QSA : My take on their expensive products

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I said that, personally, fuse rolling would lead to audio neurosis-- for me. It looks like you're a awfully defensive given your response...

Reactions: Iving

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
I said that, personally, fuse rolling would lead to audio neurosis-- for me. It looks like you're a awfully defensive given your response...

Not defensive at all. Your comments have no value since you have never heard a QSA fuse in your system. You speak from a position of ignorance. Please let us know how a QSA red fuse sounds in your Extreme.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I would invite you to read the the actual words of my original post and then you might realize your paroxysm of defensiveness and personal attack was a bit extreme. My actual words were intended to communicate that I, personally, would be driven batty by rolling fuses, particularly when you have to 1. burn them in, 2. figure the right direction for your component by trial and error which is made more difficult by not knowing if said fuse is yet burned in or not, and.... the coup d'etat, 3. having to factor in the possibility that the directional fuse's direction is mislabeled in the wrong direction.

Definitely, not this audiophiles cup of decaf, but by all means, enjoy if this works for you!

Reactions: auricgoldfinger

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Being in the same price bracket, anyone compared QSA Yellow to SR Purple?
Yes - head to head in the Modwright PS 9.0 power supply. Loved and ended up keeping the SR Purple which matched the resolution of the QSA Yellow yet was very balanced, natural sounding and musical. Found the QSA Yellow to be very resolving but clinical sounding and bright in this application.

Exocer

Apr 23, 2020
At this point I have tried:

1. QSA Light Blue: Dac, server LPS, LPS for USB card, AMP.
2. QSA Light Violet: DAC, currently breaking in.
3. QSA Yellow: Server LPS, LPS for USB card
4. SR Purple: Server LPS, Amp, LPS for USB card

Today, all 3 three light blue fuses have been upgraded. Two will be repurposed and one will be sold (for the Yggy).

Two were upgraded to SR Purple.
One upgraded to QSA Light Violet (dac).

My QSA Yellow is the digital version. It sounded better than SR Purple in my server LPS. It was more transparent, with more damping/control/texture in the bass. A bit more "in your face" and dynamic than SR Purple in this usecase. This is why it stayed there.

SR Purple in the amp was quite a bit better than QSA Blue there (I have not tried Yellow).

SR Purple was substantially better than QSA Light Blue in the USB card LPS.

I now have one extra QSA Light blue fuse I plan to sell.

The remaining Light Blues will go to LPS's that have no fuses at the moment. It will be interesting to see what having no fuse and having a decent fuse will do.

What I will say is QSA Light blue in the Yggy was an eye opening experience. QSA Light Violet is still breaking in but within the first 24 hours it has transformed my listening experience. Much improved instrument placement, more detail, more slam and musicality. This will probably be my endgame fuse for this DAC.

Cheers,
-Rob

Reactions: CKKeung

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

Today, all 3 three light blue fuses have been upgraded. Two will be repurposed and one will be sold (for the Yggy).

My QSA Yellow is the digital version. It sounded better than SR Purple in my server LPS. It was more transparent, with more damping/control/texture in the bass. A bit more "in your face" and dynamic than SR Purple in this usecase. This is why it stayed there.

SR Purple in the amp was quite a bit better than QSA Blue there (I have not tried Yellow).

The remaining Light Blues will go to LPS's that have no fuses at the moment. It will be interesting to see what having no fuse and having a decent fuse will do.

What I will say is QSA Light blue in the Yggy was an eye opening experience. QSA Light Violet is still breaking in but within the first 24 hours it has transformed my listening experience. Much improved instrument placement, more detail, more slam and musicality. This will probably be my endgame fuse for this DAC.

Cheers,
-Rob
Thanks Rob for such an interesting post
I haven't tried SR Purple so can't comment on that but have the QSA Yellow and Violet . They are both very good in my system, but the the Violet is definitely superior to the yellow as you would expect given that it is more expensive.
No immediate plans to upgrade, but may well be tempted by either a red for the power block power cable (currently a Violet),or a red receptacle for the mains outlet. Both similarly priced.
They have made a major improvement to my system and very pleased with them

Reactions: Exocer

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021

Cheers,
-Rob
Is the QSA Light Violet better than SR purple for the DAC?

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I tried both QSA and SR purple.
It depends what you're looking for.
The ones to compare would be the yellow vs the purple as they are in the same price category.

I think the QSA fuses are quite special, I tried different colors and you get a house sound, just more of it as you go up the chain.
I find it quite consistent. But their signature is quite recognisable.

I tried 2 SR purple fuses, one in my dac and one in my amp and I really didn't like them, it made the sound overly smooth and milky and although the soundstage appeared bigger it seemed artificial. They didn't do it for me.

I'm considering adding QSA fuses but the ones that would make sense are probably the Silver and I'm not yet ready to spend 10k$ for 2 fuses.

Reactions: PhoenixRising

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I tried both QSA and SR purple.
It depends what you're looking for.
The ones to compare would be the yellow vs the purple as they are in the same price category.

I think the QSA fuses are quite special, I tried different colors and you get a house sound, just more of it as you go up the chain.
I find it quite consistent. But their signature is quite recognisable.

I tried 2 SR purple fuses, one in my dac and one in my amp and I really didn't like them, it made the sound overly smooth and milky and although the soundstage appeared bigger it seemed artificial. They didn't do it for me.

I'm considering adding QSA fuses but the ones that would make sense are probably the Silver and I'm not yet ready to spend 10k$ for 2 fuses.
I found the QSA Yellow to sound clinical to bright. SR purple was just as resolving but much more natural and musical sounding.

Exocer

Apr 23, 2020
I did not try SR Purple in the DAC. I compared QSA Light Blue to Light Violet in the dac. The SR Purple went to my amp and USB card LPS (SJ DC4).

Needless to say, QSA Light Violet is significantly better than QSA Light blue in the dac.

Reactions: PhoenixRising

cd45123

Jan 25, 2021
I found the SR Purple to be better than the QSA Violet. It was more musical or just a better flow, better dynamics, etc. Still great detail. So good that this made one of my Rega amps sound at the same level of a LFD NCSE iii that I demoed. That right there had me convinced of how good these fuses can be.

I may try Red or Red/Black if they’re that much better than SR Purple, but this new SR fuse is such a better value..

Reactions: Danne75

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I have owned the QSA blue, yellow, and red.

They all have a gloss/sheen that might be too bright for some systems.

I saw someone posting about the brightness of the yellow, and it's probably due to this.

I'm surprised more reviews haven't mentioned this. It's instantly recognizable.

Reactions: matakana

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

I saw someone posting about the brightness of the yellow, and it's probably due to this.

I posted that the yellow was not only bright but clinical sounding in the Modwright PS 9.0 power supply. I chose the SR Purple instead (after head to head comparison) which was just as resolving but much more balanced and musical.

Reactions: matakana

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

My experience is of the yellow and the violet.
The violet gives a more rounded sound in my system whereas I found the yellow was more stark. I didn't notice any sheen with the yellow. It's an effect I experienced with some then top of the range Tellurium cables I auditioned and rejected some years ago.

vert

Oct 26, 2015
My experience is of the yellow and the violet.
The violet gives a more rounded sound in my system whereas I found the yellow was more stark. I didn't notice any sheen with the yellow. It's an effect I experienced with some then top of the range Tellurium cables I auditioned and rejected some years ago.

There's definitely a house sound. And I feel it's harder to distinguish between recordings with this effect.

But I do like the red fuse. It's musical and dynamic.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Vert
Interesting. As I said very happy with my yellow and violets and a number of reports elsewhere about SR purple relability, though to be fair SR have replace blown fuses. In both cases there may be system dependency issues but they are not easy to identify.
Good to hear about the red. I will give them a try later n the year.

Reactions: Exocer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing