any means rather than attempting to keep db level same for each different set of tubes, during same tracks. and, by giving each set like an hour to warm up.
very slight changes in db might be still present, or occasionally you might hear my fingers slide on the recorder chassis - I apologize, but an idea of how each of these tubes sound like is better than no idea I guess, just trying to help curious people out there :) please use headphones or in ears, this is a stereo recorder and will get you closest possible to being in my actual room.

I'm gladly keeping both sets by the way, there is something I still like about ACME!

View attachment 63713 View attachment 63714 View attachment 63715 View attachment 63716 View attachment 63717
Saleh84...Great looking system..I am sure it sounds amazing..I will be buy two matched pairs of Psvane ACME 845s very soon. I have the ACME 300B already. I liked them better than the Elrog 300Bs...by a slight margin though.

calloway

Nov 3, 2011
danville,va
thanks for your comments. i would love to hear your thoughts on the ACMEs. I have an updated picture of my system with my 2 new REL 212 SE subs but can't seem to upload the pic...

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Thinking of buying PSVANE ACME 845 tubes.
Looking at the specs they seem to be a substitute for original 845 like RCA. Is this correct?
As the NAF 845 do have auto-bias i don´t want to risk damages
Thanks for your answers!

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I believe they should be a direct substitute for the RCAs. Feel free to reach out to Rachel of Grant Fidelity for confirmation.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Thanks.
Now they are in the house but they seem not to fit in my NAF 845. There is a hum which i don´t have with 845B....
maybe the AutoBias does not match

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have their ACME 300B tubes ..one in each of my SET mono blocks and will be buying 2 matched pairs of the ACME 845s soon..They are great tubes.

What other 300B brands have you compared the ACME 300B to?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
LoL.

It means I cant answer his question on feedback of Acme tubes in tube amps.

No, I am NOT sorry about using small SS monoblocs that can deliver 1300wps into 0.5ohms and do so in a stable fashion. I thus get extreme control of my woofers and nigh unlimited dynamics.

Order some Scintillas!:)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have a pair of Acme 300Bs and Acme 805s for sale. PM me if interested.
Sorry for OT:
No more Line Magnetic 508ia amplifier? :eek:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Sorry for OT:
No more Line Magnetic 508ia amplifier? :eek:

I have two sets of Acme 300Bs. One has always been used in my amp (LM 508ia) and the other was used for some time in my Golden Gate DAC. After AD1n tubes were discovered for the GG, the Acme 300B hasn't been my preferred tube so it's been sitting collecting dust.

I'm loving what a pair of RCA 805s are doing in the Line Magnetic so I am leaning towards exploring other NOS 805s. I don't believe in sitting on spare current production tubes unlike NOS classics that gain value over time and you may not be able to find in the future.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Line Magnetic 508 or 805 is a dream amp for tube roller.

It uses one 6sl7 and pairs of 6sn7, 300B and 805.

Thus there are almost ininite combination of tubes.

;)

It has good bass control over most speaker with 88db or up.

Reactions: JoeyGun

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing