I am open to ceiling treatment. J.R. is not prescribing ceiling treatment, at least not as a first step.

I will be putting absorption panels on the front side wall sections up to the ceiling. Reverberation between these upper side wall sections are his biggest concern.

He also had me add carpet pieces on the wood part of the floor to dampen ceiling reflections.

View attachment 117461
I think ceiling treatment makes a lot of sense. You can get diffusers from QRS in the same color as the current ceiling paint that should be too visually intrusive.

J.R. has much more accurate acoustic analysis software than my basic real time analyzer.

Of course I was very curious to use my prior methodology to see the new frequency response.

BEFORE
IMG_0021.jpeg

AFTER
IMG_0070.png

For some reason the treble region depicted in these charts bears no relation to what anyone actually hears in the room. No one hears a roll-off starting at 2kHz. I am using a professional, extremely flat frequency response Earthworks QTC-4 microphone, so I don't think it could be explained by the microphone.

In the room we hear a flat (a little too flat for me, as I am fine to start rolling off subjectively in the treble region) frequency response.

Thank you. Almost is no cigar. I think it looks weird to have the woofer towers inside of the panels.
I believe there was a Pendragon setup in Malaysia or Singapore that had the same alignment as your new configuration.
That individual mentioned he tried both positions and definitely preferred woofers on the inside, panels on the outside.
If you experience some loss of center-fill, try angling the Ribbon Panels slightly toward your seated position.

Reactions: bonzo75
I believe there was a Pendragon setup in Malaysia or Singapore that had the same alignment as your new configuration.
That individual mentioned he tried both positions and definitely preferred woofers on the inside, panels on the outside.
Interesting! I have never seen Pendragons in this configuration before.

If you experience some loss of center-fill, try angling the Ribbon Panels slightly toward your seated position.

Yes, thank you.

Consistent, I believe, with Gary Koh's set-ups for his big Genesis, and consistent with my two decades of Martin-Logan practice, and against standard Pendragon practice, all towers have zero toe-in (parallel to the front wall). Any toe-in on the panels here seems to add brightness.

Last edited:
I've been listening all afternoon! I am loving the sound! J.R. rocks!

I played Reference Recordings Symphonie Fantastique peaking at SPL of 102dB. Subjectively the room boom is gone!

I really think that anybody buying a serious stereo system should program into the budget professional set-up by J.R.!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77 and gleeds
Reactions: Pokey77
J.R. has much more accurate acoustic analysis software than my basic real time analyzer.

Of course I was very curious to use my prior methodology to see the new frequency response.

BEFORE
View attachment 117473

AFTER
View attachment 117471

For some reason the treble region depicted in these charts bears no relation to what anyone actually hears in the room. No one hears a roll-off starting at 2kHz. I am using a professional, extremely flat frequency response Earthworks QTC-4 microphone, so I don't think it could be explained by the microphone.

In the room we hear a flat (a little too flat for me, as I am fine to start rolling off subjectively in the treble region) frequency response.
Because ears arent microphones. Fletcher Munson and all that. The big difference is in the crossover region, despite a rougher response.

Reactions: Al M.
Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.
Ron, I would like to offer that aesthetically the set-up now looks to my eye considerably more pleasing. I love the way the Jadis are neatly tucked in behind the mighty Pendragons. Your dedication to the system build and set-up is admirable and the room a lovely sanctuary from which to enjoy music. Congratulations on the progress with JR's assistance! I am looking forward to my next visit.

View attachment 117470The ribbon on the Pendragon is an upgraded animal from the previous BG 75 incher. This is the sensitivity spec for the Pendragon with the passive crossover element. I presume stronger magnets, better high frequency dispersion, and higher sensitivity. Pendragon does augment with the additional tweeter element, so that bat audiophiles are not comprimised.

Yes so at 89db that's 1w 1m, not 2m. 18khz is right in line with all BG's, and the 250hz is not the natural roll off. They clearly are not different in function, as they're all alike across the board with all the iterations - and this was stated by someone who used all of them for products. The pro version however has higher quality parts that cost substantially more.

Interesting that you only see the tip of icebergs and seem to ignore that a couple of dBs error in these matters are enough to make these simulations an useless and misleading loss of time, particularly as we also have other sources of error.

Bohlender Graebener manufactured the RD75 as a general ribbon available to the DIY people and custom versions using at less four types of magnets and several types of films with different sensitivities - how do you know what was used in Ron speakers? Do you thing that Gary Koh and Flemming E. Rasmussen got their panels from Parts Express?

FIY I was with Rasmussen when he presented the Pendagron in my country in 2015 to commemorate Gryphon 30th anniversary. Although he was very rigorous and proud of the specifications and measurements of his electronics he was not interested at all in speaker measurements - it is probably why we never had an official sensitivity measurement in the Pendragon brochures or factory pages.

Now you move in obfuscation and insults, as you systematically do with any one that disagrees with you in WBF. We are used to it.

Correction, you're use to me being abrasive because you come out of no where with nonsense, but think you're being objective. You have a history of believing you interweave information correctly to prove points, but don't have the knowledge to verify it - while telling off people who actually do work on audio, do have knowledge etc.

The fact that you know the difference between the PE/DIY version and the pro should also mean you'd know they were all more of the same and like seen everywhere else meant to be drop in replacements (6ohm, 75 inch, etc etc). The parts were higher quality but they're the same design and parameters (which came from a Bob Carver design).

I've argued with Morricab about misunderstanding/statements from him before, but credit where it's due... he's not so inept he can't easily understand SIMPLE db levels. He does actually play and measure with the same formulated drivers. All while you're arguing if something is off by a db then it's a wildcard that no one can possibly know WTF is going. Would you think a the speedometer is pointless on a 4x4 vehicle if you put on larger tires?

You're accusing me of seeing the tip of the ice berg? I think you need serious help for logistical thinking. In your mind if something is off, it's the difference between say 128w or 256w, due to 3db, so it's wildly unpredictable to mere humans. But there's 6 compounding 3db moves prior to the difference between those two wattages (18db). What's more important, a factor of 6 compounds or 1 compound? Well consider it's a linear 3db each time, the weight of all the changes is still in the frequency of compounds, not the compounded totality. It's slightly more complicated because there is some drop in distance, but there's also compounding extra db from 6ohms... why get into it, you can't even handle the thought of 1db being off and trying to discern what's happening. Your no better than someone that wants to win a philosophical argument solely because you caught a grammatical error from your counter-arguer.

These drivers don't compress anywhere near sensible levels because they play above the range where they run out of steam. Even if you took 3db off of sensitivity for no good reason at all, you can still crack 100db on 100w, at the chair.

And you're incorrect to say the Pendragons never had a sensitivity measurement. I had a PDF saved that stated it, but that was when Ron first chose to get them. What's floating around the internet seems to lack it in basic searches, but there was one years ago. In fact in this reply I quoted someone who posted a rating.

I love the way the Jadis are neatly tucked in behind the mighty Pendragons.
That was unintentional. I had to orient the Jadis amplifiers that way only because the VTLs are taking up so much space behind the woofer towers.

Reactions: gleeds and Johan K
Eva Cassidy "Fields of Gold"

Last edited:
Thank you. Almost is no cigar. I think it looks weird to have the woofer towers inside of the panels.
It reminds me of some Maggie owners who would put the tweeters on the outside. Apogee owners always had the tweeter on the inside…

Reactions: Alrainbow
sounds more bottom up, more integrated and better than before.

i don’t like the song but I love that she is in fields of barley. Highest in fibre along with beans and chickpeas, more than bulgur or quinoa, and great texture. Apart from the fibre benefits, you can replace rice in Indian dishes or in Chinese fried rice or Thai mango rice pudding with barley and get better texture taste. Would like to try it in risotto if I get a good barley risotto recipe

Eva Cassidy "Fields of Gold"

True but the base towers go up to 250hz .. well above the fr where direction is percieved .. that is one reason moving base towers further away from side wall sounds better .. I did suggest this a million posts ago !

Once you move away from the plane of the baffle dipoles will be reflecting a lot of energy from walls and ceilings ... but if it after 10ms or so prob not so bad

Phil
Line source dispersion is cylindrical, this means virtually no ceiling or floor reflections. There is virtually no dispersion on the vertical axis…it’s why the SPL with distance drop is less with a line source than a point source, which disperses evenly in all axes.

View attachment 117470The ribbon on the Pendragon is an upgraded animal from the previous BG 75 incher. This is the sensitivity spec for the Pendragon with the passive crossover element. I presume stronger magnets, better high frequency dispersion, and higher sensitivity. Pendragon does augment with the additional tweeter element, so that bat audiophiles are not comprimised.
Makes the argument to go with better sounding lower powered amps even stronger!

BEFORE
View attachment 117473

AFTER
View attachment 117471

Previous setup measured better FWIW…

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing