Saskia model two

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Isn’t this what much of our hobby is about?
Sure. One of my fave lps is Led Zeppelin 3, which runs the gamut from proto metal, to folksy, to acoustic. You could make an argument to play Immigrant Song thru Darts into MM7s and Tangerine thru Mayers or Lamms into Pnoes or Cessaros. At the very least yr argument would say that this album would benefit from a change from SS to tubes every other song. I understand that going for the ideal can preclude practicality, but really?

Reactions: bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sure. One of my fave lps is Led Zeppelin 3, which runs the gamut from proto metal, to folksy, to acoustic. You could make an argument to play Immigrant Song thru Darts into MM7s and Tangerine thru Mayers or Lamms into Pnoes or Cessaros. At the very least yr argument would say that this album would benefit from a change from SS to tubes every other song. I understand that going for the ideal can preclude practicality, but really?

We all have to compromise somewhere. Even Mike has “only” one barn!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My very personal and subjective opinion on the Lamm ML3's subject : IMHO no one listening to the ML3's without the LL1 or the LL1.1 preamplifier has fully experienced the capabilities of the ML3. In fact I think that the LL1 is the masterpiece of Vladimir Lamm. And yes, I agree that Lamm ML3's are not adequate amplifiers for people wanting to listen at warp9.
You can actually do warp9 with ML3 when you have matching speakers. But maybe not warp11 like Mike.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You can do warp 11 with 1 to 3 watts with the right speakers.

That said, even on the Lamm thread people tried to position it as that Lamm did not work for Mike because he was trying to run it at warp 9. That was never the case. But he covered it in detail why it did not work for him in that 2000 plus post thread.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
haven't played the Saskia for a few days, being caught up with the CS Port. so tonight i switched it on and let lt warm up for 30 minutes.

now playing an AP Pablo reissue of the 33rpm 'Dizzy Gillespie's Big 4'........and it's rocking my world. super explosive, immediate and intense. weighty and with such drive. just a fireball of energy and horn love. the music is a bit more forward and 'reach out and touch it holographic' than the CS Port's more expansive stage and authoritative ease.

is that the tt? the GFS verses Anna D carts? the linear tracker verses the Durand Tosca? darTZeel phono verses the CS Port? maybe a bit of each?

don't know but while the presentation of the CS Port seems perfect, so does the Saskia presentation and they are quite different. glad i have both. over time things will sort themselves out.

and then there are the 468 mono blocks adding to the equation now. all my references are blown up and i'm hearing more into this music. the Saskia is really complimentary to the 468's added liquidity, textures, and grip, the sum greater than the parts. again this is shouting tubes and 'breath of life'.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am curious about and puzzled by what you mean by “shouting tubes”?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I am curious about and puzzled by what you mean by “shouting tubes”?

sorry.

'shouting tubes' is just a feeling that the Saskia's particular presentation (1) adding an extra touch of drive energy and also the (2) added tonal density, combined with the 468's tube like liquidity, texture and ease = the sound of tubes to my ears. and it's not anything subtle....it's shouts it!!! loudly!

fundamentally i think the Saskia already did some tube like things objectively. i know i've posted about that before. so when added to the 468 sound it's a bit of a double down of that idea. and no doubt it's not too much of a good thing, it's exactly how you would want it to sound. exactly the right balance of attributes to my ears.

i think i need a jazdoc visit to get an objective perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
sorry.

'shouting tubes' is just a feeling that the Saskia's particular presentation (1) adding an extra touch of drive energy and also the (2) added tonal density, combined with the 468's tube like liquidity, texture and ease = the sound of tubes to my ears. and it's not anything subtle....it's shouts it!!! loudly!

fundamentally i think the Saskia already did some tube like things objectively. i know i've posted about that before. so when added to the 468 sound it's a bit of a double down of that idea. and no doubt it's not too much of a good thing, it's exactly how you would want it to sound. exactly the right balance of attributes to my ears.

i think i need a jazdoc visit to get an objective perspective.

Thank you for elaborating! I want to hear it myself!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, did you ever get around to that Herbie Hancock comparison on yr three tts? I kinda get why CS Port might have the edge on classical music, material demanding a large stage and plenty of air. My library is full of late 60s/early 70s dense polyrythmic music, fat w Fender Rhodes and fuzz bass, and this music really needs to nail timing and upper bass articulation if it's not to sound sludgy and smeared.

Await yr feedback.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Last week I watched and heard constructor Leif Johannsen demonstrate the ortofon range of cartridges from 2m red to anna diamond at a dealer in copenhagen.

Turnable and arm was new technics top of the range and an ikeda sut was used for the mc’s.

It all sounded very good. But to these ears the star of the show was the spu century. It had a particular nice tone.

I speculate one of those on your saskia combined with an ikeda step up will sound fantastic. Imuho.

Jesper

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Last week I watched and heard constructor Leif Johannsen demonstrate the ortofon range of cartridges from 2m red to anna diamond at a dealer in copenhagen.

Turnable and arm was new technics top of the range and an ikeda sut was used for the mc’s.

It all sounded very good. But to these ears the star of the show was the spu century. It had a particular nice tone.

I speculate one of those on your saskia combined with an ikeda step up will sound fantastic. Imuho.

Jesper

i have admired an SPU Century recently reading about it.:) sounds like a great cartridge.

added tone is a double edged sword. my mind is open to your perspective, but not sure which side of the that i would be on. not every system equally benefits from that extra tone. in my system the Anna D has the most optimal tonal character of any cartridge i have heard. but that's my ears and my system.

to use an SPU i would need to switch tone arms. or i could use it on my CS Port linear tracker but would need to futz the set-up to get the overhang right.....but that's not on the Saskia.

at some point in the future i might acquire a tonearm for one of my arm boards for the Saskia that will accept an SPU. if i do i could try your suggestion. the piggy bank is pretty wrung dry at the moment so not in the near future. i have a few things ahead of that on my wish list. but it will likely happen at some point.

Last edited:

ciro71

Dec 16, 2019
haven't played the Saskia for a few days, being caught up with the CS Port. so tonight i switched it on and let lt warm up for 30 minutes.

now playing an AP Pablo reissue of the 33rpm 'Dizzy Gillespie's Big 4'........and it's rocking my world. super explosive, immediate and intense. weighty and with such drive. just a fireball of energy and horn love. the music is a bit more forward and 'reach out and touch it holographic' than the CS Port's more expansive stage and authoritative ease.

is that the tt? the GFS verses Anna D carts? the linear tracker verses the Durand Tosca? darTZeel phono verses the CS Port? maybe a bit of each?

don't know but while the presentation of the CS Port seems perfect, so does the Saskia presentation and they are quite different. glad i have both. over time things will sort themselves out.

and then there are the 468 mono blocks adding to the equation now. all my references are blown up and i'm hearing more into this music. the Saskia is really complimentary to the 468's added liquidity, textures, and grip, the sum greater than the parts. again this is shouting tubes and 'breath of life'.

I’m sorry for the OT Mike
May I ask you which is the model name/brand of your lamp? I mean the lamp near the turntable.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Mike, thought I'd make this thread a little visible again. I see you've been playing some classical on the Saskia. I think we idler fans intuitively get why we love dense rhythmic music on our chosen drivetrain. But classical on idler doesn't get much of a discussion - I can't remember the last time a 301 or 401 review even mentioned classical.
So, how is it shaping up? Can you compare and contrast classical presentation on the Saskia and via yr belt drive CS Port?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike, thought I'd make this thread a little visible again. I see you've been playing some classical on the Saskia. I think we idler fans intuitively get why we love dense rhythmic music on our chosen drivetrain. But classical on idler doesn't get much of a discussion - I can't remember the last time a 301 or 401 review even mentioned classical.
Marc,

i have been doing exactly that.......just being awestruck by just how insightful and involving the Saskia model two is on classical smaller group recordings. the Saskia brings exactly the right combination of an extra dollop of pace and tone along with quiet as a tomb backgrounds. again; the addition of the EMIA SUT has taken things to another sexyness level.

i'd say this combination is the best i've ever heard for small combo........anything!

right this minute i'm listening to a Schubert Cello/Piano Sonata that is lovely. the tone density is just superb. i'm sure we will get the obligatory Ked post about the General's OP being that much better.:p sigh.;)

this is the one i own, and have for 20+ years. i'm happy.

https://www.discogs.com/Schubert-Br...For-Arpeggione-And-Piano-Brid/release/8240976

Slava.jpg

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I know you said you feel you were getting to "know" the Saskia better and how to get the best out of it. Is it going places it didn't before?
My guess is that music needing a huge tonal palette, ability to absolutely hang things in space and not congeal in anyway, ie large scale symphonic, might still shine more on the CS Port?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marc,

i have been doing exactly that.......just being awestruck by just how insightful and involving the Saskia model two is on classical smaller group recordings. the Saskia brings exactly the right combination of an extra dollop of pace and tone along with quiet as a tomb backgrounds. again; the addition of the EMIA SUT has taken things to another sexyness level.

right this minute i'm listening to a Schubert Cello/Piano Sonata that is lovely. the tone density is just superb. i'm sure we will get the obligatory Ked post about the General's OP being that much better.:p sigh.;)

this is the one i own, and have for 20+ years. i'm happy.

https://www.discogs.com/Schubert-Br...For-Arpeggione-And-Piano-Brid/release/8240976

View attachment 66457

The original Decca for this is one of their best recorded LPs. The dynamic range is so high

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
One day, when i grow up, i will force myself to like classical, like Tang did ;) Im just missing so much ! :rolleyes:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I know you said you feel you were getting to "know" the Saskia better and how to get the best out of it. Is it going places it didn't before? My guess is that music needing a huge tonal palette, ability to absolutely hang things in space and not congeal in anyway, ie large scale symphonic, might still shine more on the CS Port?

i think for me this is more about simply playing more vinyl, and lots of that being on the Saskia. the EMIA SUT has really propelled my balance of listening way toward vinyl, and unleashed the Etsuro Gold to another dimension of performance. which then rides the Saskia places i've never been.

and the Saskia has no limits with it's overall design. in a different way the same for the CS Port. the top for both has been blasted off.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe the key to being an audiophile who can run multiple tts with no glitch in the mental process is having lots of kids and loving them equally.

*Mike, what do you think of my little audiophile/Fathers Day intersection there? Lol.

Of course, back in my parent's day, you had many kids...and you had absolute favourites. Not gonna say whether my sister or me came out of that sociological experiment better than the other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing