Stahl-Tek Vekian Opus DAC - Anyone heard it?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Hi THF. i am still waiting to audition the Stahl-Tek Opus. I have heard from 3 people it is superior to the Neodio Transport/DAC combination. I have heard from only 1 person who felt there was something superior...Prawax on Audiogon felt he preferred his Concert Fidelity DAC though he did say he did not compare the 2 units in the same system...so it was only 'initial impressions'.

I have now spoken with 3 Editors/Writers whom i respect who have said the Zanden remains their favorite redbook digital of all. So for me, it remains these 2 as the ones i focus on...i either keep Zanden or go with Stahl-Tek Opus. Stay tuned...and let me know if you end up hearing or speaking with any one who has heard it!
Many thanks, Lloyd, for your response.
How about the burmester 069? Any comparison with this player?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Many thanks, Lloyd, for your response.
How about the burmester 069? Any comparison with this player?

Hi...i have only read good things about the Burmester 069 but no comparisons. Apparently very good tonality, sweet and all the detail one would come to expect from a company that builds SOTA SS equipment. Let us know if you hear it!

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Hi...i have only read good things about the Burmester 069 but no comparisons. Apparently very good tonality, sweet and all the detail one would come to expect from a company that builds SOTA SS equipment. Let us know if you hear it!

I've not heard the 069 but have heard the 089 and it's an excellent player. I remembered someone (I think it's Jim) mentioning that it's about 85% of the 069. If that's true then the 069 must be one hell of a player! Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to compare all these great palyers (the 069, Vekian Opus, Zanden, Neodio, etc.)
From what I've read about your Zanden, I probably won't bother with another upgrade. It certainly belongs to the top 5 DACs currently. Even if the Opus were to be better, it's probably marginal.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am under the impression the the Burmester 111 has a reference preamp, reference dac (069 class) and reference media player all in one.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
I am under the impression the the Burmester 111 has a reference preamp, reference dac (069 class) and reference media player all in one.

Yes, Joe. The 111 seems like a better value but purely as a CD player, the 069 is probably better and it makes sense as it is a dedicated reference player.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY

The 111 doesn't have a disc drive nor a separate power supply. As Lloyd has a reference preamp already, I think that some of the functionalities of the 111 may be redundant. The "cost" of the media server, in general, tends to be overpriced also. The 069 has digital inputs, so you can hook a Mac mini through a USB to SPDIF interface. If I'm not wrong, it has also analog inputs (with no A/D conversion :)) and analog volume control, but, again, this function may not be relevant to Lloyd.

Anyway, one thing nobody suggested so far is to partner the Zanden (restricted to RedBook standard) to a hi-rez DAC (possibly not so pricey as the Stahl-Tek). BADA? Naim? In the case of a new love for hi-rez digital, Lloyd may consider a new superDAC, otherwise he may stay on his Zanden :)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The 111 doesn't have a disc drive nor a separate power supply. As Lloyd has a reference preamp already, I think that some of the functionalities of the 111 may be redundant. The "cost" of the media server, in general, tends to be overpriced also. The 069 has digital inputs, so you can hook a Mac mini through a USB to SPDIF interface. If I'm not wrong, it has also analog inputs (with no A/D conversion :)) and analog volume control, but, again, this function may not be relevant to Lloyd.

Anyway, one thing nobody suggested so far is to partner the Zanden (restricted to RedBook standard) to a hi-rez DAC (possibly not so pricey as the Stahl-Tek). BADA? Naim? In the case of a new love for hi-rez digital, Lloyd may consider a new superDAC, otherwise he may stay on his Zanden :)

Hi Doc,

While it's true about the external PS, the 111 does indeed have a slot load cd player/drive. Mainly for ripping but playback as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hi Docvale,

thanks for that...the Zanden that i have is a DAC...so no way to partner it with another DAC. I am either keeping the Zanden DAC and getting the matching Zanden Transport...which i have heard from well over a dozen people is magic...or i am trading the Zanden DAC in for a Stahl-Tek DAC (which is also hi-res) and i'll deal with trasport separately.

I just got a copy of the 10-page review of the Zanden from Roy Gregory where he makes some interesting comparisons which i have not been able to make myself...to both digital and to analogue. He mentions the Blue Pearl Gem turntable ($80k??) to which he found the Zanden compared favorably. That was quite a surprise to me not having spent enough time with analogue to make such a comparison. i only know Zanden vs other digital gear.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've not heard the 069 but have heard the 089 and it's an excellent player. I remembered someone (I think it's Jim) mentioning that it's about 85% of the 069. If that's true then the 069 must be one hell of a player! Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to compare all these great palyers (the 069, Vekian Opus, Zanden, Neodio, etc.)
From what I've read about your Zanden, I probably won't bother with another upgrade. It's certainly belongs to the top 5 DACs currently. Even if the Opus were to be better, it's probably marginal.

I am in japan for vacation in Sept and will likely stop by Zanden in Osaka...my fiancee is the best. ;) anyway, having spoken with 3 reviewers...3 of them still say the Zanden is their favorite redbook player of all time. I know 2 more who actually bought the thing back when they first came out. And their comments are very, very similar...not the greatest in resolution, bass attack, or any particular audiophile element...exceptional in all areas but not the greatest. But where they felt it stood by itself is it was the only digital to make them stop caring about format...lp, cd, sacd, dvd-a...and they just started listening to more and more cds...which they have all struggled to figure out exactly why...except that the balance of the 4-box unit is such that it plays music, not sound reproduction. In all the reviews i've read, Zanden is one of the few that is constantly compared [generally favorably] with high end vinyl.

Roy Gregory compared it to the Blue Pearl Gem turntable...i think Blue Pearls are in the Continuum, Rockport price range ($80K??)...i do not know if it is just overpriced, or really good...but i do respect Roy Gregory a lot.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Hi Docvale,

thanks for that...the Zanden that i have is a DAC...so no way to partner it with another DAC. I am either keeping the Zanden DAC and getting the matching Zanden Transport...which i have heard from well over a dozen people is magic...or i am trading the Zanden DAC in for a Stahl-Tek DAC (which is also hi-res) and i'll deal with trasport separately.

I just got a copy of the 10-page review of the Zanden from Roy Gregory where he makes some interesting comparisons which i have not been able to make myself...to both digital and to analogue. He mentions the Blue Pearl Gem turntable ($80k??) to which he found the Zanden compared favorably. That was quite a surprise to me not having spent enough time with analogue to make such a comparison. i only know Zanden vs other digital gear.

Lloyd, mine was just a point for you to understand if the hitch you're having to substitute your Zanden is due to the curiosity to play with hi-rez or, instead, the need to improve the overall playback. In the former case, and additional (not super-expensive) DAC may do the job for hi-rez only, and you may have the "best" of both worlds.

Anyway, my understanding is that you're truly in love with your current DAC. Despite, according to your reports, not perfect, I wouldn't change it :)
It's like being a plastic surgeon and receiving in your office Charlize Theron asking for breast implants: truth is Charlize Theron has small breast, but would you dare to break the perfect balance of her beauty?? ;)

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
The Burmester 111 should be arriving at my dealer's showroom over the next couple of days and I'll see if it's as good as reported.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, mine was just a point for you to understand if the hitch you're having to substitute your Zanden is due to the curiosity to play with hi-rez or, instead, the need to improve the overall playback. In the former case, and additional (not super-expensive) DAC may do the job for hi-rez only, and you may have the "best" of both worlds.

Anyway, my understanding is that you're truly in love with your current DAC. Despite, according to your reports, not perfect, I wouldn't change it :)
It's like being a plastic surgeon and receiving in your office Charlize Theron asking for breast implants: truth is Charlize Theron has small breast, but would you dare to break the perfect balance of her beauty?? ;)

Thanks for that...i have heard very good things about the Rowland Aeris. That said, hi-res is a very nice to have...but i would not sacrifice redbook to get it, as 99% of my collection is RBCD. So i think your point is a good one...stick with what i like for RBCD and let hi-res be a separate issue.

I just spoke with Stahl-Tek, btw, and they are working on a SOTA Server for next year...a true no holds barred music server for audiophiles.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I am now planning on meeting with Yamada San of Zanden Audio in Osaka in September...i am looking forward to visiting Zanden. I plan on speaking with him about upgrades to my current DAC, possibly getting a transport, and of course any possible 'tweaks' he might make. I have heard he has done some in the past.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I am now planning on meeting with Yamada San of Zanden Audio in Osaka in September...i am looking forward to visiting Zanden. I plan on speaking with him about upgrades to my current DAC, possibly getting a transport, and of course any possible 'tweaks' he might make. I have heard he has done some in the past.
Hello Loydelee, I am new to this forum but far from a greenhorn as far as music reproduction is concerned. I noticed on different websites that you are interested in equipment that I am using such as the Zanden combo, Genesis 1.1 loudspeakers (the xovers of my Genesis system have been completely worked over with the very impressive Duelund caps (the ones that are being used in the Tidal 'silver' Sunray loudspeakers as well) and the Scarlatti 4 cd-stack. About the latter: when this combo is set up rightly, you will be amazed about the musicality of this player in my Genesis system. if you are interested you can contact me as I live in Europe, not far from the UK. But I am willing to contact you as well. Best regards

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011

Hi Lloyd,

I just stumbled across this thread. If you like the Zanden DAC don't ever think about going the Stahl-Tek route. Have you heard the Zanden combination? The magic lies with the transport, its clocking scheme and the I2S interface. Without the transport you have just got a little teaser of what the combination can do. If Yamada San has tricks up his sleave I would be interested in be part of a joint optimization.

If you are looking for an alternative DAC, I would go for the GTE Audio Trinity. Its superior DAC solution in combination with no digital filter (like the Zanden DAC) makes it the best DAC on the market - although at a price.

If you are looking for an integrered player my money would be on the Soulution 745 which shocked me the first time I heard it - and you get SACD playback as a cherry on top.

Happy hunting,
Roysen

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello Loydelee, I am new to this forum but far from a greenhorn as far as music reproduction is concerned. I noticed on different websites that you are interested in equipment that I am using such as the Zanden combo, Genesis 1.1 loudspeakers (the xovers of my Genesis system have been completely worked over with the very impressive Duelund caps (the ones that are being used in the Tidal 'silver' Sunray loudspeakers as well) and the Scarlatti 4 cd-stack. About the latter: when this combo is set up rightly, you will be amazed about the musicality of this player in my Genesis system. if you are interested you can contact me as I live in Europe, not far from the UK. But I am willing to contact you as well. Best regards

Audiocrack, Thank you! That is very kind and i might just take you up on that! Much closer than flying to Texas and then to Japan! I will pm you.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

I just stumbled across this thread. If you like the Zanden DAC don't ever think about going the Stahl-Tek route. Have you heard the Zanden combination? The magic lies with the transport, its clocking scheme and the I2S interface. Without the transport you have just got a little teaser of what the combination can do. If Yamada San has tricks up his sleave I would be interested in be part of a joint optimization.

If you are looking for an alternative DAC, I would go for the GTE Audio Trinity. Its superior DAC solution in combination with no digital filter (like the Zanden DAC) makes it the best DAC on the market - although at a price.

If you are looking for an integrered player my money would be on the Soulution 745 which shocked me the first time I heard it - and you get SACD playback as a cherry on top.

Happy hunting,
Roysen

Roysen, Thank you!!! You have always been good enough to take the time to provide your advice based on your immense experience. I appreciate it. I will let you know what Yamada San says...if there are things to be done that are 'special', i will email you and perhaps we can speak with him together. I will look into the GTE Audio Trinity...i have heard good things about it, and will try to do some research this weekend. As for Soulution...yes, i have heard extremely good things about Soulution digital...but as you have said, if i already own the Zanden DAC and love it in my system...i prefer to focus on Zanden Transport and speaking with Yamada San. It is magic in my system, and that is difficult to reproduce when 'swapping components'.

Thank you again for all your advice. Enjoy your sensational system(s)!

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Trinity (GTE) will launch a cheaper dac in the near future.
It will use 8 R2R converters pr channel instead of 16 in the expensive version.

I've heard the Trinity dac, one of the best sounding on the market.

Shahl-Tek Opus can't compete.
Opus and Vekian are just another delta-sigma based dacs on the market - all of them has the same type of sound.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wizard...thanks! I am doing more 'homework' on the GTE as i read through your posts and Roysens. Very very interesting. Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing