Smooth musical cabling suggestion

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm looking to try new speaker cables and interconnects in my system because i find my Gryphon cabling too clear for my speakers and the treble tends to be fatigueing in the long run.
I need to try 100% copper cabling only and the ones that come to mind are Tellurium Q Statement and Audience Front Row.
I only need a set of speaker cables and one set of balanced interconnect.
Please let me know if you have suggestions so i can get a smoother sound thanks.
Before you change your cables, can I make a suggestion?
Are you using an aftermarket LPSU on your internet box?
I'm not sure what you're hearing but if you haven't done it, try a LPSU on your ISP box, turn off the wifi and it will take off any harshness or fatigue due to high frequencies.
If you haven't, let me know, I have a few suggestions and I can explain my setup, it really worked like a charm for me.

Reactions: Hifi man

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I'm not sure what you're hearing but if you haven't done it, try a LPSU on your ISP box, turn off the wifi and it will take off any harshness or fatigue due to high frequencies.
If you haven't, let me know, I have a few suggestions and I can explain my setup, it really worked like a charm for me.
What is a LPSU? Never heard that term used before for use with the ISP box. Does an aftermarket LPSU on the Internet box really reduce WiFi hash and harshness to the system if you are only using analog and no digital or streaming devices in a dedicated listening room with substantial sound abatement and thick walls That is in the basement and faraway from the ISP box?

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
What is a LPSU? Never heard that term used before for use with the ISP box. Does an aftermarket LPSU on the Internet box really reduce WiFi hash and harshness to the system if you are only using analog and no digital or streaming devices in a dedicated listening room with substantial sound abatement and thick walls That is in the basement and faraway from the ISP box?
A LPSU is a DC power supply that you use to replace the usual black wall wart.
I'm not sure I understand your question but in my case, I am streaming and it helped a great deal, and it is my understanding that Thieliste is also streaming.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Absolutely i use an Sbooster Mk2 to power my fiber optic internet box.
I also have a Farad Super 3 powering my Roon Rock NUC.
Everything is connected with good ethernet cables, no wifi at all except for my Ipad Mini which is my remote for Roon.
I'm going to demo Cardas Clear Reflection and Clear Beyond ICs and SCs.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Absolutely i use an Sbooster Mk2 to power my fiber optic internet box.
I also have a Farad Super 3 powering my Roon Rock NUC.
Everything is connected with good ethernet cables, no wifi at all except for my Ipad Mini which is my remote for Roon.
I'm going to demo Cardas Clear Reflection and Clear Beyond ICs and SCs.
Are you in France? Do you have an Orange box? If yes disable the wifi on it and use a different wifi router.
I'm using a different LPSU but just changing the DC cable going to the box made a big impact in removing some general fatigue.
It's now completely gone.
I also put isoacoustics below the power supplies and it also helped.

Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Are you in France? Do you have an Orange box? If yes disable the wifi on it and use a different wifi router.
I'm using a different LPSU but just changing the DC cable going to the box made a big impact in removing some general fatigue.
Yes i do have an Orange Box the latest one.
I will try disabling the wifi tomorrow see what happens.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've had Siltech speakers cables in the past, not a goot match for Thiel speakers too much glare in the treble.
I have many Audioquest Firebird PCs in my system but i don't know how good are the speaker cables and interconnects.

Just FYI, the Siltech cables aren't the cause of glare, they just won't hide it. Glare can be caused by a lot of different things, almost any part of the system can add something you might call glare, including the speakers themselves.

That said, if your goal is to improve your system, using clear cables that don't add too much warmth will allow you to more easily find the sources of any such issues, it will allow you to hear differences in changes you make more easily and clearly and the end result will be a better system if you put the effort in. OTOH if you're happy with the way things are and just want to find the best fit possible without changing anything else that is, of course, ok too. In which case the main tradeoff with cables is warmth vs clarity and sharpness of dynamics. Of course you can get cables that will compromise more or less, for example my silver/gold alloy is specifically intended to offer warmth without as much compromise as copper. You can also compromise by allowing the cable to produce fatiguing artifacts, for example using lower purity 4N silver vs 6N+ UPOCC silver, or by using a copper alloy connector vs pure copper or silver.

Of course many other aspects of design make a difference but warmth vs clarity is the largest subjective difference assuming an otherwise competent design. I wouldn't necessarily assume that though. There are cables on the market that have all sorts of inexcusable design issues like corrosion, the inability to be bent repeatedly without damage, or the use of fake or look-alike connectors. One brand mentioned right here in this thread uses XLR plugs that can be found on Amazon for around 1/10th the cost of real Furutech plugs, which they very closely resemble.

And Finally, my SCR-11 11g copper ribbon speaker cables may work very well for you, and they feature a low inductance that's impossible to achieve with round wire. :D

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Yes i do have an Orange Box the latest one.
I will try disabling the wifi tomorrow see what happens.
Let me tell you a story. A while ago, my brother in law came visiting for a few days. I normally use an apple airport for wifi.
He had connectivity issues for some reasons so I turned on the wifi on the orange box to see if it would make a difference. (it didn't, it was probably the VPN he uses for his university).
Then I kind of forgot about it. Every time I would sit down to listen, I really didn't like the sound. I didn't put 2 and 2 together and it's only until he left a few days later and I disconnected the wifi that the harshness disappeared.

Now just a few days ago, I ordered better DC cables for the LPSU for the box and the NAS.
You wouldn't believe the change it made. It's really that big.
If you're interested you can DM me and we can talk more about it.

Last, I can echo the last comment, I'm using Siltech cables on Magico Speakers so I can really notice all the changes, I don't find them bright, they're just revealing and transparent.
I'm very sensitive to noise or fatigue or harshness, and after experimenting, it's really all about noise removal / power quality and vibration control.
Every step I took in this way paid dividends for me.

I don't want to come off as trying to teach you about hifi, just sharing my experience since we have the same amplifier and I solved the problem you're having.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
See if you can get a home audition of Clarus Crimson speaker cables.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I also put isoacoustics below the power supplies and it also helped.
Disabling Wifi doesn't work for me because i cannot use my Ipad as a remote if i do so.
I don't have ethernet plugs in my house, everything is connected to the internet box via Wifi : office computers and TV.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Anyone tried Kimber KS 6063 speaker cables ?

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Disabling Wifi doesn't work for me because i cannot use my Ipad as a remote if i do so.
I don't have ethernet plugs in my house, everything is connected to the internet box via Wifi : office computers and TV.
Your only option then is to buy a separate wifi router and delegate the wifi to it. Keeping your box clean.
Maybe try with a cheap one on amazon that you can send back if it doesn't do anything to you.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
See if you can get a home audition of Clarus Crimson speaker cables.
Can you please describe them ?
Probably difficult to audition, i can't find a distributor near me.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Goertz MI3 copper foil speaker cables

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I am not saying you will always get the best performance using the same complete loom of cables from the same manufacturer. We all know, there’s always something out there that’s going to outperform whichever cable you use.

Looms? As one who has reviewed a variety of cables, I always found bringing home a new interconnect and inserting it into your existing loom as about as informative as putting a single Bridgestone Blizzak in with a set of Hakkapeliittas,

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Anyone tried Kimber KS 6063 speaker cables ?
excellent in the highs and in the midrange the timbres are unbelievably good, the finest nuances are represented, for the bass i would personally use a different cable because it is too thick. it's not precise enough for me, but that's personal opinion.
IMG20210309141016.jpg

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Can you please describe them ?
Probably difficult to audition, i can't find a distributor near me.
I would disregard them if you can't hear them in your system. I don't believe it absolutes and only recommended that you try to hear them in your own system.

For what it's worth...I've compared them to Shunyata Alpha and Sigma's, Audioquest ThunderBird and FireBird Zero, and Audience AU24 SX speaker cables. In my system I find the Clarus Crimson speaker cables to be better balanced, not favoring any frequency, the soundstage is as wide, but deeper than any cable that I've heard in my system. To my ears the Clarus is detailed, has a full sound, and deep/articulate bass.

Shunyata speaker cables don't work in my system...lack detail and images sound bloated

Audioquest FireBird speaker cables IMO are overpriced to my ears...in my system they are detailed, but they don't have the fullness of the Clarus or produce the depth of soundstage like the Clarus. Please note, I'm not talking night and day differences and with Audioquest speaker cables I'm including my own value judgement

Audience AU24 SX speaker cables are very good to my ears....detailed, open, and does everything very well. I kept my Clarus, because I already own them. Financially it didn't make sense to sell them for a sideways move.

Of course this is only my opinions based on what I've heard in my system.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
excellent in the highs and in the midrange the timbres are unbelievably good, the finest nuances are represented, for the bass i would personally use a different cable because it is too thick. it's not precise enough for me, but that's personal opinion.
View attachment 87320
Thanks for your input, very nice system by the way;)

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I would disregard them if you can't hear them in your system. I don't believe it absolutes and only recommended that you try to hear them in your own system.

For what it's worth...I've compared them to Shunyata Alpha and Sigma's, Audioquest ThunderBird and FireBird Zero, and Audience AU24 SX speaker cables. In my system I find the Clarus Crimson speaker cables to be better balanced, not favoring any frequency, the soundstage is as wide, but deeper than any cable that I've heard in my system. To my ears the Clarus is detailed, has a full sound, and deep/articulate bass.

Shunyata speaker cables don't work in my system...lack detail and images sound bloated

Audioquest FireBird speaker cables IMO are overpriced to my ears...in my system they are detailed, but they don't have the fullness of the Clarus or produce the depth of soundstage like the Clarus. Please note, I'm not talking night and day differences and with Audioquest speaker cables I'm including my own value judgement

Audience AU24 SX speaker cables are very good to my ears....detailed, open, and does everything very well. I kept my Clarus, because I already own them. Financially it didn't make sense to sell them for a sideways move.

Of course this is only my opinions based on what I've heard in my system.
Great feedback thanks, i talked to Joe from Clarus last night and he confirmed me that the closest distributor for me is in Poland and it would not be possible to borrow Clarus cables.
Audience would be a good option for my speakers but a dealer told me i would have a lack of bass on my Thiels.
I spoke to an ancient Thiel dealer who told me he was selling Cardas cables for Thiel speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing