Thank you very much, Golum!

LAMPIZATOR BALTIC 4 HAS ARRIVED!!!

The age of digital has dawned here!

View attachment 102608

View attachment 102609

View attachment 102610

Listening to music through a Lampizator Pacific at audioquattr’s several years ago was the first time I could listen to digital without fatigue, and just relax and enjoy the music. I have felt the same way every single time I have ever listened to any Lampizator DAC.

For whatever reasons, Lampizator just works for my ears.[ emphasis supplied]

The Baltic 4 sounds amazing! It is resolving and dynamic, yet also liquid and analog-like — all at the same time. I do not understand how Lucasz what he does!

Truly, I have trouble imagining how a GG3 or a Horizon could sound better than this!
To remove the harshness without loss of detail.

LAMPIZATOR BALTIC 4 HAS ARRIVED!!!

The age of digital has dawned here!

View attachment 102608

View attachment 102609

View attachment 102610

Listening to music through a Lampizator Pacific at audioquattr’s several years ago was the first time I could listen to digital without fatigue, and just relax and enjoy the music. I have felt the same way every single time I have ever listened to any Lampizator DAC.

For whatever reasons, Lampizator just works for my ears.

The Baltic 4 sounds amazing! It is resolving and dynamic, yet also liquid and analog-like — all at the same time. I do not understand how Lucasz what he does!

Truly, I have trouble imagining how a GG3 or a Horizon could sound better than this!
Congrats on the B4, Ron :cool:
Do yourself a favour and get rid of the blue tennisballs, asap ;)

Reactions: cjfrbw
Ha! I once had blue balls whiles playing rugby for New England under 24... against an All Blacks junior team. Man do they tackle & hit hard!!! I think I was concussed during that game, can't quite remember the year... 91 or 92.

Anyway, getting back to the latest DAC that Ron has landed. I reckon that if Ron likes the way it sounds then why change?
Has the DAC been used within its required burn-in time... perhaps a few 100hrs or so, these sort of things take time to settle in.

Tube rolling is great, without a doubt but I've found that tubes take a while to settle in. Before given the chance to settle in, people go tube rolling and all hell breaks loose. Just give it some time first, if you feel that something is lacking then change the tubes.

Just my 50cts worth to Ron.

Nice DAC btw, that deserves a big WOOF!
Cheers, RJ

Ha! I once had blue balls whiles playing rugby for New England under 24... against an All Blacks junior team. Man do they tackle & hit hard!!! I think I was concussed during that game, can't quite remember the year... 91 or 92.

Respect!

Reactions: Scott Naylor
Thank you, Christoph and RJ!

Reactions: christoph
Cheers Bonz.
We actually won that last game! It was a 3 game series. We lost the first two (badly...!!!) and won the third by chance, I guess! (junior AB's took the series out). So during the final we gave it all we had... including the concussions! Was it worth it? Hell yeah! During that time in our frolly youth... but it's definitely not good in the long term. The Wifey now knows why the slight retardness...
Cheers matey, RJ
Happy new year! btw.

Reactions: Bobvin and bonzo75
Anyway, getting back to the latest DAC that Ron has landed. I reckon that if Ron likes the way it sounds then why change?

I have always appreciated in concept the possible benefits of tube swapping, and I have planned for that effort as a low priority project for the future by purchasing vintage NOS tubes over the last several years. However, my recent witnessing of the very positive results of KeithR’s tube swapping efforts on his Jadis JA30 Mk IIs under the advisement of Phil Ressler (213cobra here on WBF) (i.e., a wholesale increase in transparency) has prompted me to make tube swapping a higher and an earlier priority.

Marty very generously donated to me his longtime favorite Telefunken tubes for the VTL TL-7.5 Series III pre-amp, and I am looking forward to trying those when the whole system is set up.

Jim Yager (JimFord here on WBF) has swapped tubes on his Baltic 3, and I am likely to employ Jim’s tube swap prescription.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
Yes, that's a fair point Ron, and certainly makes sense.
The only thing is that most of this tube rolling is not highly recommended by the designer of the gear itself. Initially, I used to tube roll anything that had tubes but after a while, found myself going full circle back to what the designer intended.

However, after talking with them at length and letting them know what type of "custom sound" I was after then of course they would recommend certain variants. Again, these variants have to be within certain parameters of plate voltage and gain, at least these were the two main criteria they tend to take seriously. The thing is, with certain types of NOS tubes as well as high priced rarities... sometimes those parameters can go out of whack! I've had my fingers burnt before.

Anyway, if the particular type of variety fits perfectly within those areas and works fine, towards a far better sonic quality and it's something you're looking for... then by all means go for it! As my good mate, Robbo says, "your ears, your system!"

I'm sure the designer's at Lampi have thought it out quite well... but if there's room for improvement and always a good percentage of achieving better results then why not!

Hope it goes well, and keep us posted.
Cheers, RJ

Reactions: Ron Resnick
IMO Unless you are intimately familiar with the sound of your present tubes you should not be in a hurry to swap them out. There is always the possibility you will prefer the stock setup. Stranger things have happened.
Once you are familiar with the stock sound you can then make some comparisons. OYOH you may just want to stockpile some alternatives.

1000oraclecd.jpg
Are they still in production?

View attachment 102639
Are they still in production?

Greg, what does this have to do with my new system thread?

Greg, what does this have to do with my new system thread?
First of all, I blame you and Gary. That I am now contemplating a full range non-headphone system. It probably will not happen. Nevertheless...
I was just thinking the Baltic deserves to be fed the best signal possible. No offense to Pioneer. I am just saying. Esoteric also makes some killer transports.

I am out of budget on the digital side of things, but thank you!

Reactions: Alrainbow
I am out of budget on the digital side of things, but thank you!
I was just responding to your thread; how good a cd transport has to be to be better than streaming. You know there being a consensus that cd is so much better. When it comes to audio, I love spending other people's money.

When it comes to audio, everybody loves spending everybody else’s money!

Exactly right Ron! You tell us what you're after and we'll all help you spend your money !

Glad to see you landed a real nice Lampi Dac. Those are as good as it gets! My limited time with the Lampi during my last trip at the Adelphi was an absolute marvel! Something I was seriously considering after Bonz and you recommended one, when looking out to upgrade the digital front few years ago. Ended up with Esoteric though but perhaps on another occasion the Lampi would be something to consider.

Looking forward to your Pendragon system fully set up and playing some tunes! Hopefully not too long...
Woofty woof'n!
RJ

I was just responding to your thread; how good a cd transport has to be to be better than streaming. You know there being a consensus that cd is so much better. (...)

The Taiko Extreme thread lists more than WBF 100 users. I think - just my feeling following it - that the large consensus there is not that "cd is so much better" .

The Taiko Extreme thread lists more than WBF 100 users. I think - just my feeling following it - that the large consensus there is not that "cd is so much better" .
That doesn’t mean anything since people who don’t like streaming will not be participating on such threads.

david

Reactions: dan31 and Folsom
Exactly right Ron! You tell us what you're after and we'll all help you spend your money !

Glad to see you landed a real nice Lampi Dac. Those are as good as it gets! My limited time with the Lampi during my last trip at the Adelphi was an absolute marvel! Something I was seriously considering after Bonz and you recommended one, when looking out to upgrade the digital front few years ago. Ended up with Esoteric though but perhaps on another occasion the Lampi would be something to consider.

Looking forward to your Pendragon system fully set up and playing some tunes! Hopefully not too long...
Woofty woof'n!
RJ

Thank you, RJ.

Just order an Amber 4 right now. Or even a used Amber 3. You will not regret it!

Right now I am waiting to learn when in February Rune Skov will be coming to Los Angeles.

I am also figuring out the step-by-step logistics of moving 630 pound crates down two narrow sets of staircases without shattering stand-off mounted glass handrails and destroying my house.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing