Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One of the odd results of the interminable repairs to our house and not having a stereo set up and having all of my records in boxes for about seven years now is that I don’t really remember what records I own. I know that I have many different versions and copies of my favorite 30 or so titles.

Almost all of these sealed records were purchased from 1988 to the mid-2000s. I know I have a lot of Chesky, Classic Records, Sheffield Lab and DCC Compact Classics. I think I have relatively few Mobile Fidelity re-issues, as I found their re-issues during that era to be unpleasantly bright.

I did allow myself to be suckered into purchasing the recent Carole King and Eagles Mobile Fidelity re-issues. I canceled my pending Mobile Fidelity order for the upcoming Thriller re-issue.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
One of the odd results of the interminable repairs to our house and not having a stereo set up and having all of my records in boxes for about seven years now is that I don’t really remember what records I own. I know that I have many different versions and copies of my favorite 30 or so titles.

Almost all of these sealed records were purchased from 1988 to the mid-2000s. I know I have a lot of Chesky, Classic Records, Sheffield Lab and DCC Compact Classics. I think I have relatively few Mobile Fidelity re-issues, as I found their re-issues during that era to be unpleasantly bright.

I did allow myself to be suckered into purchasing the recent Carole King and Eagles Mobile Fidelity re-issues. I canceled my pending Mobile Fidelity order for the upcoming Thriller re-issue.
Seven years without my vinyl, severe withdrawal symptoms would set in. Congrats though on your collection - it’s sounds rather extensive.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Seven years without my vinyl, severe withdrawal symptoms would set in.

Thank you, but I have been without vinyl only at home. I have enjoyed vinyl on dozens of systems in the last seven years.

Reactions: KeithR and Audire

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
How does the Wireworld Platinum LAN cable sound different than a garden-variety LAN cable?

Does installing the Innuos switch in front of the streamer clean and scrub any noise and nasties on the line originating upstream of that Innuos switch?
Compared to other High End LAN cables the wireworld give more resolution and micro dynamics. If you prefer on this position more full body sound with a little less details, the Acoustic Revieve triple C cable would be my choice.

Please try to get the wall psu units out and replace them with proper DC PSU units (like keces) I assume you will find this devices at your router and on potentiay on your lan splitter in front of your in wall connection.

The different high end switches to follow a different approach to make music sound better.
As Melco belongs to buffalo, they are using a buffalo switch as base and change the code to let media files pass with higher prio.

In front of the streamer a switch with the approach to „clean“ and „reclock“ the signal and transfer it without any mechanical vibration through an as short as possible LAN cable will make a benefit to your digital system. The Innuos switch is the best affordable I personally know (Ansuz might be better, but more expensive)
The effect can be heard easily with my Antipodes K50 musicserver.

Reactions: StreamFidelity

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would like an ethernet cable that doesn’t adulterate the sound in either direction — a cable that gives me natural sound.

Thank you very much!

Reactions: Alrainbow

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would like an ethernet cable that doesn’t adulterate the sound in either direction — a cable that gives me natural sound.

Thank you very much!

IMHO we can't find general specific properties of specific cables in digital audio - their sound characteristics are extremely system dependent. Fortunately, it seems that, as with power cables , most of it comes from the last few meters.

Just to sleep better sometime ago I used Audioquest CAT700 Carbon cable in my house - their top bulk ethernet cable and although expensive it is not ruinous.

Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Just to sleep better sometime ago I used Audioquest CAT700 Carbon cable in my house

Hi Francisco,

Why did the cable make you “sleep better”?

I thought getting JPS in-wall cable would make me sleep better, but now I am concerned about how it might adulterate the sound of my system, and I wish I had used basic copper wire.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Francisco,

I thought getting JPS in-wall cable would make me sleep better, but now I am concerned about how it might adulterate the sound of my system, and I wish I had used basic copper wire.

I could borrow a 6 meter long Ethernet cable of this type and tried it in my Vivaldi upsampler and did not notice any noticeable deleterious effects, so I admitted it would be a good choice. My reference for digital is always the same - a physical SACD played in the Vivaldi stack.

Anything more expensive would probably make me sleep poorly. :(

Reactions: Ron Resnick

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
….a cable that gives me natural sound.
unfortunately no vintage CAT7 cables do exist.
I would say, the most closest you can get to a pure copper sound is the acoustic revieve triple c copper LAN cable for the last meter in front of the streamer .

But there are so many LAN cables existing, that other wbf members would recommend alternatives

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Hi Francisco,

Why are you concerned about JPS in wall cable? It is a simple twisted design. Sound basic engineering construction. Nothing fancy although a bit overpriced. You have insider information on the copper they used and make you sleepless?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why are you concerned about JPS in wall cable? It is a simple twisted design. Sound basic engineering construction. Nothing fancy although a bit overpriced. You have insider information on the copper they used and make you sleepless?

The JPS in-wall cable is not pure copper. I think it’s got some aluminum mixed in, doesn’t it?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Are you in wall cables are installed inside conduit? In this part of the world, most of the electrical wires are installed inside a conduit and buried behind the wall or ground. It is very simple to pull out the old cable and install new one.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Strange. The price they charge is way overpriced. Why do they go for troubles making copper alloy wire?
Pure copper is much more expensive than some cheaper alloy, retail prices will be even higher. Then there’s the audiophile angle which they can make claims with an alloy, probably not with regular electric wire. As far as them making the wires, not sure they are.

david

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Pure copper is much more expensive than some cheaper alloy, retail prices will be even higher. Then there’s the audiophile angle which they can make claims with an alloy, probably not with regular electric wire. As far as them making the wires, not sure they are.

david
Have you done a proper comparison?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing