Hmmm. How do you do that? The cable is already made with the XLR. I must be missing something obvious!
Tim explained this but to expand.

Each end of an XLR connector has 3 pins. In a "normal" cable there would be three wires inside that are connected (typically soldered) to each of the three pins at each end. If the manufacturer doesn't want to use pin 3 then the cable would only have two wires on the inside that are connected to pins 1 and 2. When you plug this cable into your gear pin 3 would simply be "floating".

I should expand on my own explanation. A component manufactuer can also do this by simply not connectin one of the pins of the XLR inside the component.

Last edited:
Pin 1 : signal ground (zero volt)
Pin 2 : Signal + (X(t))
Pin 3 : Signal - (Invert X(t))

“Pin 3 is float” means the signal transfer is un-balance

Tim, is it right?

Tim explained this but to expand.

Each end of an XLR connector has 3 pins. In a "normal" cable there would be three wires inside that are connected (typically soldered) to each of the three pins at each end. If the manufacturer doesn't want to use pin 3 then the cable would only have two wires on the inside that are connected to pins 1 and 2. When you plug this cable into your gear pin 3 would simply be "floating".
Ah. So you need to search out for those XLR cables with floating pin 3. I guess if your system has all True Balanced in diff. mode components, then no need to worry about floating pin 3. It's only when using a psuedo balanced component connected to a true balanced component?

Pin 3 isn't hot or the ground so is it cold or inert? I appreciate your explanation. I was watching a recent interview with Michael Borreson and he said that XLR's "complicate" things. That is why he uses RCA input/outputs.... Max Townshend believed that RCA's deliver more "pure sound" than XLR's due to the XLR added circuitry. Jeff Rowland disagrees. Maybe because Max dealt in pseudo balanced designed gear....

Many true balanced components only offer balanced connections....Thank you.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu