Social Media and High End Audio

If you don't understand the point you are really missing the boat IMHO. I am a long time member over on Lansing Heritage. Over the years I have had listening sessions with several members. This lead to us both understanding each others posts much better when comparing our subjective impressions through the written word. It was definitely a beneficial and fun thing to do. Highly recommended!

Rob :)
Listening to other’s systems is one of life’s great joys. It’s been fun to hear and learn about Magico M3s, A5s, and Gryphon Kodos at my friends’ homes.

One of the bits of advice I give younger people is that “no one has everything figured out”. “Best to learn by experiencing a wide variety of viewpoints.”

In audio, that translates into experimenting and keeping an open mind. Don’t believe in audiophile ethernet cables or ethernet switches? Fine, but borrow some and see if you hear differences.

The original Rockport “truth” video has 4.9k views - that is not exactly blowing up the audio industry. Sorry YouTubers.

Maybe bc it’s all ado about nothing. The manufacturer (who has made speakers for decades, not months) had a screw up and it got fixed.

what’s more unusual is the owner switched to Magico which sounds entirely different.

Reactions: Lee
Reactions: Lee
The original Rockport “truth” video has 4.9k views - that is not exactly blowing up the audio industry. Sorry YouTubers.

Maybe bc it’s all ado about nothing. The manufacturer (who has made speakers for decades, not months) had a screw up and it got fixed.

what’s more unusual is the owner switched to Magico which sounds entirely different.

Keith, why do you say switching from Rockport to Magico is unusual? Is it usually the other way around if someone switches from one to the other?

Listening to other’s systems is one of life’s great joys. It’s been fun to hear and learn about Magico M3s, A5s, and Gryphon Kodos at my friends’ homes.

One of the bits of advice I give younger people is that “no one has everything figured out”. “Best to learn by experiencing a wide variety of viewpoints.”

In audio, that translates into experimenting and keeping an open mind. Don’t believe in audiophile ethernet cables or ethernet switches? Fine, but borrow some and see if you hear differences.

Great post, Lee. Yes, listening to other systems is fun and an important learning experience. Without regularly listening to friends' systems I would never have gotten to where I am now with my own system.

If you are working just on your own, it's easy to delude yourself and think at some point this sounds fantastic, when it really does not. Listening to other systems, and having others critically assessing yours, on a regular basis reveals what is possible and what you can strive for. And then you may actually arrive at a, for your taste, relatively fantastic sound, even though better is always possible and any sound, regardless at what level of quality, is always a compromise (for starters, any speaker position in a room, even that of the most expensive ones, is a compromise between competing parameters).

In my view, for a proper learning experience it is useful or even necessary to have a strong sense of your own listening priorities and what you want to achieve with your own system. Otherwise listening to other systems may be disorienting, leaving you waving in the wind by wanting it all. Again, everything is a compromise (also those other systems), and you need to find out which advances you can make in your own system based upon learning exposure to others, *without* sacrificing any of your own highly personal listening priorities that you should be firmly aware of, but with still allowing more compromises elsewhere.

And yes, you learn when you keep an open mind. Even though you think you are openminded, you may not really be, or not sufficiently. Speaking for myself, I have resisted some ideas about power, amplification and other things for a long time, until finally the evidence repeatedly heard in others' systems, or presented to me in my own system, broke down my resistance that had been based on faulty (technical or otherwise) thinking. My now more than a decade long strong, and I would contend, vital, interest in room acoustics started when I heard a friends' rather moderate but musical system after it had moved to another room where it just sounded so much better.

Another thing that I would suggest: It is good to listen to experts or perhaps even consult them in person for your setup and room, but never take an expert's opinion as the last word (every expert is biased with in some ways flawed opinions, that's human nature, and no one is a "god" no matter what their experience or credentials). Remain highly skeptical and keep experimenting and find out what best suits *you* and *your* individual perceptions and taste.

That I guess plays into what you said, Lee:
“no one has everything figured out”. “Best to learn by experiencing a wide variety of viewpoints.”

Listening to music is life for me . I do whole heartedly agree Lee and not to diminish your point but isn't variety what we live for. No one here , well maybe here , wants to eat the same thing for every meal . Since we all can tell that no system is a perfect replica of live music then all of the systems have flaws. or flavor, or compromise and experiencing different ones gives us knowledge and perspective. People who don't want to do this and talk as if they know everything and treat others with condescension ,just don't get it no matter how smart they think they are.
Learning to listen not just hear comes from these experiences whether live or from an audio system. Hearing does not require real focus or even paying attention, listening does and this is a skill that one learns and can practice.
If one pays attention one can see that say Wilson is different than Magico , or Magnepan is different than Martin Logan, Or Audio research is different from CH Precision and so on. These items sound different and work differently and respond differently to the gear they are used with and the room in which they abide.

On another subject the video posted was an attempt to start a conversation about the different parts of the audio Industry/hobby and get some intelligent dialogue from those in the different sectors on how perhaps it could work better and be improved. That didn't happen. My intent was not to start another pissing contest.

On another subject the video posted was an attempt to start a conversation about the different parts of the audio Industry/hobby and get some intelligent dialogue from those in the different sectors on how perhaps it could work better and be improved. That didn't happen. My intent was not to start another pissing contest.

Hi Elliot,

I think you needed to state the purpose of the posting at the beginning. I watched the video when you first posted but was confused as to what your intention was. I avoided commenting as I saw little point adding to the mess.

On Jay's video, I think he stated things that we are all aware of, but there was a lot of Naivety in thinking that you can stop/change human behaviour - there are always going to be people who will take advantage of others for their own self interest.

I did like that he raised the issue of negative reviews. It has always fascinated me how car reviewing differs from hi-fi reviewing. Car reviewers will generally agree on a cars performance as there is a degree of objectivity. However in hi-fi reviewing there is not always agreement and a much greater degree of subjectivity. For example one reviewer may place importance on dynamics or on rhythm and timing, whilst another may care much more about detail, tonality or soundstage. Manufacturers/distributors may feel very aggrieved if their prized device is not well received by a reviewer which I think influences reviewers to hold back somewhat on the negatives. I have had private conversations with some reviewers where they shared their dissatisfaction on review products that was not included in the published review.

On a lighter note. If you have Netflix and want to watch the ultimate statement on the influence of social / televised media, check out Dark Mirror / Season One / Episode One / The Inauguration. Too funny and so true. Each episode is independant (no need to watch previous to follow story) and the remainder of the series is well worth a watch.

Last edited:
Hi Elliot,

I think you needed to state the purpose of the posting at the beginning. I watched the video when you first posted but was confused as to what your intention was. I avoided commenting as I saw little point adding to the mess.

On Jay's video, I think he stated things that we are all aware of, but there was a lot of Naivety in thinking that you can stop/change human behaviour - there are always going to be people who will take advantage of others for their own self interest.

I did like that he raised the issue of negative reviews. It has always fascinated me how car reviewing differs from hi-fi reviewing. Car reviewers will generally agree on a cars performance as there is a degree of objectivity. However in hi-fi reviewing there is not always agreement and a much greater degree of subjectivity. For example one reviewer may place importance on dynamics or on rhythm and timing, whilst another may care much more about detail, tonality or soundstage. Manufacturers/distributors may feel very aggrieved if their prized device is not well received by a reviewer which I think influences reviewers to hold back somewhat on the negatives. I have had private conversations with some reviewers where they shared their dissatisfaction on review products that was not included in the published review.
I don't want to be insulting but I was not interested in my point of view but rather what others thought. I thought that with the diverse group here on every side of the Industry that we could get some intelligent dialogue. I was wrong. I did not want to force this discussion in one way or the other. Jays naivety is certainly not describing everyone here trust that.
The industry/hobby - which depends on where you sit- has lots of issues. From the consumer side, the dealer side, the press side and the manufacturing/distributing side. The fact that most don't understand fully how it works and where it fails present the purpose of my post.
The information path is closed and IMO most companies do a very poor job of disseminating information. The lack of training on all sides and in the end the inability to deliver quality consistent results all are big issues. I can list another dozen or more but for now it will just foster more arguments. IMO most, not all, are left searching for mysteries without any clues ) Peter Green.
The reasons for this I have my theories and I am sure others have theirs I am part of the Industry and others aren't. I had a discussion with my client yesterday who is a Doctor, a successful Doctor, a very Smart man IMO, he is very well read, very curious and of course very opinionated. I was very interested in his comments that his clients now come to him quoting the internet and telling him what their problems are and the suggested diagnosis and course of treatment. MY friend who runs a famous high end restaurant that has tons of world class reviews tells me people tell him how to cook the food all the time and what he is doing wrong. I guess that my hope of an intelligent dialogue was a pipe dream.
The site and its decent into verbal chaos is quite tedious and really unproductive. I hoped to continue learning here not having to defend everything when for the most part I am here to learn, suggest, educate a little and enjoy. I tell me friends all the time when to comes to high end audio "EVERYONE KNOWS MORE THAN ME"

It was not necessary to post my opinion as that I am already familiar with.

The next time I watch a video from Jay.....and
each time he says "you guys", would be proper English.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75
The next time I watch a video from Jay.....and
each time he says "you guys", would be proper English.
I guarantee his French is much better than yours, and his English is not to shabby ! ;)

Reactions: EBITDAC
Next time I'll be watching a video from Jay, I'll have a bottle of tequila next to me and each time he will be saying "you guys", I'll take a shot. By the end of the video, I am pretty sure that my listening senses will have improved by a wide margin thanks to Jay...
Does there have to be a next time ? :rolleyes:

If we can stop the choosing sides/wars/etc., maybe we could also then have a more cordial hobby where the relationships built would have a positive effect on the whole hobby. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but it'd be great if it were so.
Hi Pokey,

Wish that was possible but audio, like most hobbies / beliefs in the world today, has become confrontational and tribal. I use to follow and be interested in many things (including the forbidden topics on this forum) but I am tired of the hatred, the disrespect and the collective inability to try to understand and respect different perspectives.

This forum does occasionally dip its toes into the poisonous abyss but, for the most part, is acceptable in that regard. Most adults act like adults and avoid the communication pitfalls so prevalent in our world today.

… Most adults act like adults and avoid the communication pitfalls so prevalent in our world today.
No wonder I’m always getting in trouble. My wife says I’m like a 6 year old in a man’s body. I told her it was my goal in life: “what do you want to be when you grow up?” — “six years old!”

Plus, if you’ve not grown up by 65 - you don’t have to!

:p

(...) On another subject the video posted was an attempt to start a conversation about the different parts of the audio Industry/hobby and get some intelligent dialogue from those in the different sectors on how perhaps it could work better and be improved. That didn't happen. My intent was not to start another pissing contest.

It probably shows that such way of starting a conversation is a failure. We had interesting talks about controversy subjects when people stick to their own opinions and debate opinions of active posters or quote writers.

IMO starting such debate with a video entitled "What is wrong ... " surely attracts fight.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing