RICHARD JEWELL - Official Trailer [HD]

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

we saw this film today and I have to admit I was surprised. Another brilliant film by Clint Eastwood who at ager 89 is like the Duracell bunny as he keeps on ticking. I'm sure we all remember the events of July 1996 in Atlanta Centennial Park during the Olympics and how security guard Richard Jewell goes from hero to scapegoat and how his life was destroyed by the very thing he respected the most, the law and helping people

The role of Richard Jewell is played by Paul Walter Hauser who I remembered as one of the goons in I, Tonya. He was nothing short of spectacular in this role. Kathy Bates plays his mother and Sam Rockwell his lawyer along with Jon Hamm as the FBI agent who pressed the case against Jewell and Olivia Wilde playing the reporter who launched the story in the press only to realize in her due diligence that Jewell was innocent

This movie flowed well and for me I didn't look at my watch at all throughout and this seems to be the barometer we all use here.

It scores 92% on Rotten Tomatoes and 70% on mrqe.com

Run time 2 hour 20 min

Definite thumb's up

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Eastwood 89, amazing!
Richard Jewell is flying mainly under the radar, so it's nice to read the few commentaries from a connoisseur, without looking @ his watch. :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Looking forward to this. It’s crazy the best stuff from Eastwood has been at an age many of us won’t see.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I didn't recall the event, I was probably working in a forest somewhere, setting camp there and no TV.

Anyway I spent some time reading the true events from back then and an article on an actress playing a journalist and her honest take, also on Warner Bros and the media, few news outlets, the quick judgement, the FBI, the destruction of a good man's reputation, the real bomber, etc., etc., etc.

It is extremely sad when people of influence (journalists, FBI, news media, ...) jump to the wrong judgement too quick and in the process implement hatred towards good people. It not only destroyx the person's good reputation but also destroys all the people around him, their perception, their false judgement with the very wrong conclusions.

Journalists have an immense responsibility to report the truth, the facts, and only that.
If they fail to do that they screw up an entire society, an entire culture, the soul of humanity.

Now I understand 100% what Clint Eastwood message is. It's an important film, it's a factual film, it's a social affair film, it's a responsible film, it's a journalist film. It's the real entire life of a real good people the media can destoy in a flash (they did) from publishing false information without proof. The public court system is unforgivable, today even more thsn yesterday where every little minor misconception is amplified as a high crime punishable of life's good reputation. It kills a person inside psychologically, forever.

This is not the only true story of that scope, there are thousands and thousands more where people were falsely portrayed by greedy and unethical and diabolical people of the media.

The guy is a true hero. He died @ only 44, due to heart complications.
I think the media didn't help his heart failure ... the FBI with false information.

Of course I will watch this film eventually, plus Clint Eastwood directed and the cast is first class.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The sad thing that worried me leaving the theater is that Richard Jewell died at age 44 from heart failure BUT I worry about the same fate for Paul Walter Hauser who was morbidly obese in the film and is only age 33. IMO he nailed the role of Jewell but I hope he doesn't die as a result. In I, Tonya he was very obese as well

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"He was suffering from serious medical problems that were related to diabetes."

Yes he was obese, Richard Jewell.

* The film is making people talking a lot since it just opened yesterday.
But anyone can read it in all the major newspapers across the country.
The subject is certainly "prime", and this is not a Marvel film based on comic books, but on a true story.

Steve, from your knowledge about the events of 1996 (readings) and after seeing the film, do you think Clint Eastwood is fairly portraying this chapter of our media history?

One free article from FEBRUARY 1997 by MARIE BRENNER stood up among the rest.
It's not short, so it's for people with an interest, people like I.
? https://archive.vanityfair.com/article/share/1fd2d7ae-10d8-474b-9bf1-d1558af697be

** As for the Oscars, Richard Jewell is hardly mentioned in any nominations from any Film organizations...like it's almost totally under the radar.
I've heard of it before but before you saw the film and started this thread I never investigated my time. Since yesterday I sure did.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing