Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks Ron, you had me at you will record your future system
Alll of us are hoping you might do the same with your future system ;)

Steve Williams

Congratulations Ron,this is exciting!
For the record I personally never met a dimmer that didn't make noise however I dont remember hearing any from Mike and Steves room so check with them.
I use a Lutron in my room. There is no audible noise that I have ever heard

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Like everything else, it’s complicated!

It’s great that you don’t have any noise that affects the stereo.

I have discovered that the different models of Lutron dimmers emit radically different levels of EMI. The Lutron Maestro RF dimmers that I have generate a huge amount of RFI — because they literally are RF transmitters.:eek:

The other thing I’ve been discovering is that despite enormous amounts of EMI all over the listening room it’s not clear that these EMI readings have an actual, audible, deleterious effect on the sound coming of our stereos. Everybody who has a PS Audio power generator loves it — despite the fact that the regenerator amplifier itself generates EMI.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The other thing I’ve been discovering is that despite enormous amounts of EMI all over the listening room it’s not clear that these EMI readings have an actual, audible, deleterious effect on the sound coming of our stereos. Everybody who has a PS Audio power generator loves it — despite the fact that the regenerator amplifier itself generates EMI.

Ron, Do not ignore or omit the possibility that others tried the PS Audio in their systems and decided to sell it or not buy it. We have read instances of people removing them and preferring the sound without.

Steve Williams

It's really not that complicated Ron. When I hired the electrician to do my room the prerequisite was simple. There was to be no audible extraneous noise in the system and room . I did the same with my HVAC man where I stipulated in the contract that it too must be completely noiseless. I included in the contract that neither would be paid if there was audible noise and not until the problem was resolved. That caught their attention

Reactions: PeterA

Steve Williams

Ron, Do not ignore or omit the possibility that others tried the PS Audio in their systems and decided to sell it or not buy it. We have read instances of people removing them and preferring the sound without.
I do not use any audio conditioners in my room

Reactions: PeterA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Where am I ignoring or omitting that possibility? I’m simply saying that people who love their PS Audio regenerators keep them. Someone who got one, decided he/she didn’t like it, and sold it, no longer has it.

It did not occur to me that you would assume that I would think that every single person who ever buys a PS Audio regenerator loves it and keeps it.

I personally have no plan to get an isolation transformer or a power regenerator or a power conditioner.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Where am I ignoring or omitting that possibility? I’m simply saying that people who love their PS Audio regenerators keep them. Someone who got one, decided he/she didn’t like it, and sold it, no longer has it.

It did not occur to me that you would assume that I would think that every single person who ever buys a PS Audio regenerator loves it and keeps it.

I personally have no plan to get an isolation transformer or a power regenerator or a power conditioner.

It’s the implication that struck me because of the way you phrased your comment. At a dinner party the other night, roughly half the people were drinking red wine with her dinner. Those who asked for red wine were drinking the red wine. ImI’m just saying that the other half of the people were drinking white wine or no wine at all. They did not ask for red wine because they preferred something else. In other words, without more information the comment doesn’t really indicate much. No big deal.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Like everything else, it’s complicated!

It’s great that you don’t have any noise that affects the stereo.

I have discovered that the different models of Lutron dimmers emit radically different levels of EMI. The Lutron Maestro RF dimmers that I have generate a huge amount of RFI — because they literally are RF transmitters.:eek:

I have the same Lutron Maestro dimmers. Even though my light are on their own circuit, I never noticed any RF/DC contamination in my system until my EE friend suggested he build me a DC Blocker for my complete front end.

He has never steered me wrong so I paid for the parts and he built it for my. It was an immediate difference in the clarity.
When I decided to DIY my power cords for my amps he built 2 more and we directly wired the cords into the blockers.
I didn't hear the same difference but the are cleaning out any stray DC from the house.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
he build me a DC Blocker for my complete front end.

A DC blocker? So it’s a high pass filter which suppresses DC?

(I am confused because typically EMI/RFI noise suppressors are low pass filters which block frequencies above the audible range.)

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Only because people like you find it interesting, and I am happy to cater to my audience.
I always wonder if I played a video of my system and recorded the sound from the Marantz receiver and Radio Shack speaker at my shop would anyone know the difference?

Personally, I don't pay much attention to the music in the videos. I like looking at the systems people have put together though.
There is a chance the speakers in my MacBook suck.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
A DC blocker? So it’s a high pass filter which suppresses DC?

(I am confused because typically EMI/RFI noise suppressors are low pass filters which block frequencies above the audible range.)
Yes, I can't explain it to you but I'll ask Phil if he can give me a basic description of how it works.
I may be all wrong already. :)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Yes, I can't explain it to you but I'll ask Phil if he can give me a basic description of how it works.
I may be all wrong already. :)
Yes Ron, I'm already wrong. You are correct in you description.

I spoke with Phil and he first recommended using 12volt LED can lights and corresponding dimmer as the RF is very low.

In leu of that and you already had line voltage cans installed use the dimmer of your choice and the lighting on a separate circuit and on the opposite leg of the power in your electrical panel.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My remote control installer person does not want to connect the ethernet cable upstream of the router and switch. He says that would be external to the network’s firewall. He would like everything behind the firewall.

So the ethernet jack for the streamer in the audio equipment room would come directly (or indirectly through a series of ethernet cables and connections) from the router in the garage.

Is there any particular brand and model of in-wall ethernet cable I should specify?

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Were it me I would probably use Belden 7A for my listening room. I'm sure there are others but, I know their cable is good quality and built properly.
There are so many unknown names, at least to me out there, with new ones all the time.

I think for the general part of the house I used Carol from HD.

I would ask you installer what they would use and why. I would also think about running a second as a spare. You never know what can happen. An extra couple hundred $ might be well spent once the walls are closed up.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Brad!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi Ron,
@my home a central router is providing internet to the house, incl my music room. To feed the in wall distribution a simple switch was installed.

I improved the set up in the following way:

- isolating transformer between power wall outlet and power splitter

- better (Keces P8) PSU for the router, feeding the Melco S100 switch as well

- better (buffalo) switch between routet and LAN inwall input for the complete house, but not for the music room

- Melco S100 switch between router and LAN wall input for the music room (the melco changes the in Ethernet prio for Media content

- between Router and Melco S100 and Wall Wireworld Platinum 8 LAN cable

- in the music roon I installed the Innuos switch in front of the musicserver and streamer
(innuos is optimized to provide a „clean“ Ethernt signal

- Wireworld Platinum LAN cables as well

- all digital components in my music room are on a seperate powersplitter, which is connected to a isolating transformer to not disturb my analog set up

I hope, this will provide you some ideas

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
My remote control installer person does not want to connect the ethernet cable upstream of the router and switch. He says that would be external to the network’s firewall. He would like everything behind the firewall.

So the ethernet jack for the streamer in the audio equipment room would come directly (or indirectly through a series of ethernet cables and connections) from the router in the garage.

Is there any particular brand and model of in-wall ethernet cable I should specify?
I would run CAT7 and fiber....

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would run CAT7 and fiber....
Thank you. I think my distributed remote control system is based on CAT6.

Where does the CAT7 go and where does the fiber go?

What y’all call ethernet “switches” look to me like ethernet distribution busses (multi-jack extension cords). I don’t see any switching going on.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,
@my home a central router is providing internet to the house, incl my music room. To feed the in wall distribution a simple switch was installed.

I improved the set up in the following way:

- isolating transformer between power wall outlet and power splitter

- better (Keces P8) PSU for the router, feeding the Melco S100 switch as well

- better (buffalo) switch between routet and LAN inwall input for the complete house, but not for the music room

- Melco S100 switch between router and LAN wall input for the music room (the melco changes the in Ethernet prio for Media content

- between Router and Melco S100 and Wall Wireworld Platinum 8 LAN cable

- in the music roon I installed the Innuos switch in front of the musicserver and streamer
(innuos is optimized to provide a „clean“ Ethernt signal

- Wireworld Platinum LAN cables as well

- all digital components in my music room are on a seperate powersplitter, which is connected to a isolating transformer to not disturb my analog set up

I hope, this will provide you some ideas

Thank you very much for this description, Juergen!

I think everything at the nexus of where the Internet cable comes into the house at the rack for the remote control system and the overhead music distribution system is pretty set right now, so I don’t want to disturb that set-up. A year into it we’re trying to get all of that stuff working still.

How does the Wireworld Platinum LAN cable sound different than a garden-variety LAN cable?

Does installing the Innuos switch in front of the streamer clean and scrub any noise and nasties on the line originating upstream of that Innuos switch?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing