Since when has McIntosh been considered Hi-End?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Really? Wow. I also owned the MC275 and C2300 (rather than C2200). Thought it was utterly awful. Probably the muddiest and low resolution amp / pre combination I ever owned by a large margin. That was with very efficient speakers too.

Indeed they made some great stuff--in the last century!--I gave up on the brand after spending squillions on a MC2300--sounded as you described

perfectly!--shut down on every transient /etc--it was good as a Boat Anchor!:confused:

I've tried to like the demos of the latest stuff-- sorry not for this boyo!

BruceD

Reactions: Designsfx

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Really? Wow. I also owned the MC275 and C2300 (rather than C2200). Thought it was utterly awful. Probably the muddiest and low resolution amp / pre combination I ever owned by a large margin. That was with very efficient speakers too.

No experience with the C2300 - although I know it is a very different preamplifier from the C2200, with plenty of modern signal processing and features. Some people I know well never changed their C2200.

I have never seen McIntosh powering very efficient speakers, I used my combo mainly with Quad ESL63 , Wilson system 7 and the Sonus Faber Stradivari. Plenty of life, detail and resolution. Probably it was not a good match in your system. Did you try the MC275 with other preamplifiers?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
By what I see McIntosh is a live and well in Japan.
Kendrick Sound in their videos seem to show them a lot.
I listened to a lot of Mac gear back in the 1970’s...a little to colored for me but I always lusted over the looks. In 1999 I purchased a MR78 tuner...which has been the cold shower for the lusting. Wouldn’t mind having a pair of vintage tube amps though.

Crazy Steve

Nov 18, 2019
Interesting opinions, but I think many are missing the point as to the reasons why Mac owners have love for their gear. Although it may be a generational thing to a certain point. A quick history lesson may be in order...

In the late '50s through to the late '60s, McIntosh and Marantz were at the top of the audiophile food chain in the US, with lesser brands like Fisher competing on price, and for the 'tweakers', DIY brands like Dynaco offered a path for the rugged individualists to pursue. 'Console' audio systems (many including a TV) from RCA, Magnavox, and Zenith were the norm for most end users. Then came the Japanese invasion. Pioneer, Kenwood, Teac, and the initially gray-market Sansui gear brought in by the returning GIs were the first major import manufacturers supposedly offering the same performance as 'high end' gear at a fraction of the price. Stereo stores proliferated until it seemed there was one on every corner, many of them 'discount' outlets. The revolution had arrived... hi fi for the masses.

But that performance proved to be a mirage in many cases. As anyone who attended a McIntosh test clinic in the '70s can attest, the gap between advertised specs and actual specs could be quite wide. Enough so that the FCC finally standardized requirements for advertised specs.

My attendance at one of those clinics is what led me to purchase my first piece of Mac gear; a Mac 1900 receiver. At over twice the price (or more) of any of the import receivers, I was derided by my friends for spending 'too much' for it. But within five years, my choice looked better as virtually all of my friends had experienced failures requiring replacement.

What also happened is as the offshore competition increased, the remaining American brands moved their manufacturing offshore. One by one, until McIntosh was the sole remaining US high-end manufacturer until some new start-ups appeared (notably Bob Carver with Phase Linear. As an aside, I was there when he brought his first prototype to a Mac clinic where it promptly burned up... a issue he continued to have problems with). So in a way, McIntosh proved that there was still a market for US-built high-end gear, leading to all the current choices out there.

Being a working stiff making $5 per hour in 1971, that receiver represented a very large investment on my part. Being blue-collar, I never really had the money for new very high-end gear even as time passed and my income went up, so I always shopped for the 'best bang for the buck'. I upgraded multiple times by shopping the used market as well as select new gear (non Mac, although I did purchase a new C712 to replace my C28 that my ex could never figure out how to use...LOL).

One thing became clear as time passed; McIntosh build quality was second to none. All through the years, as my 'other' gear wore out or broke requiring replacement, my Mac gear kept working flawlessly with a few minor exceptions. What really brought it home was when I had some backlight lamp failures. Inquiring at the local Mac dealer revealed they wanted $200 each piece for labor plus parts. Not wishing (or being able to afford) to spend $600+ for my three pieces (MC2300, C28, and the 1900 doing double-duty as a second-room amp and tuner), I asked to purchase just the lamps. They refused to sell them to me 'for my protection'...

This being the pre-internet days, a on-the-ground search was needed. I pulled the lamps (all of them; if some were starting to go, the rest couldn't be far behind) and started looking for replacements. IIRC, there were seven different lamps. No luck; no one could match the numbers up. I finally found a place that couldn't match them, but had a interchange list and could substitute a different number. When I asked what the difference was, I was told that the 'standard' lamps he had were rated for a 2000 hour average life; the ones I had were 'industrial' lamps and rated for 20000 hours, or ten times longer. A trip to a industrial electronics supplier supplied me with the lamps for roughly $100 (due to minimum order quantities, I ended up with a bunch of spares...LOL). Build quality indeed!

So McIntosh's reputation as 'high end' is IMO based as much on their build quality as their sonic performance. While their iconic styling is an attraction for some (and I'll admit, I've grown to like it; it's certainly more legible than most of my 'other' gear in current use), I don't think that's what's kept them in their place. I just sold my long-unused Mac 1900 (47 years old!) recently, it still worked just like it did when new.

Last edited:

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Another audio website has McIntosh threads which make up about one third of the total manufacturer threads. The site owner, chief administrator and chief poster appears to own over 50 pieces of McIntosh gear.

On this site the McIntosh threads fall 33rd in the manufacturer popularity ranking.

I'm sure you'll get a quite different perspective on the brand on the two websites.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I started my audio journey on the other forum mentioned. I purchased B&W speakers with Mac 601's and used their flagship processor as my pre. At the time, I knew very little about equipment and never saw myself doing anything but moving up the McIntosh and B&W line. Back then, where I live, that is all I had access to. It all changed when my local dealer closed shop. I wanted some new Transparent cables and called them to ask if there was another local dealer or if they could recommend one. They directed me to a dealer 2 hours away that drove some demo cables to my house and set them up. He listened to what I thought was the greatest system in the world and his reaction was polite but I could sense he felt there was a lot of room for improvement. He recommended I come to his place and listen to some different options he had. I made the trip and what I heard changed everything about my wants and expectations. I couldn't be happier with the sound I have now, but am always aware that I may still be blissfully ignorant. I guess you don't know how good it can be until you hear it. My dealer now has Rockport Lyras and I'm afraid to make the trip. I still use some of the Mac amps and processor with my HT. no snobbery here just evolved taste.

Dave

Reactions: sujay

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I bought a pair of Mc611's and a c49 a little over a week ago. I took the long way around. It's true we don't know what we don't know I do know my system sounds as good as anything I've heard in a demo room and better than most.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I listened to the ma352 drive a pair of dali Epikore 11’s recently and decided I’m upgrading the c49 to the c2700.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
You might think about the fact that McIntosh is considered high end in America, but not so much in Europe. I have no dog in the fight: I've never heard a McIntosh amp or anything else from them. But someone is wrong, or, maybe high-end is just what you think it is?

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I have a 2006 Aston Martin DB9. Aston Martin's road cars have not been at the pinnacle of sports/GT car performance for 50 years or so, but their balance of style (visual, auditory, and even tactile) and road manners still persuades many to prefer them over Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McLaren.
I feel happy every time I walk into my garage and see my car sitting there, waiting for me. I grin from ear-to-ear when I turn the key and see "Power-Beauty-Soul" scroll across the dash, and I feel as giddy as a young man in love when I press that Start button and hear those twelve cylinders explode into life. Then, when I return after a few hours, gliding through my neighborhood on my way back to my garage, I just feel so darn fulfilled.
I don't own a MacIntosh, but I suspect their owners understand.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
Why would Mcintosh not be considered hi-end in Europe , it is in Asia ..?
You'd have to ask the Europeans. It's been forty years since I left, so I'm not the best one to answer.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
I have a 2006 Aston Martin DB9. Aston Martin's road cars have not been at the pinnacle of sports/GT car performance for 50 years or so, but their balance of style (visual, auditory, and even tactile) and road manners still persuades many to prefer them over Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McLaren.
I feel happy every time I walk into my garage and see my car sitting there, waiting for me. I grin from ear-to-ear when I turn the key and see "Power-Beauty-Soul" scroll across the dash, and I feel as giddy as a young man in love when I press that Start button and hear those twelve cylinders explode into life. Then, when I return after a few hours, gliding through my neighborhood on my way back to my garage, I just feel so darn fulfilled.
I don't own a MacIntosh, but I suspect their owners understand.

Love Aston’s myself always wondered why many pass on them for mass supply rides..

Regards

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
audiophiles show up at my house to buy my used gear in 6 figure vehicles. I expect they can't help but think my priorities are a little messed up. The Kef Blade and Mac Mc611's are hi-end to me.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
The Departed (2006) Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon and Leonard DeCaprio
”The Departed” - Amazingly obvious product endorsement on that one, the entire wall was full of Mc gear. I remember thinking to myself “this confirms that cop is on the take!” Here’s a shot of Vera preparing to listen to a recorded conversation while putting her headphones on backwards.

IMG_0693.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: JackD201

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
You'd have to ask the Europeans. It's been forty years since I left, so I'm not the best one to answer.
Forty years ago, seriously? You’re commenting on how McIntosh is considered in a place you’ve not been for 40 years … that’s like the guys who bash Linn because they heard one in 1984 and they didn’t like it. Forty years ago there was hardly any high end market anywhere.

I had McIntosh back 50+ years ago. It was THE high end. Hi Fi aficionados aspired to own McIntosh.

I sold those original tube components for literally 5 to 10 times their original msrps..

McIntosh holds its value, and in some instances (if you can get two guys who want to buy it for export to bid against each other) it can increase dramatically.

McIntosh is repairable. McIntosh is nearly bullet proof. McIntosh is uniquely American.

For their price point, they sound as good as or better than any of their price point competition.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I think McIntosh and Martin Logan (Friends, The Italian Job) have been spotted in movies and TV being used by A-list actors more than any other marks :)

SOTA and Duevel are aggressive on House. SOTA even gets mentioned in the credits.

Here's a list of MACs in film from Roger Russel's website:

9 1/2 Weeks (1986) starring Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger. MC2155 closeup of one meter and countdown numbers.

As Good As It Gets (1997) starring Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt

What Lies Beneath (2000) Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer

High Fidelity (2000) John Cusack and Stephen Frears

The Grateful Dead movie

Pillow Talk (1960) Doris Day and Rock Hudson. C-8 preamp. Can only be seen in the wide screen version.

Stepford Wives (remake) Nicole Kidman. MC2000 can be seen.

The Departed (2006) Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon and Leonard DeCaprio

Executive Action (1973) Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan. MX110
The TV series “Elementary” had McIntosh product placement a few times.
Here’s a frame of one example. You can see the blue aura behind Johnny Lee Miller.

IMG_1253.jpeg

Reactions: Long Live Analog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing