Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: amadeus
Who said that arm height isn’t important, of course it is! You’re drawing totally the wrong conclusion here Peter, IME there’s one optimized VTA position where almost every lp will fall in and the only reason to change for each and every lp is because you haven’t nailed it the first time. I didn’t go back & forth 12 times to fine tune the VTA after setting it, that’s the number of times it took listening to the same track to nail it. You think that’s a lot setting up vta in a totally alien system that still had to be optimized? It’s a one time thing set it correctly and forget it!

david

I may not have been clear in my post, David. What I mean is that the owners of the 3012R arm don't think adjusting the arm height after the initial set up is important. I obviously did not mean to imply that one should not be careful with adjusting and setting arm height during the set up proceedure. The SME manual is very clear and well written. One should follow its instructions and know what to listen for. I was taught this too by my SME dealer. When my first SME dealer was setting up my Model 10A with 309 arm, he taught me, like you taught Tango, what to listen for when setting up the SME arm. He played one LP (Johnny Hartman, "Once in Every Life") over and over again until he got just the right balance between the sounds of the instruments, the timbre, dynamics, presence, etc. He pointed out particular piano notes, siblance, bass tone, etc. He told me that this LP always seems to work for the job because he discovered that it represented the best compromise setting for the rest of his LP collection. All LPs sound good when set up using that particular LP. He set it and forgot it and declared the job done. It sounded great and I enjoyed my music. I followed this same technique for years.

I understood what Tang first wrote, that you went back and forth 12 times while doing the initial set up and listening to the same music. He made it sound like a lot, but I know this is at least a minimum of what it takes. This was fine tuning the VTA until you nailed it. Once nailed, you left it alone. That is clear to me. I do the same thing, though you obviously have much more experience than I do, and with a variety of arms and systems. I just have my system and don't advise others.

I happen to do this same exercise to adjust VTA for each of my LPs and record the setting. Back and forth until I nail the sound for that LP. Then, that setting is left alone. The difference is that I can hear that that same setting I spend a while locating for a particular LP is not optimal for all of my other LPs. It is optimal for about 1/4 of them. I presume it is because this 1/4 have the same combination of cutting angle and vinyl thickness. It is "good" for all of my LPs, but it is not the optimal setting. For optimal results, I have about five different settings, in tiny 0.5mm increments, which cover my collection. Three settings cover 80% of the collection and then there are some outliers..

Perhaps my ears are deceiving me. Perhaps my audio friends are lying to me, and perhaps I don't know what I am doing. All of that may be true, but I am happy in my delusion and obsession. I think I understand your process for setting up the SME arms. I don't think going back and forth 12 times is a lot for a totally alien system. That sounds extremely fast from what I can tell. You have a lot of experience and I'm sure that it would have take me much longer and with far less good results. Tang is lucky to have had you come and set up his system for him. I guess his former local experts got it close. Deitrich must have gotten it closer with his own Axiom arm. From what Tang writes, you transformed his system and he now experiences much more emotional and musical involvement as a result. You corrected his system, and it was not just the addition of the 3012R and the AS2000. You improved the system and increased it's resolution and sense of "natural" sound independent of the new gear you brought over. Your 3012R and AS200 just took it to the next level beyond. It's all good.

Last edited:
Christian, do you find that all of your cartridges have the same headshell to stylus vertical distance so that you do not have to adjust the arm height of your 3012R when changing between your quite impressive collection of vintage cartridges? How about when you go from a modern to a vintage cartridge? I may have missed whether or not you have multiple 3012Rs for this purpose.

Last edited:
I happen to do this same exercise to adjust VTA for each of my LPs and record the setting. Back and forth until I nail the sound for that LP. Then, that setting is left alone. The difference is that I can hear that that same setting I spend a while locating for a particular LP is not optimal for all of my other LPs. It is optimal for about 1/4 of them. I presume it is because this 1/4 have the same combination of cutting angle and vinyl thickness. It is "good" for all of my LPs, but it is not the optimal setting. For optimal results, I have about five different settings, in tiny 0.5mm increments, which cover my collection. Three settings cover 80% of the collection and then there are some outliers..

Perhaps my ears are deceiving me. Perhaps my audio friends are lying to me, and perhaps I don't know what I am doing. All of that may be true, but I am happy in my delusion and obsession.

No, Peter, your ears are not deceiving you, nor are your audiophile friends, including me, lying to you (but you knew that of course ;)).

It is physically impossible that one VTA setting is optimal for all different LP thicknesses.

No, Peter, your ears are not deceiving you, nor are your audiophile friends, including me, lying to you (but you knew that of course ;)).

It is physically impossible that one VTA setting is optimal for all different LP thicknesses.

I lie to Peter all the time. In fact, I'm lying now. :)

Not always the case- ARC amps honestly sucked for several decades until recently. Many people think early JRDG and Krell amps sound much better than their successors. The CJ ACT preamp was kind of a dog and many didn't sell their ARTs until the GAT was released. Berkeley's Ref 1 was rather quickly revised to Mk2 status. Others believe the old Virgo 2 speaker was better than the 3. How about those crappy Rowland Class D jobs? (I sold mine the following week)

So its not always about "progress"- engineering teams sometimes go in different sonic directions, intentionally, that aren't ultimately successful. Maybe that's the case with SME, don't really know...but to accept SME's newer arms on a prima facie basis doesn't make sense to me.

KeithR,

Although I know from experience that when someone posts what seemed to me an exaggerated and unfair statements it worthless trying to persuade him of the contrary - it is all subjective, I respect other people opinions, but I must say I disagree with most of of what you say.

I owned most of the equipment you refer - friends and I had great sound with the ARCs you refer. The same for all the cj's you refer - ART I, ART III , original ACT and ACT II - they all went through my system, I sold the ART III recently. No way the early Rowlands sounded better than later ones - I made the mistake of buying a Coherence I some years ago by nostalgia (and because it was cheap , ... :eek:) and when I compared it with the Consumate of a friend I was really disappointed ...

SME series 30 and V equipment is still a reference for many audiophiles and IMHO will always be for the positive aspects that they bring to LP reproduction. Just because I am currently playing with new toys does not diminish their sound quality. I assume I change a lot just for the fun of searching new aspects of stereo playback, I do not need to promote my last newcomer and demote the replaced ...

Madfloyd, you're married maybe?
Have a GF?
And she asks "Do I look fat in this?"
And she does.
And you say...?

Hmm, got it. I've not been faced with that dilemma before. Maybe I'd say "Well not as fat as you'd look naked?" What do you think? I guess I should be prepared in case this ever comes up.

Madfloyd, that is the WRONG!!!! answer.
Kind of like when a digiphile you hate to disagree with goes "Well, you can't deny we've caught up w analog now".

(...) I think I understand your process for setting up the SME arms. (...)

IMHO it is the critical point. We think we understood, but IMHO we are not fully understanding. IMHO you are not understanding that David process of setting the SME is only valid in a particular set of conditions - that probably are not fulfilled by most of our systems in their current conditions. I will quote David elucidative and clear answer:

(...) Every room and system is different you need someone with experience to show what needs to be done, if it's done right and taught effectively the person can carry on their own but ultimately it comes down to individual's intellect, trust between the parties and willingness to give it a shot. Of course not all is divulged on line and there are things that are kept between me and the concerned party. (...)
david

Keith, have to disagree with you here, many of the early ARC amps were and still are superb sounding pieces. My old ARC D70Mk2 would easily see off many a newer design..and was amazing for its age and period. Not to say that it couldn't be bettered, and is by my current tube set up; but for its period..it was way ahead of its time, IMO. Rowland knows about the current class D sound; but there are other forces at work here. However, when it comes to SME, I cannot see why they would not be completely accurate in their account.

Except we are actually in agreement! I'm assuming you were less than enthusiastic about ARCs efforts in between the D70 and the Ref75. Don Saltzman wrote about the change in sound in his review of the Ref 250SEs:

"One of the most interesting aspects of the Ref 250 SE is its tonal palette. Some reviewers have commented that earlier Audio Research amplifiers suffered from a certain lightening of tonal color, i.e., a threadbare or whitish quality. After months of listening to the 250 SEs, I can report that the tonal color of these amplifiers is anything but threadbare.All instruments are presented with a richness of color that you would hear live. Indeed, this is one of the reasons many of us are addicted to the sound of tube amplification. The interesting part is that while tonal color is fully saturated, it never progresses to the over-ripe or excessive bloom that some tube amplifiers can’t seem to avoid."

KeithR,

Although I know from experience that when someone posts what seemed to me an exaggerated and unfair statements it worthless trying to persuade him of the contrary - it is all subjective, I respect other people opinions, but I must say I disagree with most of of what you say.

That's fine- although I don't feel I'm exaggerating. I can't tell you how many audiophiles I've met that are surprised by ARC's latest sonic signature. The brand had alienated them years ago.

That's fine- although I don't feel I'm exaggerating. I can't tell you how many audiophiles I've met that are surprised by ARC's latest sonic signature. The brand had alienated them years ago.

250 SE and ref 10 are much superior to the ones till 150 and ref 5SE. G series not much experience

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu