Single Driver Thoughts?

Republicoftexas69

Thinking about trying to audition in my home some single driver speakers, Cube, Omega, Zu.

Am I missing anyone I should consider?

Would be driven by an Audio Hungary Qualiton X200, I have QLN Sonora and Raven Audio CeLest Towers now. room in 14x16 with 12 foot ceiling and has acoustic treatments.

No idea why I have this bug to do this.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I'm your man for all opinions Zu. I think I know why you're tempted by this path.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Phil, 213Cobra here, is also worth reaching out to, what he doesn't know about Zu isn't worth bothering with.
I'd say if you're looking at the best fidelity in the line, currently the Druid 6 and Soul 6 are the ones to consider. I believe Definitions 6 (new version of my pair) are imminent this year, and these will be their TOTL.

Republicoftexas69

Phil, 213Cobra here, is also worth reaching out to, what he doesn't know about Zu isn't worth bothering with.
I'd say if you're looking at the best fidelity in the line, currently the Druid 6 and Soul 6 are the ones to consider. I believe Definitions 6 (new version of my pair) are imminent this year, and these will be their TOTL.
Thank you. I will take a look and a listen...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Your Q re tubes...yes, they are tube friendly. I ran my Zus in a 27x29x13 space off 27W 845s, and now in a 18x55x9 space off 70W 211s. I would say the 845s were a tad underpowered for that room, but my current 211s in this room work perfectly.
One of the main differences btwn Cube and Zu is the contrast in efficiency, and the finicky nature of amp damping factor demanded by the Cubes. The Zus are much more "amp agnostic".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thinking about trying to audition in my home some single driver speakers, Cube, Omega, Zu.

Would be driven by an Audio Hungary Qualiton X200, I have QLN Sonora and Raven Audio CeLest Towers now. room in 14x16 with 12 foot ceiling and has acoustic treatments.

Single driver is like wanting utopia that doesn't exist. Most single drivers are highly limited, otherwise no would have made/preferred multiway speakers. Even the ones known for coherence like Tannoys are not completely single way, they are dual concentric and still limited compared to very good multiways.

the only good single driver I have heard (having heard Zus and Cube, though Zu has an active bass so not exactly single driver), is Pnoe with AER BD4 or 5, only in very specific configurations. And it is just too expensive.

But try by all means, am sure you will buy as well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Single driver is like wanting utopia that doesn't exist. Most single drivers are highly limited, otherwise no would have made/preferred multiway speakers. Even the ones known for coherence like Tannoys are not completely single way, they are dual concentric and still limited compared to very good multiways.

the only good single driver I have heard (having heard Zus and Cube, though Zu has an active bass so not exactly single driver), is Pnoe with AER BD4 or 5, only in very specific configurations. And it is just too expensive.

But try by all means, am sure you will buy as well.
Ked, anyone looking for utopia needs to find another hobby Lol. And single driver afficionados are certainly aware of the big picture. We just like what they do for musical presentation compared to the vast choice in multidrivers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can't help on Omega, sorry.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, anyone looking for utopia needs to find another hobby Lol. And single driver afficionados are certainly aware of the big picture. We just like what they do for musical presentation compared to the vast choice in multidrivers.

Single driver guys are more married to the theory rather than what they hear.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Single driver guys are more married to the theory rather than what they hear.
Maybe one day a girl will marry you, Ked.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

Bache Audio. Not a single driver but an augmented wide banger. A single wide band driver covers most of the range (500 hz to 8500 hz in my custom Metro 001’s). It is augmented by an Eton woofer below 500 hz and a Fostex tweeter above 8500 hz. All of the benefits of a single driver speaker without the limitations at the frequency extremes.

Republicoftexas69

Bache Audio. Not a single driver but an augmented wide banger. A single wide band driver covers most of the range (500 hz to 8500 hz in my custom Metro 001’s). It is augmented by an Eton woofer below 500 hz and a Fostex tweeter above 8500 hz. All of the benefits of a single driver speaker without the limitations at the frequency extremes.
Thank you.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Interesting room dims you have, as close to a cube as you can get. Is that an issue acoustically?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing