Shoes

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
for casual I have been using Merrell Jungle Mocs since 2003. I keep replacing them. They are slip ons, I hate laces, and super comfortable for long walks and can wear through the day.

For 5k runs I use Asics. I have been running 5k under 23 mins, I get faster each time I outrun the mods

For Office I use Oliver Sweeney because they are extremely comfortable and again no laces yet very formal looks. Not required those in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I always thought Bally loafers are very comfortable.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
for casual I have been using Merrell Jungle Mocs since 2003. I keep replacing them. They are slip ons, I hate laces, and super comfortable for long walks and can wear through the day.

For 5k runs I use Asics. I have been running 5k under 23 mins, I get faster each time I outrun the mods

For Office I use Oliver Sweeney because they are extremely comfortable and again no laces yet very formal looks. Not required those in a while.

This is the Oliver Sweeney for formals. Super comfortable, no laces

Merrell Jungle Moc https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Me...V,B000AQJFNM,B07DYH44YK,B00D1KOK16&srpt=SHOES

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Loafers and dress shoes are J.M. Weston since I was introduced to them by a buddy. They just fit my feet perfectly. Excellent materials and construction to go with the classic designs.

These work from home days however it's mostly Flip flops and Adidas Ultra Boosts :(
Dear Jack,
I hope you are well, healthy and even more wealthy. May I suggest a pair of Manolo Blahnik leather-trimmed Raffia Loafers. They are also hand made. Very very comfy. You are in the tropic and probably wear linen often. Try this pair. They go so well with linen.

79B6608F-2825-49F5-A1A2-D9934DAD6BA7.jpeg

Kind regards,
Tang

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dear Jack,
I hope you are well, healthy and even more wealthy. May I suggest a pair of Manolo Blahnik leather-trimmed Raffia Loafers. They are also hand made. Very very comfy. You are in the tropic and probably wear linen often. Try this pair. They go so well with linen.

View attachment 82345

Kind regards,
Tang
Those would go well with Linen indeed Tang :)

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
I have a wide foot so New Balance for walking and errands.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Keen. Great hiking boots and casual leather shoes. Roomy toe boxes for wide feet.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
In Europe the swiss brand "on" is all the rage.
I wonder if they are already known in the rest of the world?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
In Europe the swiss brand "on" is all the rage.
I wonder if they are already known in the rest of the world?
They are pretty big in the US. I haven't tried a pair. I stick to Brooks Addictions.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
They are pretty big in the US. I haven't tried a pair. I stick to Brooks Addictions.
You should at least try a pair on (pun intended) and see how you like them.
You might be surprised (as I was)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Running Shoes - ok guys, comparophilia continues...

I was using Asics Gel for running. I decided to go to a Runners shop and try different ones. So the guy said, for 5ks it doesn't matter, it is not like I am running marathons, so unless I develop an injury, most shoes are fine. My query was more related to recovery. I can't run daily, and need minimum a day, if not 2 in between to recover if I am to run at my top speed. He said recovery won't change with shoes and I should go with what feels best. He probably meant natural.

So, I tried different Brooks and Asics. The Brooks suited me better, as did Asics Hyperspeed. Other Asics, especially their most cushioned one, felt heavy. The Brooks all seemed fine, so I went with their maximum cushioning, the Glycerine.

Now, after that I went to another shop where I tried the Rocker Sole shoes - these are the ugly boat shaped ones, where the midfoot extends like the belly of most audiophiles. The most popular of these are the Hoka from Vietnam.

And wow, The Hoka One One Carbon X. Instant difference when you wear it. Especially if you are a heel striker, because they have a lot of cushioning at the heel, and due to the boat shape, they roll over immediately to the midfoot and distribute pressure across the foot. Due to the roll over from heel to toe, your legs move quickly and even your slower jogs are quite quick. It has a carbon plate in the sole which seems to reduce impact. Also very stable

Suggest anyone running give these a try. They are also great for long walks. Just that their colors are ugly.

So now I have the Brooks and will get the hoka carbon X

Unfortunately now I am planning to spend less time running and use the Prowler Sled for cardio and conditioning. It will allow me to recover more quickly between legs workouts as compared to running.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
And wow, The Hoka One One Carbon X.

I cannot imagine the ingenious agricultural comments you would draw on a polite London street wearing hoofing around in the X2.

Over the last year or so a set of muted logo Converse Chuck Taylor high tops in light grey seem to have taken over as my everyday shoe / cycling shoe. Expect to refine this choice with something more upscale and possibly French by Springtime. Attractive and fun active shoes are a rare breed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I cannot imagine the ingenious agricultural comments you would draw on a polite London street wearing hoofing around in the X2.

Currently the only reason I did not snap up is the WAF. It looks even worse if you run in shorts. At least with longer tracks you can cover up some of the shoe as long as you don't trip up over the tracks

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
I just took delivery of a pair of Edward Green boots. My local 'higher end' mens store does special orders with EG and helped me with these. Nice Ridgeway soles making them appropriate for street wear. A splurge of course by why not. EG makes really great shoes the old-fashioned way.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Currently the only reason I did not snap up is the WAF. It looks even worse if you run in shorts. At least with longer tracks you can cover up some of the shoe as long as you don't trip up over the tracks

Haha, I'm far from judging.

These are my current designated cycling shoes for rural ventures during manure spreading season or anytime rain is for certain to wash the grime off exurban structures. For above reasons they are the wide model to allow thicker and taller socks. Oddly they have a stiffer carbon sole than any race shoe giving them an unexpectedly spry character during spirit sapping slogs.

Much uglier than photo suggests.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing