?? Why do you say that?

edit: and is yr comment about Musica Nuda or just the one song?

That song, the LP, also fields of gold, Diana krall etc. these things sound good or not for that LP only and does not indicate if system is natural or unnatural, or how it would translate to a broader set of LPs. That this particular one sounds digital doesn’t help

Last edited:
So for you not good ?
a little info ?
This is for all of us ok

That does not sound like a good apogee speaker. There are many bad apogee speakers

That song, the LP, also fields of gold, Diana krall etc. these things sound good or not for that LP only and does not indicate if system is natural or unnatural, or how it would translate to a broader set of LPs. That this particular one sounds digital doesn’t help

I agree about the lounge or fru-fru music. Musica Nuda is acoustical - a soprano and a double bass. I think it is viable for evaluation for what it is. I would not look to it inform me about a broader set of LPs, but rather would listen to other LPs. I would not judge it based on the recent videos posted here. While there may be a digital element in recent (40 yrs) LP production, their reproduction is analog -- yes, it is a factor and some sound moreso than others -- but I am reluctant to totally rule out using all such in evaluation.

As I noted earlier, on this album 'Guarda che Luna' is a better performance for evaluation than the two Beatles songs.

Reactions: cjfrbw
I agree about the lounge or fru-fru music. Musica Nuda is acoustical - a soprano and a double bass. I think it is viable for evaluation for what it is. I would not look to it inform me about a broader set of LPs, but rather would listen to other LPs. I would not judge it based on the recent videos posted here. While there may be a digital element in recent (40 yrs) LP production, their reproduction is analog -- yes, it is a factor and some sound moreso than others -- but I am reluctant to totally rule out using all such in evaluation.

You can't listen to all LPs for evaluation. However, playing a small set should make it extendible to a larger set. If you play 3 or violin LPs, and you conclude it sounds real, the next few violin ones should back your conclusion. If you play 3 piano videos and they sound broken in the crossover and poor timbre, the next few piano LPs should back that conclusion.. Then you know you are playing a representative set in the first 3

Maybe if this was played as a set of female vocal videos, someone might be able to draw a conclusion, but this on its own tells me nothing about the system.

Many better ways to judge on female vocals

Not just vintage, but also modern

More here https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ly-coupled-audio-recordings.28325/post-882506

You can't listen to all LPs for evaluation.

Of course not, and not all LPs are suitable for evaluation. On the record at hand I get more information from the double bass and the relatively unique combination of instruments. I don't listen to as many solo female vocals as you do though I do like choral. I don't think of Musica Nuda as music to evaluate female vocals. Your examples are nice.

I'll toss my hat in the vid circus courtesy of Spotify. Mini Gan 5 class D (hot weather cool amp)on the 75 inch ribbons. Galaxy 8 phone recording. Going to You Tube offers a high definition option from the cog wheel at the bottom. Second is the cut recommended by Tima:

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab
I'll toss my hat in the vid circus courtesy of Spotify.
Nice for Spotify. The clowns are in the audience watching the vid circus, playing trapeze with words to try and describe their systems.

I like it through my headphones. Sounds a little 'vintage' from the record.

Everybody is 'trained' by their own systems, thus, anything that is at variance will require some getting used to in terms of balance, projection etc.
Agreed.

1) If you hear any differences, how do you describe the differences you hear?

2) Which do you prefer?

3) Why do you prefer it?

Tougher one. A was the 'richest' sounding at perhaps a bit of loss of absolute clarity. However, it might sound the nicest in life due to fullness and imaging. B was the clearest and had the best overall balance, but maybe not imaged as large. C maybe the most 'forward' sounding, not bad, good clarity, but within the limitations of the headphone experience I would prefer slightly the other two.
None of them sounded 'bad', they were all pretty good overall, so neither of the three was a clear dud.

That's my lead eared opinion and I'm not sticking with it.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
  • Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

Onken Altecs are usually not good, and this one is with a CD. But with the 2a3 amp, sounds emotional

1) If you hear any differences, how do you describe the differences you hear?

2) Which do you prefer?

3) Why do you prefer it?

Pass. Can hardly hear a difference except some weird resonance in 1. Not sure if that is due to system coloration, but differences should be clearly audible to discuss preferences, not minor this or that. Same goes in person.

Onken Altecs are usually not good, and this one is with a CD. But with the 2a3 amp, sounds emotional

In person? Listening to the video it is hard for me to get into the music. Sounds like something played out of a miniature plastic Bluetooth speaker :)

Sound does not have to be perfect to enjoy music, but here the seductive aspect of the track is completely lost.

I don't know how the system sounds in person, these are just comments on the end result of the video.

Last edited:
Concerning Ron's videos, I agree that the differences are subtle. I only listened to the very beginning of each track and it sounds like the same system...

To be perfectly honest, my overall impression is that the sound lacks the "airiness" of the original track (as heard on Qobuz).

It's at the opposite spectrum of that Onken Altec video.

I don't know how it sounds in your room, and often recordings capture the room differently than how we experience it live.

How does it sound to you?

Reactions: bonzo75
How does it sound to you?
If it sounds similar on video it will along similar in room. I think Ron might be losing track of when he has changed speaker cables from Gryphon to Clarisys.

Reactions: morricab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing