VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: zerostargeneral

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In Europe the swiss brand "on" is all the rage.
I wonder if they are already known in the rest of the world?

I tried various On for running but they don't suit me well. They have a particular bump at the ball of the feet that puts pressure on my ankle near the instep. In running shoes they look good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Aren't jogging shoes for jogging? Haven't done that since I was a teenager!

Yeah I meant you should start again. Maybe if you wear them instead of those gaudy stiff shoes you posted above you might actually start running.

I gather from the look of those shoes you haven't dated in a while either

• Haha
Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Yeah I meant you should start again. Maybe if you wear them instead of those gaudy stiff shoes you posted above you might actually start running.

I gather from the look of those shoes you haven't dated in a while either
Running ain't my thing. I would rather swim a marathon than run it. Now I just need to find some John Lobb budgie smugglers...

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
all Mephisto all the time. for 15 years. i'm on my feet, in and out, bad weather and good, all day long at work. and i get a few of them rebuilt when the style is no longer available. i have not purchased new shoes in 2-3 years. + Nike's.

but me and style have little in common. :rolleyes:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
For running I use Nike Invincible and Adidas Ultraboost 21. Both are good, the Nikes are very soft, Adidas firmer. It's nice to alternate. Been considering trying out Hoka.

Shoes, boots... I've been a fan of The Last Conspiracy for a while. Excellent quality and fit. Low-key avant-garde style, they also have more traditional styles too.

Reactions: Ovenmitt

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For running I use Nike Invincible and Adidas Ultraboost 21. Both are good, the Nikes are very soft, Adidas firmer. It's nice to alternate. Been considering trying out Hoka.
Looks like you are going for the bigger, cushioned, heftier ones where the sole could provide some response to running. I haven't tried the Invincible but tried the ultraboost and preferred the Hoka Carbon X. I did try some other trainers from the Nike Zoom X category.

The New Balance 1080/fresh foam is also nice. In Brooks there is Glycerin, but I find that a bit boring. The clunkiest of the lot was Asics Novablast, which is their most cushioned.

That said, not sure if you tried the racing issues. These are much lighter and feel great, but usually came at the risk of minimal cushion and stability, and requiring the owner to be a pro run with good foot striking form. However, with the new carbon plated shoes, these shoes also have good cushion and stability.

Leading them are Nike's Vaporfly Next % and the Alphafly, and Asics Metaspeed Sky and Metaspeed Edge. The Vaporfly was great for me in terms of feel, and very propulsive of the front of the foot, and great to walk in too. However, the midsole is slightly narrower for me. Never got to try the Metaspeed as it sold out too fast. But the lower brethren Magic Speed and Hyperspeed were promising, and Metaspeed has a wider sole so it might have been the one for me.

Anyway, the good thing is New Balance has got out a racer, the fuel RC Elite V2, which both experts and users comment that while it might be slightly heavier and slower than the above Nike and Asics supershoes, it is the most comfortable racing shoe. I tried it and that is spot on. Also propulsive, and very snug and great comfort. For those like us who are not competing at racing, this might be the fun shoe for daily training. I am thinking of adding it to the rotation with Hoka Carbon X to see which works better longer term, unless I itch and buy the Asics Metaspeed online from somewhere.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Looks like you are going for the bigger, cushioned, heftier ones where the sole could provide some response to running. I haven't tried the Invincible but tried the ultraboost and preferred the Hoka Carbon X. I did try some other trainers from the Nike Zoom X category.

The New Balance 1080/fresh foam is also nice. In Brooks there is Glycerin, but I find that a bit boring. The clunkiest of the lot was Asics Novablast, which is their most cushioned.

That said, not sure if you tried the racing issues. These are much lighter and feel great, but usually came at the risk of minimal cushion and stability, and requiring the owner to be a pro run with good foot striking form. However, with the new carbon plated shoes, these shoes also have good cushion and stability.

Leading them are Nike's Vaporfly Next % and the Alphafly, and Asics Metaspeed Sky and Metaspeed Edge. The Vaporfly was great for me in terms of feel, and very propulsive of the front of the foot, and great to walk in too. However, the midsole is slightly narrower for me. Never got to try the Metaspeed as it sold out too fast. But the lower brethren Magic Speed and Hyperspeed were promising, and Metaspeed has a wider sole so it might have been the one for me.

Anyway, the good thing is New Balance has got out a racer, the fuel RC Elite V2, which both experts and users comment that while it might be slightly heavier and slower than the above Nike and Asics supershoes, it is the most comfortable racing shoe. I tried it and that is spot on. Also propulsive, and very snug and great comfort. For those like us who are not competing at racing, this might be the fun shoe for daily training. I am thinking of adding it to the rotation with Hoka Carbon X to see which works better longer term, unless I itch and buy the Asics Metaspeed online from somewhere.

Cool, thanks! Yeah, I'm 100% casual and just got back into running a year ago so I went for max cushion and stability. I mostly ride my mt bike and do resistance training for exercise, but running is convenient and burns calories quickly, doesn't require a trip to the gym and gets me outdoors.

I also recently picked up a Samsung Watch4, I got it for free with a $5/month line and so far it's been great! The data it gives you from running is really cool, maybe not perfect at everything but the running coach did point out some issues with my technique, which prompted me to investigate what I'm doing wrong and make some improvements. I think the watch actually saves time as you can get info with a quick glance and don't have to pick up the phone nearly as much, and on runs you still have a full cellphone right on your wrist if you have a call you can't miss, and if you listen to music it can do that too. It's pretty amazing how small and light it is for the functions it has.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Cool, thanks! Yeah, I'm 100% casual and just got back into running a year ago so I went for max cushion and stability. I mostly ride my mt bike and do resistance training for exercise, but running is convenient and burns calories quickly, doesn't require a trip to the gym and gets me outdoors.

I also recently picked up a Samsung Watch4, I got it for free with a $5/month line and so far it's been great! The data it gives you from running is really cool, maybe not perfect at everything but the running coach did point out some issues with my technique, which prompted me to investigate what I'm doing wrong and make some improvements. I think the watch actually saves time as you can get info with a quick glance and don't have to pick up the phone nearly as much, and on runs you still have a full cellphone right on your wrist if you have a call you can't miss, and if you listen to music it can do that too. It's pretty amazing how small and light it is for the functions it has.

Yeah the best thing about running is just leave your house and get jogging. That said it keeps me interested only if I can beat my own time at regular intervals during the run, as compared to the last one.

Running is the least efficient in terms of impact and recovery and risk of injury. Given a choice if your gym has the prowler sled, that's the best, followed by cycling and then rowing. These are also more concentric and less eccentric so recovery is faster, and no impact. London gyms are too small for prowler sleds

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
Alden for work
I found their shell cordovan shoes way too heavy and clunky (style-wise) for me. At least they are in demand; I actually made money reselling a number of shell cordovan pairs.

It was just something on my way to find style(s) that work for me.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I found their shell cordovan shoes way too heavy and clunky (style-wise) for me. At least they are in demand; I actually made money reselling a number of shell cordovan pairs.

It was just something on my way to find style(s) that work for me.
I have 3 pairs of shell cordovan Aldens. They have broken in nicely. I have resoled a pair of loafers twice. They have a more traditional look which works for my office environment. I have a few pair of calfskin Aldens that are in the rotation with the shell.

Last edited:

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
On average I walk between 40 - 45 miles per week, year round so I go through roughly 5-6 pairs of walking shoes (pavement) plus hiking boots (offroad trails) a year. As you can imagine, there’s no place for ‘walking-in‘ a pair of uncomfortable shoes and i need something that feels great from the very first stride to the last So for me Oboz….made in Bozeman, Montana are the walking shoes of choice.

By changing my shoes/boots regularly I avoid overuse injuries…..as the boot soles approach finished I’ll start to notice some minor soreness, so i know its time to change, which I do immediately. In order to be able to change shoes without delay I usually order 3 to 4 pairs at a time and keep a little stock in my cupboard

When the shoes are finished, the uppers look almost new but the soles and support elements are done.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On average I walk between 40 - 45 miles per week, year round so I go through roughly 5-6 pairs of walking shoes (pavement) plus hiking boots (offroad trails) a year. As you can imagine, there’s no place for ‘walking-in‘ a pair of uncomfortable shoes and i need something that feels great from the very first stride to the last So for me Oboz….made in Bozeman, Montana are the walking shoes of choice.

By changing my shoes/boots regularly I avoid overuse injuries…..as the boot soles approach finished I’ll start to notice some minor soreness, so i know its time to change, which I do immediately. In order to be able to change shoes without delay I usually order 3 to 4 pairs at a time and keep a little stock in my cupboard

When the shoes are finished, the uppers look almost new but the soles and support elements are done.

Thanks. Good feedback for a change on this thread, some people thought it was an audio thread and recommending clunky stuff that looked like wadax, instead of what shoes are meant for.

I too walk around 35 miles a week. Not trails however as hiking is only occasional, so more tar.

How do these shoes compare to more common shoes like merrell or skechers in comfort.

I totally hear you on the wearing of shoes causing soreness but with 24 hour deliveries that is now sorted

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Solid stage shoes.

1645239750344.jpg

rpk

Aug 30, 2020
Germany
Speaking of shoes: for the hobby shoes my shoe cleaning room. A 15 sqm. phone / handy free zone for relaxation, calm and nice polished shoes are another pleasing result.

Rainer wishes furthermore much enjoyment of your shoes

L1000252.jpg L1020077.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: ACHiPo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing