Soon to come, hORNS Universum mk4!

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
thanks guys!
you helped me a lot... so thanks again.
ked, the white color is more perl looking then actually white,
it called - Lamborghini white baloon LM224.009
with the lightning and color scheme on my Iphone11pro it looks more gold or silver like,
but its a glossy perl.

regarding the twiking, i played with some of them a bit, but im trying to get everthing loose, and after break in time i will address it again for fine tuning.
for amplifications rolling, i have a few in line to try with it, but my 120W a side truly bringing life with it, so im very happy with them
im thinking about SET 211 based or 845 for a more big and lush presentation.
but i will have the 300b YAMAMOTO coming in a week for a session, so lets see what he will done with the UNIs.

"Christoph - Can you take some pics from the pots to adjust the volume levels on the x-over?"
do you mean you want to see a pictures how he made the pots on the mk4?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The 300b won't work without biamp.

For 300b you will need more like an Allnic 300b of 50 watts.

211 the normal 20 watts or so don't work that well.

We normally prefer it best with big ming Da which is 80 watts, but I have seen it needs 40ish, sometimes less if there is more drive like with silvercore 833c. The kronzilla should work but I never heard it with it. Thoress hybrids work too, and lamm shall as well

Reactions: gian60

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
"Christoph - Can you take some pics from the pots to adjust the volume levels on the x-over?"
do you mean you want to see a pictures how he made the pots on the mk4?

Exactly.
That would be nice :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The 300b won't work without biamp.

For 300b you will need more like an Allnic 300b of 50 watts.

211 the normal 20 watts or so don't work that well.

We normally prefer it best with big ming Da which is 80 watts, but I have seen it needs 40ish, sometimes less if there is more drive like with silvercore 833c. The kronzilla should work but I never heard it with it. Thoress hybrids work too, and lamm shall as well

The push pull EL84 will work very well

Reactions: shakti and gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i tried EL84 pp and didn't like it as my own KT120... it was close and not so much resolution as i like it to be.
it was lovely, but not as much as i was thought it will be.

You will have to biamp with it. Use two. Are you referring to the mycube audio

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
You will have to biamp with it. Use two. Are you referring to the mycube audio
The name of the company is MySound, the amps name is The Cube.

Attachments

• D9447CF5-393F-46CB-A460-C2656CAC0BE0.jpeg
    D9447CF5-393F-46CB-A460-C2656CAC0BE0.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 46

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Aviad once you know the right value on the pot with the required amps, you can replace them with a better quality resistor

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
December 2018.

Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
so, after a few months of waiting patiently its finally here.
its been playing almost non stop for 3-4 days now, with some fine tuning here in there during those hours.
every mid and twitter has their own Pot for gain, you can change also the angle of the drivers to adapt it to your listening position and length from the speakers.
for now im using my "Old" tube amps set,
its a custom made two monoblocks with 4xkt120 a side, and a 6sn7 based preamp. they puts 120W a side but played so wonderfully and smooth.
maybe in the future i will try some single ended stuff and others amps just for reference and trials till something will beat my own set.

i am very happy with my decision and wish to thanks again to Christoph and Ked for their help and inputs.

(my system on the racks are changing this days.. a new DAC and Turntable will be up in a few weeks... so it looks a bit "empty" there..)
View attachment 67040

View attachment 67039
Lovely. I could possibly get away with these horns as they don't look like Breast Pumps!

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Congrats on the new speakers. They look great. As a multiway horn user, and as someone who got his horns manufactured by the same guys, I know the quality of their workmanship. I have gone a different way and just bought individual horns from them though.

I would suggest (in time) to check the attenuators. I have used several and found out some are clearly better than others. On my own system I use fostex r100t attenuators. The ones here seems to be generic L-Pad attenuators and I am sure they are doing what they are supposed to do and the designer has made trials ande decided on those.

Still, commercial manufacturers generally go for the ones like this one here; https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/elec...t-52h-for-constant-impedance-mono-p-5299.html as they sound close and are 1/10th of the cost of ones like the fostex I use.

Once everything is settled in, and you are enjoying your system, looking for ways to better the sound, you can make trials with better quality attenuators and enjoy a nice upgrade. I would suggest either fostex r100t or attenuators from intactaudio (half of emia) when you do so.

Have a great time enjoying your beautiful setup.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
those L-pads sounds crappy!
the best is to find lvl and solder in Duelund silver Cast resistors or at least buy a Seiden switch and the necessary Cast values to get 2-3 steps which in most cases will do
the two to the left make me able to adjust my TAD TD-2002 above 6K level by approx 1,5db

CAST i filter.jpg

Last edited:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
those L-pads sounds crappy!
the best is to find lvl and solder in Duelund silver Cast resistors or at least buy a Seiden switch and the necessary Cast values to get 2-3 steps which in most cases will do
the two to the left adjust my TAD TD-2002 above 6K level by approx 1,5db

View attachment 67117

well, crappy is a strong term to use but looking at those speakers, they seem to be the low point and the place to start if one decides to do an upgrade.

The fostex r100t is not crappy, as well the intactaudio speakerformers... I have gone the same route with you Leif on my upper mids and trebles but for my mids, I have use the fostex r100t attenuators.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing