I was thinking the exact same thing. The non functioning speaker has to be absorbing so much energy as well as singing along. That would account for all the blur.
Those woofer towers could really be affecting the sound, I think.

Take a look at my rooms full of inactive speakers and I get nice clean sound. I wouldn’t blame those towers for the blurred and muddy sound heard on the recordings.

Right next, behind a ribbon dipole?
They didn’t really sound any better when he had them along the side wall all by themselves and away from the towers.

Last edited:
Post 1402 - there is a technical issue here where some WBF posts don't link properly as below and show as loading.

quite a contrast...

Reactions: bonzo75
quite a contrast...

Yep the Gryphon system has better attack and midbass integration and dynamic range and more contrasts and energy - the Jadis Clarisys seems limpid and homogenised. Think Jadis is underdriving. could be because of the mix of electronics with Jadis, the VTL flows more because or VTL pre power pairing.

Last edited:
Take a look at my rooms full of inactive speakers and I get nice clean sound. I wouldn’t blame those towers for the blurred and muddy sound heard on the recordings.
You cant say they have no influence. Do you have any idea how much or how little it might be.

Yep the Gryphon system has better attack and midbass integration

Generally the original Gryphon system complaints by people who have never heard the system in my room were tilted-up treble balance, thin, lacking body and poor mid-bass integration.

Now for the people who still have never heard the system in my room tilted-up treble balance, thin, lacking body has become "better attack," and poor midbass integration has become "better . . . midbass integration.":rolleyes:

To me this is additional evidence of the foolishness and futility of using digital video recordings of analog playback systems to attempt to understand actual in-the-room sound.

Generally the original Gryphon system complaints by people who have never heard the system in my room were tilted-up treble balance, thin, lacking body and poor mid-bass integration.

Now for the people who still have never heard the system in my room tilted-up treble balance, thin, lacking body has become "better attack," and poor midbass integration has become "better . . . midbass integration.":rolleyes:

To me this is additional evidence of the foolishness and futility of using digital video recordings of analog playback systems to attempt to understand actual in-the-room sound.
Well, you keep posting the videos...

This is quite intellectually dishonest on your part.

1. I never said Gryphon was good at midbass integration - I said it was better than the your Jadis Clarisys on that, and less thin than your Jadis Clarisys. I did not find either good, my comments are only in comparison to each other.

2. Your Gryphon video is with VTL. Not with Jadis. I would like to know how many of those who said your Gryphon had tilted up treble balance, thin, lacking body etc said so in relation to your Jadis Clarisys listening to the Beethoven Emperor with the VTL (I do not care about comments listening to Eva Cassidy)

Reactions: PeterA

That's why I say video are a good way to stand back and get a outside perspective of what your personal system is doing.
And to get a general idea what someone elses is doing. But its broad based. That is why I asked your thoughts on what we say we hear on the video to what you hear in the room.

Well, you keep posting the videos...
"Fields of Gold": I was curious if people could hear differences, and to what they would speculatively attribute those differences.

Beethoven "Emperor": Posted solely because Kedar requested the video.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu