Record Cleaning Machines

Myles,

It would be an acid test to see if the Klaudio Ultrasonic LP cleaner would leave anything behind ( or not) in the gooves after just one cleaning cycle for your Altas. ;)

Yes. BTW the same happens with my friend's Atlas who has a VPI Typhoon. That sucker must really get down to the bottom of the groove!

Yes. BTW the same happens with my friend's Atlas who has a VPI Typhoon. That sucker must really get down to the bottom of the groove!

my Ortofon MC Anna is the same, compared to previous cartridges, the Anna seems to find quite a bit more stuff in the grooves. after the Audio Deske cleaning not much at all, but otherwise i need to use my Zerodust much more frequently than previous cartridges.

not sure exactly why.

my Ortofon MC Anna is the same, compared to previous cartridges, the Anna seems to find quite a bit more stuff in the grooves. after the Audio Deske cleaning not much at all, but otherwise i need to use my Zerodust much more frequently than previous cartridges.

not sure exactly why.

Perhaps if Jonathan is reading this, he can answer this question!

It seems that the difference in the amount of dust accumulated on the stylus is at least partially related to the stylus profile. The Ortofon Anna that Mike uses has their 'Replicant' stylus, which is claimed to have a very large contact area that closely replicates the cutting stylus' profile. Other stylus types such as conical or elliptical have a much smaller area of contact with the groove, that will not collect as much dust since they don't contact as much of the groove's surface. Like everything in high end audio though there are tradeoffs, with the more advanced stylus types being much more critical of setup parameters, particularly in the setting of their azimuth, VTA and SRA. More basic stylus profiles are not as demanding of their setup but generally speaking will not track as well or be as revealing as a properly setup cartridge using a more advanced stylus profile.

The Double Matrix has micro fiber strips on it's top and bottom arms that actually scrub the vinyl. The motor, which in my unit is dead quiet also reverses enabling scrubbing in both directions. The machine also cleans both sides of the record at the same time all with the push of a couple of buttons. In drying mode, both machines are relatively loud but the Clearaudio dries in two turns of the record, the Audio Desk takes 4-5 minutes. In my experience, the Clearaudio cleaned record appears cleaner and has less surface noise than a record cleaned on the Audio Desk.

As I stated earlier, both machines are very good but, IMO, while the Audio Desk is easier to use, the Clearaudio does a better job of cleaning.

Frank,

Is your DoubleMatrix the Professional version with the push buttons in an arc or the older DoubleMatrix RCM? The ClearAudio datasheet of the Professional states that the vacuum motors of the new version are much less noisier.

I was recently informed that the AudioDesk I have ordered sometime ago will probably not be delivered before the end of September - I am seriously considering getting a DoubleMatrix Professional. BTW, do you really have to stand the relatively loud noise of the Audio-Desk drying a record for 4-5 minutes?

Frank,

Is your DoubleMatrix the Professional version with the push buttons in an arc or the older DoubleMatrix RCM? The ClearAudio datasheet of the Professional states that the vacuum motors of the new version are much less noisier.

I was recently informed that the AudioDesk I have ordered sometime ago will probably not be delivered before the end of September - I am seriously considering getting a DoubleMatrix Professional. BTW, do you really have to stand the relatively loud noise of the Audio-Desk drying a record for 4-5 minutes?

Not if you aren't in the same room :)

Frank,

Yes, mine is the newer version with the buttons in an arc. The vacuum motor may be less noisy but it's still noisy. As I said earlier, the Clearaudio dries a record in a matter of seconds, the AD takes 4 minutes or so. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine. Certainly the Audio Deske is the easiest to use.

It seems we are in presence of a noisy ultra-sonics RCM - never noticed it ... Should an audiophile have a listening room and a cleaning room separated by an isolation door?

And if you don't hear the RCM washing and drying, is the record really clean? :)

It seems we are in presence of a noisy ultra-sonics RCM - never noticed it ... Should an audiophile have a listening room and a cleaning room separated by an isolation door?

my 2 RCM's are in the hallway right outside my room. I can hear the buzzer at the end of the Audio Deske clean cycle, or I can mute the music and hear whether the blow dry part of the cycle is going. I think having the RCM's outside but close is ideal if you can do that.

sometimes I leave the door slightly open if i'm doing lots of cleaning, but mostly I close the door.

Got my Audio Deske back after it took a six week trip to germany. The black roller wheels had locked up and it couldnt be fixed in USA. Set it up and got ready to get caught up on new records I had bought while it was gone, still not working right. Now its NOT sending the water through the filter sponge at all, instead its being forced back into the holding tank during the cleaning cycle. (Like reverse??) Dont think its cleaning either, but not sure on that. But have not seen a single bubble on the three records I tried. Any one else have this problem?

Last edited:
that a real bummer. Maybe they reversed the polarity on the pump? I hope they get you a new one quickly.

The water forced back into the tank in a non issue according to ultradisk. I guess mine never did it before but its normal. Going to try some things via phone after work today and hopefully it wont have to go back.

Any updates to this thread?

KL Audio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

new guy in town.

I am trying out a new RCM. the KL Audio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

it's a one-button machine like the Audio Desk. actually, it's a 'no' button machine. you place the Lp in the slot and it automatically cleans and dries it. you can walk away and come back later. it 'beeps' when it's done. you can vary the minutes of cleaning and drying. it uses about 1/2 gallon of distilled water per 50-100 Lps depending. I used a funnel to pour in the water, there is a window on the front that shows 'min' and max' for water level as you fill it. very easy to use and intuitive for dummies like me.

it only uses distilled water and ultrasonic cleaning, there is no cleaning fluid of any kind and no brushes. nothing touches the Lp but water and the ultrasonic bubble action.

it uses a 200 watt ultrasonic unit, my understanding is that the Audio Desk uses approximately a 10 watt ultrasonic unit. so the KL Audio has 20x the ultrasonic cleaning action of the Audio Desk.

how well does it work? so far, I've only cleaned a couple of Lps; but they came out 100% dry and clean and sound wonderful. maybe a touch more pristine sounding than the Audio Desk, but it's too soon to draw any conclusions. there are fewer moving parts than the Audio Desk since it does not need to spin the brushes, but it still spins the Lp. it's built really well, and my understanding is that it's stainless steel inside for durability.

it's relatively quiet but it does emit a raspy sort of noise (like 'pink' noise) during the ultrasonic cycle.....so you might not want it in the same room as you are listening in. in my situation it's with the other RCM's right outside my room, and I don't hear it in my room with the door closed and the music playing, but I did hear the 'beep' when it was done.

works for me!:D

i'm into easy. this is easy.

here it is next to the current best RCM's on the market....the Audio Desk and the Loricraft PRC4 Delux. we will see how it does.

KL Audio RCM-1 (1 of 1).jpgKL Audio RCM-2 (1 of 1).jpgKL Audio RCM-3 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Mike,
I like my bagels lightly toasted! :D

If you have this machine do you need any other cleaning devices?

new guy in town.

I am trying out a new RCM. the KL Audio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

it's a one-button machine like the Audio Desk. actually, it's a 'no' button machine. you place the Lp in the slot and it automatically cleans and dries it. you can walk away and come back later. it 'beeps' when it's done. you can vary the minutes of cleaning and drying. it uses about 1/2 gallon of distilled water per 50-100 Lps depending. I used a funnel to pour in the water, there is a window on the front that shows 'min' and max' for water level as you fill it. very easy to use and intuitive for dummies like me.

it only uses distilled water and ultrasonic cleaning, there is no cleaning fluid of any kind and no brushes. nothing touches the Lp but water and the ultrasonic bubble action.

it uses a 200 watt ultrasonic unit, my understanding is that the Audio Desk uses approximately a 10 watt ultrasonic unit. so the KL Audio has 20x the ultrasonic cleaning action of the Audio Desk.

how well does it work? so far, I've only cleaned a couple of Lps; but they came out 100% dry and clean and sound wonderful. maybe a touch more pristine sounding than the Audio Desk, but it's too soon to draw any conclusions. there are fewer moving parts than the Audio Desk since it does not need to spin the brushes, but it still spins the Lp. it's built really well, and my understanding is that it's stainless steel inside for durability.

it's relatively quiet but it does emit a raspy sort of noise (like 'pink' noise) during the ultrasonic cycle.....so you might not want it in the same room as you are listening in. in my situation it's with the other RCM's right outside my room, and I don't hear it in my room with the door closed and the music playing, but I did hear the 'beep' when it was done.

works for me!:D

i'm into easy. this is easy.

here it is next to the current best RCM's on the market....the Audio Desk and the Loricraft PRC4 Delux. we will see how it does.

View attachment 10719View attachment 10720View attachment 10721

Keep us posted on your comparo with the audio deske as time goes by. Thanks

I wouldn't touch the Audio Desk with a 10' German pole. All I keep reading are horror stories about how many things on this machine can possibly breakdown that will send it back to Germany. The U.S. importer has had to come up with a loaner program so they can send you a unit to use while yours is in Germany being repaired. I have told the story several times of my attempt last year to watch the Audio Desk in action at RMAF 2012. I gave the guy one of my prized LPs to clean and it came out wet and he had to wave it around in the air like a magician trying to conjure up a rabbit out of his hat in order to dry it. I have a simple VPI 16.5 RCM and it works like a champ. Yes, it sounds like a 747 during takeoff when it is drying an LP, but it works. I have never taken off a wet LP from my RCM.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu