• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
Don't tell him and Brad that.
For the record, I had a powerful hybrid amp on my Apogees back in the day. Did I try a SET on them? Sure. Did it stay? No but it sounded better than expected. I used my Sphinx Project 14 mkIII throughout the speakers stay with me. I later sold them to Florian (yes Clarysis Florian) who drove them with a small Pathos Classic integrated quite successfully. It was only 70 watts but was sufficient in a modest room size.

I recommended the tubes on the pendragon ribbon tower as bass was active.

Ron’s VTLs should have plenty of power for the Clarysis speakers…

Alsyvox, being significantly more sensitive, would work better with lower power tubes.

For the record, I had a powerful hybrid amp on my Apogees back in the day. Did I try a SET on them? Sure. Did it stay? No but it sounded better than expected. I used my Sphinx Project 14 mkIII throughout the speakers stay with me. I later sold them to Florian (yes Clarysis Florian) who drove them with a small Pathos Classic integrated quite successfully. It was only 70 watts but was sufficient in a modest room size.

I recommended the tubes on the pendragon ribbon tower as bass was active.

Ron’s VTLs should have plenty of power for the Clarysis speakers…

Alsyvox, being significantly more sensitive, would work better with lower power tubes.

I heard the predecessor to the Alsyvox panel at the New York audio show in 2012. I think it was called the Michelangelo. They were driving it with a 14 W SET and turntable. It sounded excellent in showroom conditions. The guy played two of my records and waited for me to come back the next day so he could play them again.

Sensitivity is just one part of the equation, ribbons and planers suffer greatly from field ( very lossy design ) saturation, when this happens it requires way more than twice the power increase to see an additional 3 db of SPL ..

Its the main reason they benefit from large current base amplifiers more so than toobs ..!

Pipe and Slippers playback not withstanding ..!

Sensitivity is just one part of the equation, ribbons and planers suffer greatly from field ( very lossy design ) saturation, when this happens it requires way more than twice the power increase to see an additional 3 db of SPL ..

Its the main reason they benefit from large current base amplifiers more so than toobs ..!

Pipe and Slippers playback not withstanding ..!

“Pipe and slippers playback” is a wonderful phrase. I remember well the gentleman enjoying his music over a drink in his paneled library with his lovely company in those Tannoy advertisements.

I go back and forth between my VFET amps and tubes (little Wavac, big Wavac or flea). I like them all, they all sound great on my ribbons, and they all have their personalities (sorry objectivists).

Westminster amps sounded good on Picolo I gather at about 100 watts per channel, though It would be interesting to hear them with amps of less power, say, a 20 watt SET thingie. I think the Picolos might have real world efficiency that could make it work, but that is speculation subject to proof of hearing.

Reactions: morricab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing