Since when has McIntosh been considered Hi-End?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Really? Wow. I also owned the MC275 and C2300 (rather than C2200). Thought it was utterly awful. Probably the muddiest and low resolution amp / pre combination I ever owned by a large margin. That was with very efficient speakers too.
Indeed they made some great stuff--in the last century!--I gave up on the brand after spending squillions on a MC2300--sounded as you described

perfectly!--shut down on every transient /etc--it was good as a Boat Anchor!:confused:

I've tried to like the demos of the latest stuff-- sorry not for this boyo!

BruceD

May 30, 2010
Portugal
Really? Wow. I also owned the MC275 and C2300 (rather than C2200). Thought it was utterly awful. Probably the muddiest and low resolution amp / pre combination I ever owned by a large margin. That was with very efficient speakers too.
No experience with the C2300 - although I know it is a very different preamplifier from the C2200, with plenty of modern signal processing and features. Some people I know well never changed their C2200.

I have never seen McIntosh powering very efficient speakers, I used my combo mainly with Quad ESL63 , Wilson system 7 and the Sonus Faber Stradivari. Plenty of life, detail and resolution. Probably it was not a good match in your system. Did you try the MC275 with other preamplifiers?

RogerD

May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
By what I see McIntosh is a live and well in Japan.
Kendrick Sound in their videos seem to show them a lot.
I listened to a lot of Mac gear back in the 1970’s...a little to colored for me but I always lusted over the looks. In 1999 I purchased a MR78 tuner...which has been the cold shower for the lusting. Wouldn’t mind having a pair of vintage tube amps though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing