Hi Mike:
Are you specifically referring to our UpTone Audio EtherREGEN?
I ask because:
a) Since the 2015 introduction of our USB REGEN (the pioneering first device to use a USB hub chip, good clock, and fine regulators), the name “REGEN” has become a bit like “Kleenex” is for tissues.

b) I’m puzzled as to your saying you “owned at least 3 EtherREGEN products…” Why would you have three of the same model? (It has not changed and is still the ONLY network switch in the world that puts Ethernet signals through active-differential digital isolators and differential ultra-low-jitter reclocking flip-flops in a separate data and power domain.)

c) Our order records show that, of the 3,500 EtherREGENs sold since December 2019, we never shipped one to you. I do however see that you purchased 2 units of our original USB REGEN—in August and September of 2015, as well as our choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7.4 amp JS-2 linear power supply, also in September of 2015. But those are vastly different products than our highly advanced EtherREGEN. :cool:

By the way, I see from your signature link to your system that you do use the expensive Nordost QNET switch. I hope you enjoy that.
Someone finally sent me a photo of its PCB (I never understood why some audio manufacturers are afraid to show and explain the technical aspects of their products), but sadly, other than its novel round shape it is a completely conventional Ethernet switch design. Yet that seems to be the norm these days…

Here’s what goes into our baby. The board you see—parts and assembly—costs us over $300 each. But we still change just $680–in a case and with 2-year warranty and personal support.
Let me know if you’d like to try one sometime.
Cheers,
—Alex C.

View attachment 134383
i had three of these;

my apologies to you for that error. it's been 6-7 years ago. will edit my post to reflect that difference. thank you for the kind offer to try your switch, i may take you up on it.

best regards,

Mike

Last edited:
To both Mike and Ron - My observations on the EtherREGEN were favorable when I first got it. Then I started to use, what I consider to be its best attribute, beyond its untouched performance. That being the 10 MHz clock input. After an AfterDark clock, I moved on to a Mutec REF 10 SE 120 Master clock. I was so impressed with what that combo did to my streaming rig, I decided to move up my physical digital game to an Esoteric P-02, using the same master clock for it.

Had it not been for the ER? I wouldn't be where I am at along my own personal audio journey.

The internal clock that resides in the ER is well regarded but when you are able to use that 10MHz clock input and go external? This ups the game and in a rather dramatic way. It's like the ER is a gateway drug. One that I am so happy I tried out. FWIW.

I am one of those folks who are anxiously but patiently awaiting the ERv2, which will hopefully be available later on this year.

Tom

Air Tight Opus 1 Reference cartridge is inbound to Audio Café!

Prior to ordering the cartridge I discussed with Air Tight's USA distributor, Axiss Audio -- now owned by Cliff Duffey, who is assisted by T.J. Goldsby who is Head of Sales and Marketing -- that the cartridge had to pass a gauntlet of analysis and measurement benchmarks by J.R. Boisclair of WAM Engineering as a condition of me keeping the cartridge. Air Tight and Axiss were up to the challenge! So I proceeded to order the cartridge.

The cartridge passed all of J.R.'s tests and was within J.R.'s ranges of acceptable tolerance in every parameter!

I have heard the Opus 1 in numerous systems at both dealer showrooms and at friends' houses. I have liked the sound of every system of which the Opus 1 was a part.

The Opus 1 will be installed on my Reed 5T.

Last edited:
Congratulations Ron on the opus. I had one in my system for a while and thought it was excellent. Will JR be coming back to do the installation?
Thank you!

Yes, I think J.R. will be coming back to do the installation.

During Mike's visit he recorded a video tour of Audio Café:
Very nice. Probably the best vid to date that I have seen of the room(s) and the firepower. Interesting the main listening area looks a bit smaller than I had envisaged, at least from his vid. OCD Mikey does a good tour.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing