Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: amadeus
Schubert “Death and the Maiden.” and Capanini 24 Caprices. I think I put £150. I was scooping ice cream for my little boy, the bidding was very quick. I was too late to raise my bid. My bad.

I don’t get the charity part. My English is elementary. No kidding.

Kindest regards,
Tang
Not charity to you Tang, more like a free sample from a drug dealer. He knows you will be back for more of the good stuff!

I can never win in his auction. It all looks fine till the last minute and then people have already placed in max bids too high. So even if you have good connection you will get outbid in the last 3s unless you place a high bid.

I do try to go as per previous prices on popsike or current ones on eBay and discogs but his end up too high so I gave up.

That’s the school I am into. But normally I find people who says this already has one hell of the resolution in his system.

Btw, I was just out-bided on two of your auctions because my damn shitty WiFi :(.

Kindest regards,
Tang

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bom/
This is handy for you.

Absolutely terrible analogy. The technology of wine making has not changed, a 1986 Château Ausone is absolutely better than a 2018 Château Ausone.

First, it's impossible for anyone to have tasted a 2018 yet - hasn't been harvested. You probably meant the great 2015 harvest.

Then, we have Chataeu Margaux https://www.forbes.com/sites/tmulle...r-team-steering-chateau-margaux/#224f01515588

The conservative exterior architecture of the château contrasts with the progressive mindset of Madame Mentzelopoulos. Although she loves the tradition of Margaux, she is enamored by, and fully engaged with, the buzzing worlds of technology and travel.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/food...-experiments-greener-techniques-weather-warms

In fact, he explains that rejecting the science would also be a rejection of the traditions of the chateau. "As far as tradition is concerned, it has always evolved depending on the progress of science and technology."

We totally understand that some are looking for a great arm which lets them easily swap cartridges... that's great. But the internal wiring alone in this SME cannot possibly be up to par, even as compared to much lesser arms, like mine with its Valhalla wiring and Lemo connectors. It just doesn't feel that people are getting the most out of their top-shelf ancillary gear, that's all... although, I get it, who cares what I think.

PS: Here's Margaux's modern cellars https://howtospendit.ft.com/food-drink/202699-the-brave-new-world-of-chateau-margaux and you can probably guess why I brought them up (think 1970s vs later years)

http%3A%2F%2Fs3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com%2Ffthtsi-assets-production%2Fez%2Fimages%2F6%2F6%2F0%2F1%2F1381066-1-eng-GB%2F03+New+Cellar_Vats+2_Credit+Saison+d+Or+Mathieu+Anglada.jpg

“There is so much change going on in Bordeaux right now,” says Corinne. “Everyone’s been investing, building new cellars, modernising the equipment, getting stricter on [grape] selection and launching second wines. And we’ve all been travelling like crazy.”

Last edited:
Absolutely terrible analogy. . . .

I agree.

I am sure this is a partially flawed analogy for one or more reasons I don’t see at this moment, but here goes: consider a Ferrari 360 (or your favorite 20 year old Ferrari) versus a 488 (or your favorite current Ferrari). The newer car is superior in every objective and technical way (speed, acceleration, handling, fuel economy (keeping horsepower constant), braking, suspension, etc.) to the vintage car.

But is the newer car subjectively superior and more enjoyable to drive in every way? Is there something about the complexity and the electronic systems and controls of the newer car which make the newer car a less authentic, a less visceral, a less natural, a less connected, a less pleasurable experience in one or more ways?

I agree.

I am sure this is a partially flawed analogy for one or more reasons I don’t see at this moment, but here goes: consider a Ferrari 360 (or your favorite 20 year old Ferrari) versus a 488 (or your favorite current Ferrari). The newer car is superior in every objective and technical way (speed, acceleration, handling, fuel economy (keeping horsepower constant), braking, suspension, etc.) to the vintage car.

But is the newer car subjectively superior and more enjoyable to drive in every way? Is there something about the complexity and the electronic systems and controls of the newer car which make the newer car a less authentic, a less visceral, a less natural, a less connected, a less pleasurable experience in one or more ways?

And some also still love the Isetta and the original Cinquecento

That’s the school I am into. But normally I find people who says this already has one hell of the resolution in his system.

Btw, I was just out-bided on two of your auctions because my damn shitty WiFi :(.

Kindest regards,
Tang

I often use auctionsniper https://auctionsniper.com/ set to four seconds. We miss the auction adrenaline, but our success is much higher.

+1

Agreed 100%. I am in the process of collecting the Music Matters LP's...they are all superb. Many are even better than my original Blue Notes! ( inner groove noise is generally far less than the originals).

The Music Matters Blue Note albums are indeed fantastic. Also excellent are the 1970's Japanese repressings using the original mastertapes and pressed by Toshiba. Feel free to PM me for the best Japanese sellers.

. . .

The bayonet mount 3012r is legendary for many good reasons that are not subjective as long as all of the implementation rules are followed.

The V12 is no less legendary and should not be seen as better or worse merely different.This particular tonearm is able to accommodate a wider range of dynamic compliance.

. . .

The 3012r is best with low compliance transducers whereas the V12 is able to control high compliance light weight ones.

Personally I prefer the 3012r to the V12,because I am reasonably versed in set up I do not mind the extra challenges involved.

For a less committed listener the V12 is way easier to get right.

. . .

Thank you kindly, General, for so deftly and soberly untangling the preferences and passions regarding the 3012R versus the V12 we have seen on this thread.

The bayonet mount 3012r is legendary for many good reasons that are not subjective as long as all of the implementation rules are followed.

The V12 is no less legendary and should not be seen as better or worse merely different.This particular tonearm is able to accommodate a wider range of dynamic compliance.

Hmmm, earlier we were told that SME doesn't have as good engineers now as back then, and that the 3012R is the pinnacle of their arms... Then, you also said something about lack of resolution in the V12??!?!? THIS is why folks like Peter and myself are looking for direct comparisons.

Ron, you've been in my 1968 Citröen DS21.
By many parameters it doesn't match up to or exceed current spec cars, esp on fuel economy and safety.
But the driving experience outstrips the majority of any new cars that one can mention.

Mr. Resnick,

Thank you very much for your kind words.I am enamoured with your ability to read posts and understand them.This may sound trite yet I mean it sincerely.

I cannot understand what is lost on those who do not rate musicality as the pinnacle of accolades?

Kindest regards,G.

When it comes to cars..and the driving experience...NOT the ownership experience ( as IMO these are two different things and mutually exclusive)--IME, newer is ALWAYS better. Example #1...Porsche. Driving a classic Porsche 356, highly enjoyable, driving the new Porsche GT2RS...better in all areas, period. Example #2, driving a Ferrari 308, highly enjoyable, driving a new Ferrari 488 Spyder...better in all areas, period. I know this as I have done all of the above. So, for me personally ( and this is really the crux of the matter) is the newer car the better car...in one word..ABSOLUTELY. ( purely from the driving experience)

Getting back to audio, it has become clear to me that we have two different types of listeners on this forum...in the one camp we have the listener who places tone and for want of a better word "sweetness" above all else; in the other camp, we have the listener ( and I tend to fall into this camp) that places the ability to hear the tiny details that allow one to have a mistaken impression that one is listening 'live' ( and what we call 'resolution') to any particular instrument- above all else. Those that seem to fall into the former camp seem to prefer horn based systems and look for a system that has 'naturalness'. Those that prefer the latter, seem to prefer a system that can elucidate as much as possible what one would typically expect to hear at the 'live/unamplifed event'. Perhaps HP got it right those many years ago...The absolute Sound listener vs. the music/musicality lover. ( although there are listener's, like myself, who fall into the absolute Sound camp and love music..but I suspect we are not the norm).

Last edited:
I cannot understand what is lost on those who do not rate musicality as the pinnacle of accolades?

Kindest regards,G.

You can have musicality from great tone, liveliness, dynamics, without extraordinary resolution. And resolution without the aforementioned does not give you musicality.

Yet you get the highest musicality with great resolution. Timbral resolution for musical believability, separation of instruments and simultaneous strands for the emotional involvement that comes from musical intelligibility.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu