Hi Ron,

Is this device gonna make your home network more stable, or what is your idea of this? I’m asking due to my lack of knowledge?

/ Jk
I don't think it has anything to do with the stability of the home network. I think it's just supposed to decontaminate the Internet signal reaching the streamer.

Two of my friends in our Orange County Audio Posse use and like the EtherRegen.

I had a long telephone conversation yesterday with Alex Crespi. It was interesting to hear the full history of Hovland as well as the history of Uptone.

Alex feels that adding a linear power supply to the EtherRegen is a low yield investment.

I don't think it has anything to do with the stability of the home network. I think it's just supposed to decontaminate the Internet signal reaching the streamer.

Two of my friends in our Orange County Audio Posse use and like the EtherRegen.

I had a long telephone conversation yesterday with Alex Crespi. It was interesting to hear the full history of Hovland as well as the history of Uptone.

Alex feels that adding a linear power supply to the EtherRegen is a low yield investment.
Okay, thank you for enlighten me on this. Sounds interesting really. Maybe a good idea to do a similar thing here. Just been in to the Uptone homepage and read about the EtherRegen… very cool indeed.

/ Jk

Reactions: Superdad
My new room doesn't even have an ethernet cable.

I bought Eero mesh routers for the rest. Now I need to figure out how to use them. I have to access my main router and bridge it or something.

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
I bought Eero mesh routers for the rest. Now I need to figure out how to use them. I have to access my main router and bridge it or something.
I wish you all the best.. ;) !! I don’t like all this digital stuff… think it’s a PITA..!!! But what can you do… just grab the bull by the horns and dig in to it..!!

Last edited:
I wish you all the best.. ;) !! I don’t like all this digital stuff… think it’s a PITA..!!! But what can you do… just grab the bull by the horns and dig in to it..!!
I hate computer/network stuff too. Not my thing. Give me a screw driver and an instruction manual I can use to wipe my dirty hands on.:)

Today I ordered from Alex Crespi, presently of Uptone Audio and formerly of Hovland, an EtherRegen.

I ordered one USB Regen when I had a system, I preferred without at that time as did many Lampi owners. That was so long ago.

Are you doing a Benjamin Button from pure analog to ethergen?

Last edited:
so this morning i did 3 hours of cleaning and listening to/sampling (new to me) classical Lp's........amazing discovery experience. learned about music and history. just the best. now it's time to give the RCM a rest.

so now it's an hour before i watch some Olympics on the TV, and so i went to Tidal and selected a 'fresh' playlist "My Mix 3" that was presented to me by Tidal based on my listening.....5 hours of cuts. seems like blues guitar, vocals and jazz. mostly great sounding cuts i've never heard. and it's really good music, and sounds wonderful.

personally i think this 'digital stuff' is crazy good. not sure i'll make it upstairs for the start of the game. :p

YMMV.

Last edited:
I ordered one when I had a system, I preferred without at that time as did many Lampi owners. That was so long ago.

Are you doing a Benjamin Button from pure analog to ethergen?
i recall a few years back i had a drawer full of network tweaks (a few were that type) and gave them away at a local club meeting. that stuff seemed to have short shelf lives of relevancy and were always changing. they did seem to help at the time. not turned my back on network performance, but not on the flavor of the week program.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCAudiophile
i recall a few years back i had a drawer full of network tweaks (a few were that type) and gave them away at a local club meeting. that stuff seemed to have short shelf lives of relevancy and were always changing. they did seem to help at the time. not turned my back on network performance, but not on the flavor of the week program.
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what this has to do with the EtherRegen. Apparently it has been a popular and respected item for at least five years, with positive reviews in The Absolute Sound (not that that is dispositive) and numerous other places.

From what I can read online and learn from my friends who have them I don't think this device falls into the category of disposable or flavor of the week. The fact that it's less than $700 makes it inexpensive for WBF, but inexpensive does not make it bad or ineffective.

My entire digital set-up is very modest by WBF standards. But it's sounding pretty darn good. I thought throwing just a few hundred dollars more in in the digital direction might be money well spent, as I think my digital set-up already is an interesting exercise in good value for money/high sound quality per dollar.

I recently added an ethernet cable from Cardas. Now I'm done on the digital side (unless the Taiko Olympus pushes a lot of lightly used Pacific 2s or Poseidons onto the used market).

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what this has to do with the EtherRegen. Apparently it has been a popular and respected item for at least five years, with positive reviews in The Absolute Sound (not that that is dispositive) and numerous other places.

From what I can read online and learn from my friends who have them I don't think this device falls into the category of disposable or flavor of the week. The fact that it's less than $700 makes it inexpensive for WBF, but inexpensive does not make it bad or ineffective.

My entire digital set-up is very modest by WBF standards. But it's sounding pretty darn good. I thought throwing a few hundred dollars more in that direction might be money well spent, as I think my digital set-up already is an interesting exercise in good value for money/high sound quality per dollar.
i owned at least 3 Uptone Audio products, the USB Regen, in the past. they all worked. there were different versions. but none rated long term use. my system evolved. YMMV.

your digital network optimization experience is very limited. i've had servers for over 14 years. was never a trend setter, always a follower in this area. so not claiming expertise, just experience.

Last edited:
i owned at least 3 EtherRegen products in the past. they all worked. but none rated long term use. YMMV.

your digital network optimization experience is very limited. i've had servers for over 14 years. was never a trend setter, always a follower in this area. so not claiming expertise, just experience.
@Ron Resnick

to be fair, my servers changed and my network changed multiple times, which marginalized these pieces, so no finger pointing from me, just lessons learned.

so this morning i did 3 hours of cleaning and listening to/sampling (new to me) classical Lp's........amazing discovery experience. learned about music and history. just the best. now it's time to give the RCM a rest.

so now it's an hour before i watch some Olympics on the TV, and so i went to Tidal and selected a 'fresh' playlist "My Mix 3" that was presented to me by Tidal based on my listening.....5 hours of cuts. seems like blues guitar, vocals and jazz. mostly great sounding cuts i've never heard. and it's really good music, and sounds wonderful.

personally i think this 'digital stuff' is crazy good. not sure i'll make it upstairs for the start of the game. :p

YMMV.
I’m watching the Olympics on TV too, gymnastics a while ago, now swimming…

Just an hour or so today in the audioroom ;)
Sipping on the Swedish sunny weather :D

I just enjoyed with Mike Powell (OCD HiFi Guy) and his lovely and delightful girlfriend, Jo, a fun four days at my house!

I learned from several discussions at audio shows, and especially from this week together, that, in addition to being very knowledgeable about and experienced with audio, Mike is an extremely nice and totally great guy! In person he is easy-going and just a joy to be around!

During Mike's visit he recorded a video tour of Audio Café:

Last edited:
I just enjoyed with Mike Powell (OCD HiFi Guy) and his lovely and delightful girlfriend, Jo, a fun four days at my house!

I learned from several discussions at audio shows, and especially from this week together, that Mike is an extremely nice and totally great guy! In person he is easy-going and just a joy to be around!

During his visit Mike recorded a video tour of Audio Café:

Videos of the 833c, please

i owned at least 3 EtherRegen products in the past. they all worked. but none rated long term use.

Hi Mike:
Are you specifically referring to our UpTone Audio EtherREGEN?
I ask because:
a) Since the 2015 introduction of our USB REGEN (the pioneering first device to use a USB hub chip, good clock, and fine regulators), the name “REGEN” has become a bit like “Kleenex” is for tissues.

b) I’m puzzled as to your saying you “owned at least 3 EtherREGEN products…” Why would you have three of the same model? (It has not changed and is still the ONLY network switch in the world that puts Ethernet signals through active-differential digital isolators and differential ultra-low-jitter reclocking flip-flops in a separate data and power domain.)

c) Our order records show that, of the 3,500 EtherREGENs sold since December 2019, we never shipped one to you. I do however see that you purchased 2 units of our original USB REGEN—in August and September of 2015, as well as our choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7.4 amp JS-2 linear power supply, also in September of 2015. But those are vastly different products than our highly advanced EtherREGEN. :cool:

By the way, I see from your signature link to your system that you do use the expensive Nordost QNET switch. I hope you enjoy that.
Someone finally sent me a photo of its PCB (I never understood why some audio manufacturers are afraid to show and explain the technical aspects of their products), but sadly, other than its novel round shape it is a completely conventional Ethernet switch design. Yet that seems to be the norm these days…

Here’s what goes into our baby. The board you see—parts and assembly—costs us over $300 each. But we still change just $680–in a case and with 2-year warranty and personal support.
Let me know if you’d like to try one sometime.
Cheers,
—Alex C.

1722582003801.jpeg

Last edited:

I learned from several discussions at audio shows, and especially from this week together, that, in addition to being very knowledgeable about and experienced with audio, Mike is an extremely nice and totally great guy! In person he is easy-going and just a joy to be around!

During Mike's visit he recorded a video tour of Audio Café:

What are those amps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing