Record Cleaning Machines

It's failure to remove oily grime, pressing solvent residue, does in no way make it a bad machine. It is the perfect finishing rinse and dry. It leaves zero static unlike vacuum style machines. Once a record is scrubbed and finished in the audio desk, the audio desk is perfect for future routine maintenance cleaning. No machine can get by the necessity to hand scrub it first whether it is a new or used record.

I disagree with that statement. I don't hand scrub any new LPs.

I disagree with that statement. I don't hand scrub any new LPs.

Perhaps you don't have many RTI pressings from Classic Records ? I had to redo over 200 records because it failed to remove the oily pressing grime I was blessed with. I now hand scrub every record I get with enzymatic solution and finish in the audio desk whether it's new or not. No machine has the elbow grease I can apply with a disk doctor brush.

Perhaps you don't have many RTI pressings from Classic Records ? I had to redo over 200 records because it failed to remove the oily pressing grime I was blessed with. I now hand scrub every record I get with enzymatic solution and finish in the audio desk whether it's new or not. No machine has the elbow grease I can apply with a disk doctor brush.

Christian-I have never counted them, but I certainly have some including test pressings. I don't think I have 200 RTI pressings, but the ones I have sound great after a cleaning on my VPI 16.5. Unlike some others, I do clean every LP before I play it.

Clearly I have, I own an audio desk. It's good for removing dust and static. I have had to redo records via hand scrub to remove pressing grime and oily deposits.

Then something's wrong. Maybe your ultrasound isn't working? I buy used records, and some of them will have grime, fingerprints, etc. on them - my AudioDesk even removes the plastic residue from the innersleeves with the soft plastic that among others DG liked using for a while, and that sometimes sticks to records.

Then something's wrong. Maybe your ultrasound isn't working? I buy used records, and some of them will have grime, fingerprints, etc. on them - my AudioDesk even removes the plastic residue from the innersleeves with the soft plastic that among others DG liked using for a while, and that sometimes sticks to records.

Nothing wrong with the machine. In fact the machine failed after 1000 Records, was sent back to Germany and repaired. It still doesn't remove the oily grime I am talking about, notably the stuff on Classic Records RTI pressed records of which I have acquired well over 500 of them over the past two years...Classical and Jazz. The ultra sonic action still works as I can see the ever changing colored light in the tank. For me, when I get a record whether new or not, it gets hand scrubbed before being finished in the audio desk.

Nothing wrong with the machine. In fact the machine failed after 1000 Records, was sent back to Germany and repaired. It still doesn't remove the oily grime I am talking about, notably the stuff on Classic Records RTI pressed records of which I have acquired well over 500 of them over the past two years...Classical and Jazz. The ultra sonic action still works as I can see the ever changing colored light in the tank. For me, when I get a record whether new or not, it gets hand scrubbed before being finished in the audio desk.

I find it rather sad for a RCM that cost over $3K. Soundproof doesn't agree with you which means his machine works better or someone is terribly wrong. Based on the fact that the Wundubar machine can't dry records properly either (at least all the time or consistently), maybe Christian is right or Soundproof has the one machine that really works correctly.

I find it rather sad for a RCM that cost over $3K. Soundproof doesn't agree with you which means his machine works better or someone is terribly wrong. Based on the fact that the Wundubar machine can't dry records properly either (at least all the time or consistently), maybe Christian is right or Soundproof has the one machine that really works correctly.

My issue has been with classic Records...perhaps he doesn't have many ? Of the 500 classic records from RTI at least 200 are test pressings. I'm not sad and I'm only sharing my experiences. Have I seen the stuff on ORG ? Not much if ever. My machine is functioning as it should...the same way when it was brand new and after repair.

Sounds like one more strike against this RCM.

Not so fast. It does remove all sort of (visible) oily patches. Sometimes I need to do 2 "long" cycles (6 beeps), but the records come out as good as new. I'm telling you, I've never seen anything this impressive.

I just used it on a brand new LP (The dB's "Falling off the sky"). It had that oily residue that some new vinyl has. One 5-beep pass on the Audio Desk, and it's gorgeous. It's blacker than it was, after all the surface crud is gone.

alexandre

I work for Klaudio so I'll try to answer some of these questions without sounding too spammy. Officially, our name is "Klaudio", like the name "Claudio" (with a K). KL certainly works as an abbreviation, but our company isn't "K.L. Audio".

As Mike mentioned, our system is designed to be as unattended as possible. While drying is performed immediately after the washing cycle, you can safely pull the record out at any time. If you want to dry on a rack, just yank the record when you hear the blower turn on. You can also adjust the front settings during the cleaning cycle. If you decide half-way through washing you want to increase the wash time, you can turn the knob and it will adjust based on the current LED progress bar percentage.

We use four 50W, 40kHz ultrasonic transducers (two perpendicular to both sides of the disc), which will remove caked-in grime and dust that has settled into the grooves and against the vinyl. Since we don't use physical contact like scrubbers and wipers, our system will not generally make the disc appearance glossy afterward. Fingerprints, for example, might be more effectively handled with a microfiber cloth or a gentle technique after a "deep-cleaning" using our product. What should be immediately obvious after a listening comparison, is that we've removed debris from the grooves which was directly affecting needle contact (greatly improving S/N).

Tim
Klaudio

I work for Klaudio so I'll try to answer some of these questions without sounding too spammy. Officially, our name is "Klaudio", like the name "Claudio" (with a K). KL certainly works as an abbreviation, but our company isn't "K.L. Audio".

As Mike mentioned, our system is designed to be as unattended as possible. While drying is performed immediately after the washing cycle, you can safely pull the record out at any time. If you want to dry on a rack, just yank the record when you hear the blower turn on. You can also adjust the front settings during the cleaning cycle. If you decide half-way through washing you want to increase the wash time, you can turn the knob and it will adjust based on the current LED progress bar percentage.

We use four 50W, 40kHz ultrasonic transducers (two perpendicular to both sides of the disc), which will remove caked-in grime and dust that has settled into the grooves and against the vinyl. Since we don't use physical contact like scrubbers and wipers, our system will not generally make the disc appearance glossy afterward. Fingerprints, for example, might be more effectively handled with a microfiber cloth or a gentle technique after a "deep-cleaning" using our product. What should be immediately obvious after a listening comparison, is that we've removed debris from the grooves which was directly affecting needle contact (greatly improving S/N).

Tim
Klaudio

Looks like a great machine. Even more importantly, it's looks like the build quality of a tank. I see myself getting one in the not too distant future.

I was afraid of sharing links too soon on the forum. The only owner I'm aware of who has posted comments has been Mike: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?41-Record-Cleaning-Machines/page20#195 . We have some 3rd-party reviews pending, and I hope we can get other owners to start sharing their opinions.

Below are photos from our website. Let me know if you'd like to see something else and I'll see if I can get it.

kd-cln-lp200_p1-700x700.jpg

kd-cln-lp200_p2-700x700.jpg

kd-cln-lp200_p3-700x700.jpg

kd-cln-lp200_p6-700x700.jpg

kd-cln-lp200_p4-700x700.jpg

kd-cln-lp200_p5-700x700.jpg

Tim

Looks like a great machine. Even more importantly, it's looks like the build quality of a tank. I see myself getting one in the not too distant future.

Thanks! This extends to the internal components as well. The wash basin's priming pump is a Koolance PMP-300. We also placed an auxiliary power plug on the back for some secret future products. ;)

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks! This extends to the internal components as well. The wash basin's priming pump is a Koolance PMP-300. We also placed an auxiliary power plug on the back for some secret future products. ;)

Tim

My dealer in Chicago told me he submitted the paper work to become a dealer. He'll be ordering one for me as soon as he's set up.

The ultrasonic machine is sexy, no question. I'm a late adopter for pretty much everything, running a 16.5 for almost 20 years, so my attitude is wait and see.

Any updates from users?

Bruce

I wouldn't touch the Audio Desk with a 10' German pole. All I keep reading are horror stories about how many things on this machine can possibly breakdown that will send it back to Germany. The U.S. importer has had to come up with a loaner program so they can send you a unit to use while yours is in Germany being repaired. I have told the story several times of my attempt last year to watch the Audio Desk in action at RMAF 2012. I gave the guy one of my prized LPs to clean and it came out wet and he had to wave it around in the air like a magician trying to conjure up a rabbit out of his hat in order to dry it. I have a simple VPI 16.5 RCM and it works like a champ. Yes, it sounds like a 747 during takeoff when it is drying an LP, but it works. I have never taken off a wet LP from my RCM.

Downside of the VPI, having owned both it and the 17F, is it just doesnt get records any where near as quiet/clean as the Audio Desk. I couldnt go back, and I am one of the guys with the breakdowns. The KLaudio may be in my future.

Hi all,

New to this forum but active in a few others. As I'm local (Puget Sound WA) I made an appointment with Tim at Klaudio and stopped by the other day. I brought three records and cleaned all three with the Klaudio machine then went home to listen. I must say Tim and everyone at Klaudio were just great hosts and made me feel very welcome and answered all my questions. Because of work I have only been albe to listen to few songs on each record but my initial impression is the Klaudio cleaner gets very deep in the groove. I heard an almost startling increase in bass on my Pink Floyd "The Wall" reissue album. High freq's were increased also. The album (a fair pressing at best) still had some static but I never properly pre-cleaned it so I'm guessing some albums will still need full on pre-cleaned. I'll give more input once I can do some serious listening.

Ok, I just joined the 21st century. My VPI will be buried in the backyard with honors. I'm cleaning (correction, it's cleaning, I'm listening). It isn't just convenience. The stuff I've been listening to so far sounds tape-like; that gray aura of vinyl-ness isn't as apparent. I'm not talking about the elimination of clicks or pops or surface noise. You can clean the hell out of a record using the fluids and brushes, and it still 'sounds' like a record. But, the music on the records sounds more 'there' as a result of the ultrasonic cleaning as if the medium is 'less in the way.'
Now if they could only perfect supersonic flight- imagine, NY to Paris in 3 hrs, 23 minutes.

Ok, I just joined the 21st century. My VPI will be buried in the backyard with honors. I'm cleaning (correction, it's cleaning, I'm listening). It isn't just convenience. The stuff I've been listening to so far sounds tape-like; that gray aura of vinyl-ness isn't as apparent. I'm not talking about the elimination of clicks or pops or surface noise. You can clean the hell out of a record using the fluids and brushes, and it still 'sounds' like a record. But, the music on the records sounds more 'there' as a result of the ultrasonic cleaning as if the medium is 'less in the way.'
Now if they could only perfect supersonic flight- imagine, NY to Paris in 3 hrs, 23 minutes.

i missed the annoucement, which RCM are you using now??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing