Rock and Drum videos thread

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Jammin'

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I can't believe no one has posted this one yet...

My favorite room from videos I have heard. Does your room work with non horn speakers?

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
My favorite room from videos I have heard. Does your room work with non horn speakers?

Hi Tang,

Thank you (as always) for the kind words...

When my wife and I bought our current home in 2013, I started Building the studio listening room that you see/hear in the videos. The studio is separate from the main house. I’ve Only owned the Avantgarde Duo’s since we’ve been here so no compares with conventional box speakers. The room is purpose built though, so I’m pretty sure most any type of speaker within reason would work. I hired an acoustical engineer to help with the design. We focused a lot of attention on diffusion rather than absorption. It sounds really nice when I record live music too.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Though neither is very well-engineered, both belong here.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
How loud do you guys record at?

Everything I try to capture ends up being really quiet.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
How loud do you guys record at?

Everything I try to capture ends up being really quiet.

Good question. I was wondering that too.... most of what I am recording is at my normal listening levels. I just go with what sounds good to my ears for that particular cut. Some of the rock drum tracks I was listening to were turned up pretty loud on this end.... I mean, it’s rock and roll after all!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There are a lot of audio sins. Recording Jim Keltner's famous drum track on an iphone and then posting it on YouTube is at least 3 of them! Complete sacrilege!

Sounds weird to me

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

I could mention this was my son's CD 9 years ago when he was 11, but why? It's my CD now. :)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I thought it would be fun to do a You Tube video of a You Tube video.

I played it back through the Apogees before I uploaded it and it wasn't too bad. A bit muffled via the camera mic and no doubt the YT compression makes it worse still. But it should sound alright through a decent system.

In the flesh it is good but YT is a comprised source.

Recorded on a OnePlus 6 mobile phone. It's mono.

Ked I didn't use the Rowland. I nicked it's memory stick a while back and had forgotten where it was.

I did a Led Zep too. Will post later.

Awesome ! Keltner rules !:eek::eek::eek:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hi Tang,

Thank you (as always) for the kind words...

When my wife and I bought our current home in 2013, I started Building the studio listening room that you see/hear in the videos. The studio is separate from the main house. I’ve Only owned the Avantgarde Duo’s since we’ve been here so no compares with conventional box speakers. The room is purpose built though, so I’m pretty sure most any type of speaker within reason would work. I hired an acoustical engineer to help with the design. We focused a lot of attention on diffusion rather than absorption. It sounds really nice when I record live music too.
What is the size of your listening room ?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yeah it's a great video. Have watched it quite a few times.
I have come to respect Keltner immensely many of my favorite albums by a variety of artists have by closer inspection had Jim Keltner on drums :) Only a few albums have had that special superior sound without Keltner, and they had 2 drummers. The Blade brothers are not bad either ;)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Lombardo is awesome. One of the few unique drummers in metal, one of those you immediately know it's him from the first drum break.

His drumming (and drum sound) on Slayer's "Seasons in abyss" is just amazing.

Reactions: KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: asiufy

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing