SPU upgrade

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
Any thoughts on the Hana Red?

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
It’s a modern cartridge with a microline stylus, your brief was for something less resolving.

In that vein:
The other living fossil, the Denon 103 might make a good stand in while the SPU is rebuilt and has the advavtage of being relatively cheap. High coil resistance though so careful with the SUT.

The Shelter 301 II also comes with a conical stylus if you want to spend more, I’ve never heard a Shelter. I’ve read that they’re not too demanding of the tonearm.

The EMTs seem the closest to the SPU concept but different, if you can get one to suit your phono stage/SUT combination.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
I can recommend Sculpture A's A.3 cartridges, which are heavily reworked DL-103s, where only the magnetic circuit is retained. These cartridges have the same sort of musical exuberance as good SPUs but with modern Ogura tips and boron cantilevers they offer real delicacy too, as well as good tracking performance. My only criticism is the lack of stylus guard, but I am assured that is being addressed.

More details here https://anamightysound.com/cat/cartridges/sculpture-a/

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
It’s a modern cartridge with a microline stylus, your brief was for something less resolving.

In that vein:
The other living fossil, the Denon 103 might make a good stand in while the SPU is rebuilt and has the advavtage of being relatively cheap. High coil resistance though so careful with the SUT.

The Shelter 301 II also comes with a conical stylus if you want to spend more, I’ve never heard a Shelter. I’ve read that they’re not too demanding of the tonearm.

The EMTs seem the closest to the SPU concept but different, if you can get one to suit your phono stage/SUT combination.
That's what I guessed about the Hana. Interesting you mention the Denon 103 -- I used one with a Midas body before the SPU Synergy. And I just sent it out to get retipped. I can go with a hyperelliptical which I understand would be related to the Synergy or try a line contact with a boron cantilever. I'm leaning to the line contact in the spirit of trying something in that spectrum. I'm thinking it might give me a better sense of an alternative to the SPUs. Or maybe I'll like it enough that it won't be necessary.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
IMHO/IME it’s best to get a cartridge with spherical stylus and aluminum or aluminum/magnesium cantilever for vintage sound. and for modern sound or overall best sound micro ridge/super fine line or similarly cut modern stylus with boron cantilever. there is something I really like about cartridges with boron cantilever

Reactions: Petrat

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
I used a Dynavector 17D3 while my Royal N was away for a rebuild and found I was really missing the SPU, even though some would have that it’s not a proper one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing