Speaker Platforms

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Need some input: Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20's with REL Carbon Special Six Pack Array. Large room, 30' X 26' X 26'H, A Frame Log Home with pine floors. I'm using Isoacoustics Gaia 1 on the Outriggers of the Pearls. Everything is sounding great. Someone gave me some beautiful 100 year old 3" thick red oak. The six pack array stands around 9 inches higher than the Pearls. My idea (Because I am insane) is to make two 3" thick platforms to go under the Pearls with the Gaia 1. The 3" platforms will be around 20" X 20". I'll have to plane and use a joiner to get everything square. Obviously this will raise the Pearls closer in Height to the RELS. I will also put some dense foam under the platform. I'm curious if I might gain some sonic advantage with the extra height and isolation. I did mention it sounds pretty fantastic now, just wondering if I can pull a little more out?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...hey John, how is the tweeter alignment level with your ears now, versus +3 inches? In my case, footers (Gaias) under my speakers gave better alignment (and sound). I used one of those "measuring lasers" to check the height. Hope all good...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hi Mark, hope all is well with you. The tweeter now is slightly below ear level, while in leather recliner, (reclined). Which is typically the case. A lot of the time I'm at the bar which is somewhat behind my chair and from that position it is below ear level right around 3". I've been using the Gaia's from day one and I also found the sound much better than without. Not a huge effort to make the platforms, a friend has a planer and joiner. Glue, sand, and finish. BTW this oak is so beautiful! When sanded and finished the grain will really show. Not a whole lot would be exposed but really pretty wood...

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

John T

Feb 15, 2022
@MarkusBarkus: My dyslexia is pathetic! Typical delayed reaction. When reclined now the tweeter is about 1" ABOVE ear level. So the platform will bring it up further while reclined....

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
My vertical position relative to the tweeters varies too. Usually, I just kick-up my feet, and that's about perfect. But "advanced" listening, which may have involved a beverage, has me fully kicked-out and back. What I may theoretically lose in position I more than make up for with comfort and total relaxation!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing