QSA : My take on their expensive products

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have had every SR fuse except the new purple. I now have QSA yellow in all of my components. I have been thinking about upgrading to Red in one component or two at the most. Which components should I focus on in the chain if I can only have two?
Mono Amps
Pre-Amp
Lampi Pacific
Lucas Audio LDMS music server.

Does one component have a bigger impact over the others? Should all the components have the same fuse brand? I can't justify 5 red's right now. People on Audiogon are saying the SR Purple is better than the Orange and the QSA yellow. I had to really listen hard to hear the improvement from the SR orange to the QSA Yellow. Thoughts?

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I have had every SR fuse except the new purple. I now have QSA yellow in all of my components. I have been thinking about upgrading to Red in one component or two at the most. Which components should I focus on in the chain if I can only have two?
Mono Amps
Pre-Amp
Lampi Pacific

Does one component have a bigger impact over the others? Should all the components have the same fuse brand? I can't justify 5 red's right now. People on Audiogon are saying the SR Purple is better than the Orange and the QSA yellow. I had to really listen hard to hear the improvement from the SR orange to the QSA Yellow. Thoughts?
I'm in the source first camp so I would insert red into the DAC first. I'd be happy to live with both yellow and red fuses mixed, won't be too keen to upgrade everything in once.

How do you like Lucas Audio, have you compared it with any other streamer/server before?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Mono Amps
Pre-Amp
Lampi Pacific

Give priority to the power supply and to the amps. One red on the preamp power cable will benefit all your sources

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Can I ask for a synopsis on where the fuse conversation is now. If I were to want a fuse for my Dartzeel amp, and were willing to spend say $200 each. What options via all brands are there.

I would want a fuse that is clean and clear. The Dartzeel is a pretty warm, kid glove amp. It could handle a little more pop and snap.

FWIW, I put a QSA Blue in my tube amp. A 3 amp fuse across the IEC input. Same place it would go in the Dartzeel. I heard nothing. Maybe it did something. The amps sound very nice. I did not do a back to back. But it definitely did not jump out and tell me I modified the power like a power cable or circuit breaker change.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Can I ask for a synopsis on where the fuse conversation is now. If I were to want a fuse for my Dartzeel amp, and were willing to spend say $200 each. What options via all brands are there.

I would want a fuse that is clean and clear. The Dartzeel is a pretty warm, kid glove amp. It could handle a little more pop and snap.

FWIW, I put a QSA Blue in my tube amp. A 3 amp fuse across the IEC input. Same place it would go in the Dartzeel. I heard nothing. Maybe it did something. The amps sound very nice. I did not do a back to back. But it definitely did not jump out and tell me I modified the power like a power cable or circuit breaker change.
At the $200 price point I would go with the SR Purple which improves resolution while remaining very balanced. The similarly priced QSA Yellow I found to have too cool and clinical a sonic signature.

Reactions: Kingrex

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

I don't have a problem with Cellcbern's comments.
I suspect that without trying both the SR Purple and the QSA Yellow it's not possible to say which would work best with your Dart. Given the warm nature of your amp it may well be that that would balance well with the QSA Yellows greater resolution and give you the more pop and snap that you are looking for

Reactions: Cellcbern

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I agree with both comments above. With the quality of your amp, I still believe you can get an uptick in performance but not the jump you are hoping for. At your price point just buy one of each and compare. You have a 30-day guarantee on the SR Purple. Like I said above I have had every SR fuse except the new purple. I currently have all QSA yellow.

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019

Have you tried reversing the direction of the blue fuse? I have seen reports that QSA has mislabeled the direction in a few instances.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
In a back to back of amps yeaterday, I was liking the Dartzeel richness. I don't want to move away from that. I would appreciate more clarity and pop if its available.

The tube amps could almost be sharp. A smoothing of the circuit would be good.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
In a back to back of amps yeaterday, I was liking the Dartzeel richness. I don't want to move away from that. I would appreciate more clarity and pop if its available.

The tube amps could almost be sharp. A smoothing of the circuit would be good.
Hi
Audiophile fuses do change the sound and usually for the better, but the only way to know is to substitute such a fuse for the stock fuse. You can then decide if the new fuse gives you an improved sound and if so job done. If you do not like the sound with the new fuse you can just remove it and restore the original fuse.
Bear in mind also that changing the fuses on the power cable to your amp as well as the internal amp fuse also affects the sound. Changing both will have the greatest effect for which you will need two fuses of the appropriate values and that is equally reversible if the results are not to your tastes.
In my experience the QSA yellows are more resolving so should temper the warmth of the Dart but you can only determine that by trying them.
I hope that helps.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
So it looks the QSA yellow is kind of Analytical based on the user opinion.
what is the more expensive QSA red sounding like ?
please share your opinion .

enyone tried QSA black/red ?

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I just ordered two yellow, one for the farad powering the nucleus and one for the ediscreation switch.
I will see the improvement and take it from there.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I just received the fuses and installed them.
Does anyone know the break in time?
The dynamics are a step back, I think because they are not broken in yet
What's your experience?
(Yes I did install them in the right direction)

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
What's your experience?

Please try the fuse in both directions. There are reports of direction being mislabeled on a few fuses. According to QSA, they generally require 2 days for break in, but the silver fuses need 7 days.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
What's your experience?
I have 3 yellow and three violets which have been a great success in my system.
I was told they need about 20 hours for the initial burn in but take around 70 hours before they are fully burnt in

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Thanks guys, I will wait for the sound to settle to make any critical observations.
However, one of the fuses was for the switch where my TV is connected as well and I can say that the picture from streaming is much better.
I'm sure I'd make a lot of friends on other forums for saying that changing a fuse on a switch makes my picture better :D:D:D

Reactions: Stu G Todd

wil

Jul 22, 2015
P
Please try the fuse in both directions. There are reports of direction being mislabeled on a few fuses. According to QSA, they generally require 2 days for break in, but the silver fuses need 7 days.
I think it speaks volumes that they would put a label on backwards particularly considering the prices they’re charging. Personally, fuse rolling would be a recipe for audio neuroses.

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
P

I think it speaks volumes that they would put a label on backwards particularly considering the prices they’re charging. Personally, fuse rolling would be a recipe for audio neuroses.

Whatever, dude. Why troll this thread? Nothing better to do with your life?

wil

Jul 22, 2015
It's not trolling -- it's speaking an opinion about a product that I find questionable. I guess that really bothers you, hence your attempt at a personal insult. Enjoy your fuses.

Reactions: Iving

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
It's not trolling -- it's speaking an opinion about a product that I find questionable. I guess that really bothers you, hence your attempt at a personal insult. Enjoy your fuses.

Someone with your system is hardly in a position to cast stones about audio neuroses. Glass houses.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing