QSA : My take on their expensive products

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I'll share my experience with QSA fuses. I've played around with fuses over the years, enough to know they can make a difference. I've tried a variety of inexpensive fuses from the likes of Bussman and Schurter. Yeah, they get the job done but that's about it. I've tried fuses from HiFi Tuning, Audio Magic (including the Beeswax SHD), and the full range of the SR fuses including their new Purple fuse. It was with SR's Orange fuse that I felt the fuse became a necessity. Before that, it was more I could take it or leave it. But even with the SR Orange, the improvement wasn't huge. It was a tweak level improvement that was worth its asking price of $150. If there is a downside to SR fuses, they are prone to blowing and I've blown 6-7 of these fuses over the years.

I decided to try a QSA fuse after reading about how their $28 entry level fuse was performing about as well as the SR Orange fuse. Yes, I saw QSA was also selling a Silver fuse for $5000 USD (the $10,000 Gold fuse is not yet available) and I said to myself there was no way I'd ever buy a Silver fuse but I took the chance on a Red fuse for my preamp (which has a soft start) and this fuse retails for $1422. These fuses can be purchased here in the U.S. through tweekgeek.com and Mike Garner, the owner, is excellent to deal with but the Red fuses are special order and so I went straight to QSA in Hong Kong and they had the fuse in stock. I wired them the necessary funds and I received the fuse here in California after about 5 days. The Red fuse came with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Their warranty also indicates they will replace a blown fuse up to 3 times within the first 2 years after purchase.

View attachment 84648

To cut to the chase, this Red fuse is amazing. It isn't just a little better than the SR Orange, it is a Grand Canyon chasm like difference. Yes, the ground floor drops but the presentation is livelier and more dynamic. Bass is more plentiful, cleaner, tighter, and better defined. Vocals have more presence. Treble is more refined. But ultimately, what was so good is how natural everything sounds. You can play louder without strain or fatigue and you can listen at whisper volumes because there's so much more presence. After a week, I had enough. I went back to QSA and asked to send back this fuse in exchange for a Silver fuse and so I did what I said I would never do. I also ordered a Red fuse specifically for my SGM Extreme. QSA makes fuses expressly for digital gear that is designed to address HF noise better and so obviously, these fuses are intentionally filtering. I already knew this because I have bypassed fuses before and I know what that sounds like. The improvement in SQ from a Red fuse was far greater than what I have heard by bypassing a fuse.

The Silver analog fuse (for my preamp) and the Red digital fuse (for my SGM Extreme) arrived 3 days ago:

View attachment 84649

Yeah, I'm a crazy lunatic for spending this much money on fuses but I'm a happy crazy lunatic. As good as the Red fuse is, the Silver fuse is just better and not by a small margin. It does all the things a Red fuse does but takes it up several notches. The clarity over the Red fuse is just unbelievable. More space, images have greater density (but not at the expense of speed or agility), and unreal transient response. The presentation sounds more relaxed but the Silver fuse is capable of explosiveness that the Red fuse can't match. Supposedly, the Red fuse takes 2 days to burn in while the Silver fuse takes 7-10 days but at day 3, the combo of Red in the Extreme and Silver in my preamp is really as good as I could hope for. There's no way these fuses will be returned.

I have tried the Silver in both a Vinnie Rossi L2 preamp with Takatsuki 300B tubes and a D'Agostino Momentum HD and with either preamp, the jump in SQ is beyond what I'm getting from anything else I've tried with either of these preamps. To go from the stock Electro Harmonix 300Bs to the Takatsukis is a nice jump in SQ but not as big as the improvement gained from an SR Orange to the QSA Silver fuse. The improvement gained from the stock footers on the Extreme to a quad of CS2 1.5 footers is a nice gain but is not as big as what I'm hearing from just the Red fuse. Not really even close. I'm evaluating a $9k Shunyata Omega QR power cord for the preamp and the gain over an inexpensive $200 TG SLVR power cord is nowhere near as substantial as what I'm hearing from the Silver fuse. I'm currently evaluating the new Synergistic Research SX Ground block with a full loom of SX ground cables:

View attachment 84650

The impact of completely grounding my entire system with this >$10k ground block + cables is substantial but the impact of a single QSA fuse is still greater.

If you're the kind of audiophile who is open to spending $10-20K for a power cord, then something like a Silver fuse could make sense, otherwise, QSA makes fuses that start at $28 but having evaluated various power cords over the years including the High Fidelity Cables Pro Series, Nordost Odin 2, and others, I have yet to hear a PC that makes the same difference as this QSA Silver fuse.

I have no affiliation with QSA. They are based in Hong Kong and I am based in the U.S. I have my guesses but I really have no idea what they have done to these fuses. I have no measurements I can offer and I suspect they don't either. Even if they did, I don't think measurements would convey just how large the gap in SQ I'm hearing with these fuses. Yes, these are sacrificial items and eventually, they could blow although they are willing to replace or repair their fuses during the warranty period. You could always choose to uprate the fuse but then you would have to accept the risks that go along with that and so consequently buying a fuse this expensive is not something I can condone but in my case, I already know I will be exchanging this Red fuse I bought for the SGM Extreme and will upgrade it to a Silver.
Not having heard any of the fuses, let’s assume your assessment is correct, I’m still having trouble to equate the value of the tweak with the proposed improvement they introduce to a sound quality.
Would you value Chevy Camaro the same as Porsche 911 Turbo only because they make 0-60 mph in the same 3.5 seconds or corner with the same lateral G?
Hardly
I feel the same principal applies here

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I will buy a Black-Red power receptacle this week.
I can't "unhear" the naturalness it brings about!!!
And I think one Black-Red is still affordable for me a working class in HK.
:cool:

I have got mine on Sat. :cool:

IMG_20211112_223126.jpg

Drpie

Feb 22, 2019
@CKKeung
Which outlet will you compare with?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The HK dealer lent us Red, Black-Red and Ultra Black-Red receptacles.
We compared them with SR Blue and Furutech GTX-D NCF(rhodium plated) receptacles.

My plan is to install my QSA Black-Red onto a mains wallsocket, replacing the currently employed Oyaide R-1.
May update the result here afterward.

Reactions: NanoSword

Drpie

Feb 22, 2019
To your taste, do BlackRed sockets make the same improvement as BlackRed fuses?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
To your taste, do BlackRed sockets make the same improvement as BlackRed fuses?
Yes, very similar sonic effect.
Pls refer to my first several posts on this thread.

Reactions: NanoSword

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I can't stand the itch and replace my Black-Red receptacle with the higher Ultra Black-Red receptacle
:p

IMG_20211120_142142.jpg

There are 4 minute gemstones on the Ultra Black-Red whereas the Black-Red has two only.
IMG_20211120_142244.jpg
IMG_20211120_142331.jpg

This is what a friend of mine who has also replaced his B-R to Ultra B-R said :
"Tried the ultra in my system more in depth tonight, confirming what I had heard it in LS system twice briefly. It is not about frequency extension, not more high or low. It is all about timing and coherence. It keeps smearing of sound to a minimum such that every instrument has its own space and envelope, and every musical line can be easily followed. ???????ultra, ??????????????? (natural)?"
:cool:

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Congrats, you seem to be having fun with this.

Normal Red/Black was already a wild decision. :)

Your thoughts on how it performs after removing Oyaide should be quite interesting.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
That receptacle looks like someone took a Hubbell apart, spray painted it, put it back together and added FoQ tape.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
That receptacle looks like someone took a Hubbell apart, spray painted it, put it back together and added FoQ tape.
Maybe, but we don't really care.
It's the sound that matters.
We are convinced after comparing the Ultra Back-Red to SR Blue, Furutech rhodium and QSA Red in 3 diff home systems.

BTW QSA has just successfully developed the higher Silver receptecle.
This time I have no interest because it will be beyond my budget for sure.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Yes performance counts. I am ordering my 3rd set of fuses from them. I am wondering what they will do in my Dartzeel nhb108?

Reactions: Pokey77

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yes performance counts. I am ordering my 3rd set of fuses from them. I am wondering what they will do in my Dartzeel nhb108?
Congrats!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
FWIW. I eliminated the receptacles in my system. I hardwire to the branch circuit and use the IEC at the equipment as the equipment disconnect. Its not NEC compliant so I can not advocate professionally to do so. But its by far better than any receptacle I have heard.

I only mention this as I am always curious what receptacle cord combination can beat it. When it was said on this thread a fuse is better than bypassing the block and going direct to the input transformer, my interest was peaked. Of course, I still can not spec a receptacle other than one with child proof shutters.

And I believe some sort of commentary pertaining to the cord used in combination with the receptacle is important. These are 2 of the weak links in the power chain, coming together. Its a critical interface. What sort of metal coatings on the cord prongs are working well with the receptacle. Are some better than another.

Also, what equipment is reacting best. Front end. Amps. Digital. Analog. Just questions to better dial in where optimal results are to be had.
Rex

Drpie

Feb 22, 2019
Yes, very similar sonic effect.
Pls refer to my first several posts on this thread.
Thank you for your experience. My system with QSA Yellow/Violet/Red fuses shows a similar result.
Now in the process of ordering sockets and fuses 51mm for dedicated lines. In what place should I make a priority in your opinion? Sockets vs. dedicated fuses?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I bought blue in the past. I may try one step up.
Thanks.
I am using yellow and violet and I am very pleased and impressed with them both.
The yellows are more analytical while violets give a more rounded sound in my system. They definitely make a difference for the better but obviously the precise character of the resultant sound will be affected by the nature of any particular system.
To date all the evidence from other users is that the further up the range you go the better the results. Another Vitus 030 owner went to red and although I have not heard his I am assured that the reds are even better.
I will try the reds in the new year despite their expense but no plans at present to go any higher.
I will look forward to reading your further experiences

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Thanks.
I am using yellow and violet and I am very pleased and impressed with them both.
The yellows are more analytical while violets give a more rounded sound in my system. They definitely make a difference for the better but obviously the precise character of the resultant sound will be affected by the nature of any particular system.
To date all the evidence from other users is that the further up the range you go the better the results. Another Vitus 030 owner went to red and although I have not heard his I am assured that the reds are even better.
I will try the reds in the new year despite their expense but no plans at present to go any higher.
Thanks to tell us the difference between yellow and violet. Waiting for your comments on red.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Thanks.
Where do you purchase from here in the uk, thankyou.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing