Spectral-Is This As Good As It Gets

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The last time T.H.E. Show made a stop in San Francisco (8-9 years ago) I went for the weeknd and I can remember vivdly going back many times each day to hear what I felt was one of the best rooms at the event, specifically the Wilson WP (can't remember if it was 7's or 8's) driven by all Spectral components. It was fast, awesome sound with mind boggling bass. In all honesty if I were to think back to when I owned my WP 6's which was driven by Krell 750 MCX's and sounded pretty darn good, the Spectral sounded that much better

I also remember at the time the issue of having to use MIT interconnects for fear of blowing a driver due to the huge bandwidth on the Spectral. Do I understand that nowadays one doesn't need to use MIT interconnects with Spectral gear

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Still do (interconnects and speaker cables), except for some less-stunning Universal 'S' versions (although some *new* 'S' versions like the 200S still do - go figure). The amps do not incorporate an input choke or output inductor, thus the need for external filters. The filters are optimized for the length purchased - thus, a complete system design end to end. Not to many peoples' liking, but it is what it is. In the end, the results speak for themselves. BTW, there are other manufacturers that recommend (not actually require) specific cables, like FM Acoustics - see http://www.fmacoustics.com/pdf/audiophilpoweramp.pdf. In the end, any worthy component has exactly one best-match cable which can be easily spec'ed. On the other hand, most consumers like to play with cables and tweak - nothing wrong with that approach either, just not exactly optimal.

Steve Williams

Still do (interconnects and speaker cables), except for some less-stunning Universal 'S' versions (although some *new* 'S' versions like the 200S still do - go figure). The amps do not incorporate an input choke or output inductor, thus the need for external filters. The filters are optimized for the length purchased - thus, a complete system design end to end. Not to many peoples' liking, but it is what it is. In the end, the results speak for themselves. BTW, there are other manufacturers that recommend (not actually require) specific cables, like FM Acoustics - see http://www.fmacoustics.com/pdf/audiophilpoweramp.pdf. In the end, any worthy component has exactly one best-match cable which can be easily spec'ed. On the other hand, most consumers like to play with cables and tweak - nothing wrong with that approach either, just not exactly optimal.

so if something blows and MIT IC's are not used the warranty is void??

welcome to the Forum BTW

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes. The manual covers it, even the sticker on the plastic wrap that the amps come in. That and the requirement for use of their own preamps.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If the output filter is removed, the amp can oscillate damaging itself and speakers. So I am not surprised that they would have strict guidelines for what goes outside of the amp.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Quite true. I have tried other cables with an old Spectral amp I had, and indeed it ran quite hotter. This could be due to oscillation, amplification of ultra high frequency noise, or both.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
The last time T.H.E. Show made a stop in San Francisco (8-9 years ago) I went for the weeknd and I can remember vivdly going back many times each day to hear what I felt was one of the best rooms at the event, specifically the Wilson WP (can't remember if it was 7's or 8's) driven by all Spectral components. It was fast, awesome sound with mind boggling bass. In all honesty if I were to think back to when I owned my WP 6's which was driven by Krell 750 MCX's and sounded pretty darn good, the Spectral sounded that much better
If you're referencing the same Show I went to in S.F. (which also had the Avantgarde room at jet airplane volume levels), that was Music Lovers set up with Spectral driving WP7s.

Steve Williams

If you're referencing the same Show I went to in S.F. (which also had the Avantgarde room at jet airplane volume levels), that was Music Lovers set up with Spectral driving WP7s.

That was the show. In fact my award for best in show was the Avantgarde/BAT room

I did know it was Music Lover's room but you know how I feel about them

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing