Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I know we’re looking at below 30hz just looking at it differently.

“You can’t have that earth rumbling bass, that gutteral presence of god type stuff off of a few watts and if you have lots of watts a very even response is needed.”

Lots of watts are needed because of inefficiency and that earth rumbling and gutteral experience is what I might call nauseating specially if it’s Omni present. I’m unfamiliar with Funks, my reply was to Ron and his hypothetical based on what I’d look for. I’m just not a fan of speakers that soak up a lot of power, it’s a different approach and IME low level nuance and subtle delicacies of music are muscled out and there’s plenty of it at 30hz. Anyway final decision is Ron’s!

david

I actually think a subsonic filter is a really good idea for a lot of LP's because they only play surface noise down low. But the ones with information down that low usually don't have the problems the other LPs do because the engineers planned for it in the cutting process. And I think a lot of people do muscle things out when they have bad bass (lots of modes).

If you want to move a 10hz wave, from something that's literally a 74th the size of the wave, it takes power.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Not knowing your components I can’t comment but design of the subs was also part of my argument and higher efficiency is an important quality for me.

david
david,
The woofers are Scanspeak ,made in the late 1980's. IIRC they are +92db or greater. personally I would never use a tube amp to power a subwoofer.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Do you have data on their sensitivity? All I could find is that they are usually shipped with 2400 or 4800W amplifiers ...

Well it depends what model, and the ones he sells aren't necessarily the same as the ones in his production subwoofers. But considering it looks like everything is 90db+ that's pretty darn good, especially since they're probably accurate readings as opposed to the optimistic ones the competition offers typically. When you look at other drivers that play really low they're often optimistic down at 81db.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I hope you don't mind me replying. I make a four-piece subwoofer system called the Swarm.

The basic idea of course is to spread the multiple subs around the room in a manner that smooths the in-room frequency response. The premise is that the in-room response smoothness is what matters the most. Let me explain:

At low frequencies speakers + room = a "minimum phase" system, which means that the frequency response and the time-domain response track one another. So, fix one and you have fixed the other. Bass traps improve the time-domain response directly and therefore indirectly improve the frequency response. A distributed multisub system improves the frequency response (throughout the room typically) and therefore indirectly improves the time-domain response.

Intuitively it would seem that having the arrival time be the same at the listening position for all four subs (implying equidistant placement) would be the ideal. In my opinion higher priority should be given to in-room smoothness. So this is where I disagree with Nathan Funk (though I agree with pretty much everything else he said).

You see, the ear/brain system has very poor time-domain resolution at low frequencies, such that minor differences in arrival time are inconsequential in and of themselves. The ear is incapable of even detecting the presence of bass energy from less than one wavelength, and from 80 Hz to 20 Hz we're talking about wavelengths from 14 feet to 56 feet long. So arrival time differences that correspond to a small fraction of a wavelength are not going to make an audible difference, as long as the blend with the main speakers is good.

But what the ear/brain system IS very good at is, hearing differences in sound pressure level in the bass region. This is revealed by looking at a set of equal-loudness curves, which bunch up south of 100 Hz. A 5 or 6 dB difference at 40 Hz can be as big a change in perceived loudness as a 10 dB change a 1 kHz. This is why we can hear the bass so much better when we turn the master volume up.

When we have in-room peaks, two bad things are going on: First, those peaks stick out like sore thumbs even worse than we might think from eyeballing the curve, because of the ear's heightened sensitivity to SPL differences in the bass region. Second, those peaks decay into inaudibility SLOWER than the the rest of the bass region, and therefore blur subsequent notes and degrade clarity (resulting in "boomy", "muddy", or "slow" bass).

The good news is, when we improve the in-room frequency response (simultaneously improving the time-domain response), the subjective improvement tends to be greater than we'd expect based on eyeballing the before-and-after curves. In my experience, improvements in in-room smoothness pay unexpectedly large subjective dividends.

Now there is a bit more to my Swarm setup suggestions than simply spreading four subs around the room. I suggest using the phase control settings and/or the polarity of the individual subwoofers, as well as possibly plugging some or all of the ports on the individual subs, along with pretty much anything else that is reasonable feasible and improves the in-room bass smoothness.

In other words, I consider the in-room bass response smoothness (including smoothness of integration with the main speakers) to be the thing that matters most because it lies in the domain that we hear the best. And I subordinate pretty much every other consideration in its pursuit, including the simultaneous arrival-time one would theoretically get with equidistant placement.

Mind if I indulge in an anecdote? At RMAF 2018 we had a veteran cable manufacturer spend a fair amount of time in our room. He has literally decades of experience with audio shows. We played his reference recording, of "Fanfare for the Common Man", which I think was the same version as on Wilson Audio's demo disc. Anyway he said it was the most natural-sounding reproduction of those tympani he had ever heard, and he was including a lot of big names (in a lot of big rooms) when he made that statement. "That's what a tympani sounds like" he said, and then went into detail about what he was hearing that corresponded with hearing tympani live. The Swarm in that room was not set up with any consideration given to synchronizing the arrival times; on the contrary, the placement was deliberately asymmetrical and we had the left-hand pair of subs in phase quadrature (shifted 90 degrees) relative to the right-hand pair of subs.

Dear Duke,

Thank you very much for this very detailed and very thoughtful information. I am grateful to you for conveying your experience.

As a non-technical person candidly I don’t know how to evaluate or weigh your advice to focus on frequency response in contrast to Nathan’s simultaneous arrival time concern. Having a swarm near-ish the front wall would satisfy both concerns.

Your very educational post makes a lot of sense to me, and I’m sure you achieve great sonic results with the swarm concept!

The Wilson Audio Watch Controller can control two subwoofers, but cannot set individually the phase of each subwoofer. But having a pair of left channel subwoofers and a pair of right channel subwoofers without doubt would have to improve the in room response.

Thank you again for your post!

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Duke,

Thank you very much for this very detailed and very thoughtful information. I am grateful to you for conveying your experience.

As a non-technical person candidly I don’t know how to evaluate or weigh your advice to focus on frequency response in contrast to Nathan’s simultaneous arrival time concern. Having a swarm near-ish the front wall would satisfy both concerns.

Your very educational post makes a lot of sense to me, and I’m sure you achieve great sonic results with the swarm concept!

The Wilson Audio Watch Controller can control two subwoofers, but cannot set individually the phase of each subwoofer. But having a pair of left channel subwoofers and a pair of right channel subwoofers without doubt would have to improve the in room response.

Thank you again for your post!
You can always switch phase by reversing speaker leads Ron.
david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
david

Good point. There's a lot of control available even in just two channel. Sometimes you just move it a foot and that's enough, too.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A bit of staining
david

I know, thank you. But I assumed Duke meant greater phase adjustability than 0° or 180°.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A little bit of staining progress:

19623017-AAF5-4ED5-BD67-D362F8FF63EE.jpeg

Reactions: GMKF and Folsom

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Duke... looks good with short hair, too (use to rep long hair).

My wife has started making me get a haircut before audio shows. So I get a haircut once a year (yup, whether I need it or not).

Dear Duke,

Thank you very much, Ron!

Sorry I kinda let my inner geek run free there, I appreciate your being a good sport about it.

If I was in your position, I'd follow the advice of my subwoofer manufacturer over the advice of some other manufacturer who stumbled across my thread.

That being said, with multiple (presumably four) subs near-ish the front wall, you might see if you can introduce some variation in their distance from that front wall. Maybe even have one or two along-ish the side wall(s). Think "stonehenge"... instead of perfect symmetry, maybe a little bit of variation here and there, while still following Nathan's equidistance advice.

I assumed Duke meant greater phase adjustability than 0° or 180°.

I didn't go into specifics; I'll try to do so without getting too nerdy.

Most of my Swarm customers drive the four small subs with a single amplifier. In that situation, reversing the polarity of one of the subs (usually the one farthest from the main speakers) usually improves the in-room smoothness. This is done by simply reversing the speaker leads at that sub.

Some of my Swarm customers use two amplifiers, typically driving the two on the left-hand side of the room with one amp and the two on the right-hand side of the room with the other amp (one or two of the subs may actually be along the front or rear wall, but they will be closer to one side of the room than the other). In this situation, they often use the phase controls on the amplifiers to set the subs on the left side of the room 90 degrees different from the subs on the right side of the room.

The basic idea is, to have the in-room bass energy combine in jumbled-up phase, rather than combining largely in-phase at some frequencies and largely out-of-phase at others, which results in major peaks and dips. I realize the idea that jumbled-up phase is preferable in the bass region is counter-intuitive.

I'm pretty sure that introducing any phase variations between the different subs would be inconsistent with what Nathan is trying to do by recommending the subs be equidistant from the listening area, but you might ask him just in case.

I never came across a situation where partial phase inversion did anything.

I'm going to suggest two reasons for placing the subs on the left-hand side of the room 90 degrees apart (in "phase quadrature") relative to the subs on right-hand side of the room.

The first reason is, to improve the in-room bass smoothness.

Imo what we want in the bass region is de-correlation. We want the bass energy to be like the footfalls of a high school football team running out onto the field: No particular frequency is emphasized or de-emphasized. Imo we do not want the in-room bass energy to be like the footfalls of der Wehrmacht on parade: Emphasizing some frequencies and de-emphasizing others.

So in addition to asymmetrical distribution of multiple subs, imo it makes sense to introduce some variation in the phase domain as well, if we accept that de-correlation is desirable.

Note that a major difference between a large room and a small room is how low in frequency the room generates enough reflections to effectively de-correlate the reverberant energy. If you do an un-gated un-smoothed frequency sweep it will look like "grass" in the treble and midrange region from of all the in-room reflections, because the room is large relative to those wavelengths. Psychoacoustically this "grass" becomes a continuum, and we don't hear the individual peaks and dips because they are too close together. Our ears average them out. But as the wavelengths become long relative to the room's dimensions, the "grass" gives way to "peaks and valleys", which are too far apart for our ears to average out. The larger the room, the lower in frequency we still have good de-correlation. Small rooms are the worst, as the peaks and dips are large and far apart, and therefore stick out like sore thumbs. Imo a good distributed multisub system can help a small room to behave more like a large room, and introducing a bit more de-correlation via some manipulation in the phase domain can be part of that.

The second reason to place the left-hand and right-hand subs in phase quadrature is, to synthesize hall ambience. Credit to David Griesinger for this technique. By synthesizing a low frequency phase difference between the energy arriving at the two ears, we can mimic some of the acoustic signature of a much larger space. And the more we can do to remove "small room signature", the better we can hear the signature of the acoustic space that is on the recording. The result is a bit more convincing sense of "envelopment" or "immersion" in the soundscape of the recording. And if you do have a recording with true stereo bass, that true stereo bass is just a phase-knob-twiddle way.

Anyway that's my opinion.

Robert Greene of The Absolute Sound reviewed my four-piece Swarm subwoofer system in April of 2015. He tried it with a single amp driving all four subs, and then with two amps in phase quadrature. He preferred the latter. The review is arguably an interesting read for anyone contemplating using a bunch of subs.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My wife has started making me get a haircut before audio shows. So I get a haircut once a year (yup, whether I need it or not).

Thank you very much, Ron!

Sorry I kinda let my inner geek run free there, I appreciate your being a good sport about it.

If I was in your position, I'd follow the advice of my subwoofer manufacturer over the advice of some other manufacturer who stumbled across my thread.

That being said, with multiple (presumably four) subs near-ish the front wall, you might see if you can introduce some variation in their distance from that front wall. Maybe even have one or two along-ish the side wall(s). Think "stonehenge"... instead of perfect symmetry, maybe a little bit of variation here and there, while still following Nathan's equidistance advice.

I didn't go into specifics; I'll try to do so without getting too nerdy.

Most of my Swarm customers drive the four small subs with a single amplifier. In that situation, reversing the polarity of one of the subs (usually the one farthest from the main speakers) usually improves the in-room smoothness. This is done by simply reversing the speaker leads at that sub.

Some of my Swarm customers use two amplifiers, typically driving the two on the left-hand side of the room with one amp and the two on the right-hand side of the room with the other amp (one or two of the subs may actually be along the front or rear wall, but they will be closer to one side of the room than the other). In this situation, they often use the phase controls on the amplifiers to set the subs on the left side of the room 90 degrees different from the subs on the right side of the room.

The basic idea is, to have the in-room bass energy combine in jumbled-up phase, rather than combining largely in-phase at some frequencies and largely out-of-phase at others, which results in major peaks and dips. I realize the idea that jumbled-up phase is preferable in the bass region is counter-intuitive.

I'm pretty sure that introducing any phase variations between the different subs would be inconsistent with what Nathan is trying to do by recommending the subs be equidistant from the listening area, but you might ask him just in case.

I'm going to suggest two reasons for placing the subs on the left-hand side of the room 90 degrees apart (in "phase quadrature") relative to the subs on right-hand side of the room.

The first reason is, to improve the in-room bass smoothness.

Imo what we want in the bass region is de-correlation. We want the bass energy to be like the footfalls of a high school football team running out onto the field: No particular frequency is emphasized or de-emphasized. Imo we do not want the in-room bass energy to be like the footfalls of der Wehrmacht on parade: Emphasizing some frequencies and de-emphasizing others.

So in addition to asymmetrical distribution of multiple subs, imo it makes sense to introduce some variation in the phase domain as well, if we accept that de-correlation is desirable.

Note that a major difference between a large room and a small room is how low in frequency the room generates enough reflections to effectively de-correlate the reverberant energy. If you do an un-gated un-smoothed frequency sweep it will look like "grass" in the treble and midrange region from of all the in-room reflections, because the room is large relative to those wavelengths. Psychoacoustically this "grass" becomes a continuum, and we don't hear the individual peaks and dips because they are too close together. Our ears average them out. But as the wavelengths become long relative to the room's dimensions, the "grass" gives way to "peaks and valleys", which are too far apart for our ears to average out. The larger the room, the lower in frequency we still have good de-correlation. Small rooms are the worst, as the peaks and dips are large and far apart, and therefore stick out like sore thumbs. Imo a good distributed multisub system can help a small room to behave more like a large room, and introducing a bit more de-correlation via some manipulation in the phase domain can be part of that.

The second reason to place the left-hand and right-hand subs in phase quadrature is, to synthesize hall ambience. Credit to David Griesinger for this technique. By synthesizing a low frequency phase difference between the energy arriving at the two ears, we can mimic some of the acoustic signature of a much larger space. And the more we can do to remove "small room signature", the better we can hear the signature of the acoustic space that is on the recording. The result is a bit more convincing sense of "envelopment" or "immersion" in the soundscape of the recording. And if you do have a recording with true stereo bass, that true stereo bass is just a phase-knob-twiddle way.

Anyway that's my opinion.

Robert Greene of The Absolute Sound reviewed my four-piece Swarm subwoofer system in April of 2015. He tried it with a single amp driving all four subs, and then with two amps in phase quadrature. He preferred the latter. The review is arguably an interesting read for anyone contemplating using a bunch of subs.

Thank you Duke for the explanation. My sole purpose for using subs in a system is frequency extension and foundation for the main the speakers not the strategies you mentioned probably why I find phase quadrature? (new word for me) useless nor do I understand how it works physically when the speaker cone, membrane, etc. can only operate moving front to back or back to front never seen them move sideways, how’s 30/60/90 degree phase inversion physically achieved?

In room low frequency cleanup in this manner is basically bass canceling which usually comes at too high a price sonically when high end speakers with articulate bass are involved and I don’t think that this is what Ron is looking for, at least not at this point.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The Wilson Audio Watch Controller can control two subwoofers, but cannot set individually the phase of each subwoofer.

In order to use stereo subs you need two Watch Dog controllers - the left and right channels are summed at the input of the controller. Just got the second one ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The second reason to place the left-hand and right-hand subs in phase quadrature is, to synthesize hall ambience. Credit to David Griesinger for this technique. (...)

IMHO the "natural" school of thought in WBF will not appreciate this idea ... ;) David Griesinger has patented this technique, we can find some detailed explanation in his patents.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
IMHO the "natural" school of thought in WBF will not appreciate this idea ... ;) David Griesinger has patented this technique, we can find some detailed explanation in his patents.
Not necessarily true Micro, I haven’t heard it and would very much like to hear a proper presentation but that doesn’t mean that not I’m not skeptica.

Bass cancellation to smooth out bass response is a different thing which I find problematic at best and definitely not something I’d go for in a high end system.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not necessarily true Micro, I haven’t heard it and would very much like to hear a proper presentation but that doesn’t mean that not I’m not skeptica. (...)
david

Well, we learn something new everyday - but I could not expect you would endorse a technique that adds artificial hall ambience and spatiousness from recordings with mono-summed bass.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Well, we learn something new everyday - but I could not expect you would endorse a technique that adds artificial hall ambience and spatiousness from recordings with mono-summed bass.
Probably not when you put it that way but I’m still curious, might be another tool in the tool bag for a H/T room.
david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Not necessarily true Micro, I haven’t heard it and would very much like to hear a proper presentation but that doesn’t mean that not I’m not skeptica.

Bass cancellation to smooth out bass response is a different thing which I find problematic at best and definitely not something I’d go for in a high end system.

david

What part is using cancellation? (That is intentional, since all speakers in rooms tend to create their own)

If it sounds right, it sounds right... I wouldn't be kept up at night thinking how I got there is wrong.

Last edited:

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Thank you Duke for the explanation. My sole purpose for using subs in a system is frequency extension and foundation for the main the speakers not the strategies you mentioned...

IF subs could help an arguably too-small room sound more like a big room, would that be potentially useful?

...nor do I understand how it works physically when the speaker cone, membrane, etc. can only operate moving front to back or back to front never seen them move sideways, how’s 30/60/90 degree phase inversion physically achieved?

The movement of two cones in "phase quadrature" would be 1/4 of a cycle apart in time. When one cone is halfway through the cycle, the other cone is either 1/4 of the way through that same cycle, or 3/4 of the way through that same cycle. By way of imperfect analogy, they dance the same dance but one is always 1/4 of a step behind the other.

In room low frequency cleanup in this manner is basically bass canceling which usually comes at too high a price sonically when high end speakers with articulate bass are involved and I don’t think that this is what Ron is looking for, at least not at this point.

Imo you just put your finger on the heart of the matter! But I think you are missing one critical piece of information:

Bass cancellation is inevitable!

You cannot choose between having cancellation and not having it; you can only choose between ignoring it and doing something about it (and most of us ignore it because we don't realize it's happening). Bass cancellation is what dips in the in-room frequency response are caused by. All non-anechoic rooms have them.

In-phase reinforcement is not exactly desirable either. That's what creates in-room peaks. Perceptually, peaks are even more objectionable than dips.

The way to minimize cancellation would be to use one big sub in a corner. This will give you the deepest and loudest bass, but it will also be very far from smooth.

A fairly even distribution of cancellation and reinforcement results in smooth bass, and "smooth" bass = "fast" bass. So what we are trying to do with a distributed multisub system is, deliberately and intelligently manage cancellation and reinforcement, because both are inevitable and too much of either is undesirable.

There is no perceptual price that is paid in "articulation" when you smoothe the in-room frequency response via a distributed multi-sub system. The ear does not hear the "leading edge" of bass energy. The ear responds too slowly to the presence of bass energy to do so. What it DOES hear are the higher harmonics (perceptually that's where the "leading edge" comes from), and it also hears the in-room frequency response. As I previously explained, the ear actually has a heightened sensitivity to frequency response in the bass region relative to the rest of the spectrum, so this is the most important issue from a perceptual standpoint. Decay is directly tied to frequency response in the bass region - if a note is taking too long to decay, it is because there is an in-room peak at that frequency. Solve the one problem and you have solved the other.

I readily admit that the whole idea of a distributed multi-sub system seems highly counter-intuitive at first glance. The question is whether it actually makes a worthwhile sonic improvement, which of course cannot be established with words. But it might be useful to look at this from another angle anyway:

With a single subwoofer, in-room peaks and dips with a spread of plus or minus 8 dB are not uncommon. Let's say your worst peak is 8 dB above the "average". And let's say we can tolerate a bass peak 3 dB above the "broadband average" of our main speakers before that peak "blooms" too much. So we set the level of our subwoofer such that the peak is not objectionable, which puts the "average" level of the subwoofer region (which was 8 dB below that peak) about 5 dB down relative to the rest of the spectrum. So we'd be missing out, but this is usually preferable to turning the sub up louder and cringing whenever that peak is excited.

With a good distributed multi-sub system, our in-room peaks and dips will typically be about plus or minus 3 dB. Now we can turn up the gain on our subwoofer amp and get our 'average" bass region SPL to approximately match the "broadband average" SPL of our main speakers without the remaining small peaks being objectionable, so we are no longer missing out.

One alternative method of getting this kind of in-room smoothness is to use a single sub and rely on equalization, which has this drawback: With only one sub, the more we use EQ to improve the in-room frequency response at one listening location, the worse we are making the frequency response elsewhere in the room. This is because the room-induced peak-and-dip pattern is significantly different at different locations in the room. With a distributed multi-sub system the frequency response is much more uniform throughout the room, so that if we do still have a problem frequency, chances are it's a "global" (throughout-the-room) problem rather than a "local" one... which actually makes it a very good candidate for correction via EQ! In other words, not only does a distributed multisub system reduce the in-room peaks-and-dips, but it also reduces the variation in that peak-and-dip pattern from one location to another throughout the room. And EQ can make a distributed multisub system better for everyone in the room, not just for the sweet spot.

IMHO the "natural" school of thought in WBF will not appreciate this idea [using phase quadrature on laterally-distributed subs to synthesize the impression of being in a larger room]

When we reduce the signature that our small rooms super-impose on top of the recording, we hear more of the recording and less of the room. This is difficult to do in the bass region because the wavelengths are so long, but the phase quadrature technique is one way of making an improvement in this area, by "pushing back" the walls of the room much like professional room treatments can do higher up the spectrum.

So in one sense it's not natural, but maybe it actually sounds more natural.

...I could not expect [David] would endorse a technique that adds artificial hall ambience and spatiousness from recordings with mono-summed bass.

That's a perfectly reasonable argument, but sometimes the ear does not PERCEIVE the way the mind reasons.

Please click on the link at the bottom of this post, and scroll down to the section entitled "The Spatial Effect." It's only a few paragraphs long. The writer is a mathematics professor at UCLA and a concert violinist. (The last time I spoke with him in person, Robert Greene was developing the nineteen-dimensional mathematics that will constitute the theoretical foundation for the next step beyond string theory.)

Assuming you already have at least two subs, you might even try it and see if it sounds more or less like you are hearing a live performance. If not, it is easily reversible.

Probably not when you put it that way but I’m still curious, might be another tool in the tool bag for a H/T room.

Another tool for the bag is the most I could hope to convey to an industry professional.

If your system is already as close to perfect as you can reasonably imagine, then YOU have no need for anything I have described. But if you have a CUSTOMER who is fighting a losing battle against a small room, having another tool in your bag is not a bad thing! (If you are ever in that situation feel free to contact me, don't worry I won't try to sell any of my stuff to anyone involved.)

Below is the link to Robert Greene's review, read it as a commentary on the distributed multi-sub CONCEPT, rather than as a commentary on a particular product. For the record, TAS went on to give the system a "Product of the Year" ("POTY"??) award, so presumably some of the ideas it embodied had some merit. But those ideas could be even better implemented via state-of-the-art subwoofers. If nothing else, take a look at the section entitled "The Spatial Effect":

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

Last edited:

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
david

I know, thank you. But I assumed Duke meant greater phase adjustability than 0° or 180°.

That sounds like fine tuning !;)

It IS fine-tuning... at its finest! Do one little thing and it neatly solves a problem that otherwise would require EQ.

Let me explain a little bit more of the reasoning behind reversing the polarity of one of the subs in a distributed multisub system:

With multiple (often four) subs spread around the room, in the upper bass region the subs are far enough apart (and more importantly their reflections off the room boundaries are far enough apart) that their outputs effectively combine in semi-random phase throughout the room. But down at the bottom end of the bass region, the subs (and more importantly their reflections off the room boundaries) are a much smaller fraction of a wavelength apart, such that their outputs combine in-phase or nearly so. Assuming the subs started out "flat", the net effect of this in-phase summing down low will be a rising output as we go down in frequency. This can sound a bit fat and slow.

(For those of you somewhat technically inclined, two identical sources in semi-random phase sum to +3 dB, while two identical souces in-phase sum to +6 dB, so the net rise at the very bottom end, described above, is approximately +3 dB.)

By reversing the polarity of one of the subs, in the upper bass region it is still combining with the others in semi-random phase throughout the room. But now down at the bottom end of the bass region, where the room is definitely small relative to the wavelengths, this 180 degrees out-of-phase single sub is partially cancelling the output of the others. The net effect is to cancel out the above-described rise as we go down in frequency, which tightens things back up.

In addition, every time I have tried it, I have found that reversing the polarity of one of the subs results in smoother in-room response across the bass region, by increasing the de-correlation (see post number 1671 above). Phase quadrature has the same net effects. So whether we reverse the polarity of one sub, or use phase quadrature, we're nailing two birds with one stone. Nowadays I don't even save it for the fine-tuning stage; I start out with the far sub in reverse polarity (or with phase quadrature dialed in) from the beginning of the set-up process.

By the way, despite my seemingly limitless ability to rattle on about distributed multisub systems, I do not think they are "the best" approach. There is another approach that I THINK would be better, though I've never experienced it. If anyone is interested (which is a possibility given the name of this site), I'll take a shot at describing it. But implementing it is quite complicated and imo calls for a huge leap of faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and Folsom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing