I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shakti, I have gathered that FR64s works well on many cartridges regardless of compliance. Whats your thought ? Which cartridges do you like on the FR ?

Does any have any experience comparing the sound of a NOS 3012R tonearm to one rebuilt by SME Tonearms in Canada or by Analog Tube Audio in Germany?

I'm questing for a 3012R but am confused about what condition the arm should be in.

Is the OEM wiring preferred or does it need replaced? If so who offers re-wiring that retains the OEM sound?

Any parts that need replaced due to age of the arm?

Are rebuilt or re-wired arms from companies referenced above not optimal because they have been rewired etc.?

What's the going rate these days?

Thx!

Best to contact ddk or 108CY for sourcing authentic 3012R. Don't hesitate to pay at premium for peace of mind.

Kindest regards,
Tang

I'm questing for a 3012R but am confused about what condition the arm should be in.

Is the OEM wiring preferred or does it need replaced? If so who offers re-wiring that retains the OEM sound?

Any parts that need replaced due to age of the arm?

Are rebuilt or re-wired arms from companies referenced above not optimal because they have been rewired etc.?

What's the going rate these days?

Thx!

$2500-$3000 USD. Do not re-wire....especially with silver wire unless you like coloration to your sound.

Hi Shakti, I have gathered that FR64s works well on many cartridges regardless of compliance. Whats your thought ? Which cartridges do you like on the FR ?

(sorry for off topic)
I like many Carts on FR64s, like Koetsu stone body, AT ART 7&9, Ikeda 9 , Air Tight and more

I am very curious to know why SME does not simply start to remake this arm. It seems so highly regarded. I know they made a modern version, but people don't seem to like it as much. Why do you think SME won't do it? Do they think it will reflect poorly on their current designs? I would think they would want to satisfy the market.

An earlier explanation was that there are simply too many out there on the used market. Yet, I've been looking and can't find any that are in excellent condition. I would think they could sell for $4K or so and as Tango says, buy new or NOS for piece of mind. When arms are not $10K+ and don't seem to perform as well, according to some, this would seem to be a simple solution. They could even update it slightly with some of the newer adjustments of the V series without changing the sound if those adjustments aren't connected to the signal path, like the VTA screws or possibly the HTA sled. It seems the critical thing is the removable headshell, the armtube material, the counterweight mechanism and the bearing.

I also think it was a major oversight to not design the turntables to fit the 3012R. I understand they wanted to sell the newer V design and its variants. Perhaps there is something about the sonic match between the tables and the 3012R which is not ideal. Has anyone tried a 3009 or 3010 on an SME table?

I already have 4. Since AF0 put the 3012R in the back, I have been getting offers for them here. I am more interested in Airtangent but not to the point I itch.

Tang :)

Today is first of May, should be easy to remember how many days the itch lasts

It will take a lot to cut out a board for the AS with an air tangent and you will lose the space for at least one additional arm. Ron looked at the Bergmann Odin and the space it costs, it allows only one other arm on the AS

We have just had the price go up from 2500 to 4000 over a few posts

The price of a used 3012R might be around $2,500. I am suggesting the price of a newly remade N3012R (N for new) built by SME today might be $4,000. I would pay more than $2,500 for a NOS 3012R if I could find one, but I don't seem to have an insider's track. I have asked to buy one for a project I am considering.

Reactions: bonzo75
It will take a lot to cut out a board for the AS with an air tangent and you will lose the space for at least one additional arm. Ron looked at the Bergmann Odin and the space it costs, it allows only one other arm on the AS
I could not erase my comment on Airtangent fast enough.

It depends on what are your intentions and knowledge on SME tonearms. The good news is that SME still sells SME3012R parts and the arm can always be rebuilt by some one with expertise - it is very simple and logic tonearm.

NOS go now for high prices - I sold a perfect one with all accessories, but used, for euro 1800 sometime ago. A few more to sell only after I manage to sell the EMT927!

it is not only the demand and prices for the SME 3012R increasing. I believe, it has started with the Fidelity Research FR66s, which is now over an above $5000 , with box well over $7000. In Germany the first FR64s was sold last month for 5000 eur as NOS in box. Have a look to FR 24 MKII, FR54 , SME 3010 or even SME 3009 first version. Since SAEC have launched their new Tonearm for 11000,- eur in Munich, even their former 308, 308L, 407/23 start with rising prices, not having spoken from their bigger arms.

it is not only the demand and prices for the SME 3012R increasing. I believe, it has started with the Fidelity Research FR66s, which is now over an above $5000 , with box well over $7000. In Germany the first FR64s was sold last month for 5000 eur as NOS in box. Have a look to FR 24 MKII, FR54 , SME 3010 or even SME 3009 first version. Since SAEC have launched their new Tonearm for 11000,- eur in Munich, even their former 308, 308L, 407/23 start with rising prices, not having spoken from their bigger arms.

Yes but FR 66s is also expensive because it is much lower in numbers. The number of SME 3012r and fr64s is higher

It depends on what are your intentions and knowledge on SME tonearms. The good news is that SME still sells SME3012R parts and the arm can always be rebuilt by some one with expertise - it is very simple and logic tonearm.

NOS go now for high prices - I sold a perfect one with all accessories, but used, for euro 1800 sometime ago. A few more to sell only after I manage to sell the EMT927!
I paid €3000 for mine on German ebay last year, but i’m an idiot some times:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing