State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

...The recording has information. We want our systems to retrieve it. I want my system to retrieve as much of it as possible, presented as naturally as possible. More information is very simply more information. In this case, it tells us more of what is captured on the recording and it makes the listening experience more like what we hear live...
The problem with this (which has been expounded on and explained extensively) is that so very few recordings actually represent what the home listener might have had the chance to hear live, unless you happened to be at the recording session, listening at the microphone location. Otherwise, the recording is of an event for which one has no frame of reference; we have to make assumptions in our minds about the recording and how it might relate to some of our actual experiences. Some of us who make or have made our own recordings can perhaps do this better than others, but it still depends on the memory of an event (with all of the known shortcomings in memory retrieval).

The problem with this (which has been expounded on and explained extensively) is that so very few recordings actually represent what the home listener might have had the chance to hear live, unless you happened to be at the recording session, listening at the microphone location. Otherwise, the recording is of an event for which one has no frame of reference; we have to make assumptions in our minds about the recording and how it might relate to some of our actual experiences. Some of us who make or have made our own recordings can perhaps do this better than others, but it still depends on the memory of an event (with all of the known shortcomings in memory retrieval).

You and microstrip should get together to discuss all the problems we have in stereo reproduction. I was answering a question from Al M about what I mean by “resolving” and how it relates to “information“. You quoted a very vital part of my comment. Here it is again:

“In this case, it tells us more of what is captured on the recording and it makes the listening experience more like what we hear live...”

I am interested in an experience at home which reminds me of what I have when listening to live music. No suggestion on my part that the experience will be the same. It’s a humble goal. It is a personal thing, and I am the judge. Other people can make their own goal and assess for themselves how successful they are.

Last edited:
...It is a personal thing, and I am the judge. Other people can make their own goal and assess for themselves how successful they are...
I think this is the key to why there is so much disagreement about what makes a successful home audio system. Despite @morricab's hypothesis that we all perceive audio in the same way (not entirely inconsistent with your comment I excerpted), we don't all interpret our perceptions in the same way.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Al M.
It is not a miniscule fringe we are talking about Micro...tube amps, for example, are everywhere in high end audio and are most definitely a vintage technology even if the parts used today are mostly modern.

The parts that made the tube amplifiers interesting again are just new technology. It is the point that was being debated. Although a few people like amplifiers with old leaky capacitors and noisy resistors they are a minority.

Aries Cerat claims that they include a lot of innovative technology in their amplifiers. Should we assume they are unique?

The debate is real and serious about the sound quality. Horns are also making a resurgence after decades of being a Japanese curiosity (same with SET amps funny enough...damn those guys have taste!). Modern advances in horn design thanks to computer modelling could be considered a new innovation, IMO. Does it lead to better sound from horn speakers? IMO, yes but with caveats...all things are not equal and the work needed to get horns to play well together is probably a bigger limiting factor than the horn itself.
I would also argue that compression drivers, although clearly a vintage design (WE555 anyone?) can still be SOTA in terms of HF or even midrange reproduction. There are some advances here though as well such as co-axial designs and this new one from Celestion that covers a very wide range with a funky annular diaphragm. However, are these really better sounding than old WE, RCA, Altec or JBL compression drivers using Alnico magnets and aluminum or bakelite (or whatever they used before advanced polymers) diaphragms? Not everyone agrees on this and after hearing how some of those old drivers in old horns sound, I am not sure either...they can sound very realistic in a non-vintage, non-nostalgic way.

Although interesting, horns are a minority and so, not relevant to this general issue.

AGain, we see you struggle to sell your ML3s (I still think you should just get a speaker that they like and be happy) and Lamm I would say is probably at least a 2nd tier brand if not top tier (in Lee's way of defining...not really sound quality) and I can get Pass, Audio Research , DCS etc. etc. for all VERY good prices if I want... their resale is not really better I think... It might be easier to shift them to someone who only knows about names though, this I can concede.

The reality is that some brands always find a buyer and others are almost impossible to sell. Unless we do a proper research - such as paying for information of prices of sold units or researching concluded sales we can't get an idea of the real used value. Or if we are sellers.
Concerning the ML3 I am selfish - I also want a speaker I like. And preferably something that finds a buyer if I do not like it in the long term ... ;)

Self-delusion is a powerful force not to be underestimated...as long as a product has a stamp of approval from the establishment it can do just fine without sounding very good.

I agree with the last part, I have a number of very good friends as a result of this hobby (and other hobbies)...it is often how middle aged men establish a social network around common interest. Not sure what your bias has to do with this discussion though.

If you have a positive bias towards a brand it increases the probability that it will sound better to you. BTW, negative bias is even more insidious. No one listens in unbiased conditions, although a few people think they do. And good advertisement helps positive bias - the same way misleading advertisement can create negative bias in some people.

You did not see such a claim, because I am not making the suggestion that advanced materials (necessarily or objectively) result in better sound.* I merely was providing examples of loudspeakers made today using advanced materials which are not "mainly air inside."

*Separately, for audiophiles who like subjectively the sonic artifacts of "black backgrounds" and "pinpoint imaging" and a "fast sound" I think the use in dynamic driver loudspeaker cabinets of advanced materials to achieve heroic inertness and damping is desirable for these folks. Audiophiles who like this type of sound will view technological advancements in materials as sonic improvements. Audiophiles who do not like this type of sound will not view technological advancements in materials as sonic improvements.
Ron,

You got speakers form a manufacturer that praises "pinpoint dimensional accuracy" (quoting his site) and have amplifiers praised for being able to create exceptional "black backgrounds". Why do you insist on using these words in a pejorative way, changing the meaning usually associated to them in the typical high-end language?

Reactions: bonzo75
I think this is the key to why there is so much disagreement about what makes a successful home audio system. Despite @morricab's hypothesis that we all perceive audio in the same way (not entirely inconsistent with your comment I excerpted), we don't all interpret our perceptions in the same way.

We disagree on our perception of real music, where we get the full information. Surely our perception of stereo reproduced music, where we get much less and less reliable information is even more divergent.

Reactions: Al M.
Al, again, I don't really know what you are trying to get at. The recording has information. We want our systems to retrieve it. I want my system to retrieve as much of it as possible, presented as naturally as possible. More information is very simply more information. In this case, it tells us more of what is captured on the recording and it makes the listening experience more like what we hear live. I want to hear the information, all of it. The more you hear, the better, as long as it sounds right, not enhanced or corrupted by the system or set up or something else. We had this discussion many times here. I assume the information is delivered with low levels of distortion, but let us not go there again in this thread, please.

Peter,

Do you realize that the recording has a lot of information you do not get in real music and also a lot less? That the system has to cut part of it and enhance other parts to sound right?

In an instrumental sense the microphone is a lot more sensitive than our ears.

There are compromises in stereo sound reproduction, it is not a black and white process.

Reactions: MarcelNL
We disagree on our perception of real music, where we get the full information. Surely our perception of stereo reproduced music, where we get much less and less reliable information is even more divergent.
You, I and many others may agree with this statement, but there are clearly some here who don't...

Reactions: Al M.
I don't think "distortion" (except in the sense of any change in the original signal) is the measurable property most important in audio reproduction, and the anti-distortion competition in audio electronics through the 1970's should be ample evidence of that. More, haven't Geddes and Lee manufactured speakers for sale? What has been the consumer acceptance of those speakers?
You didn’t read the papers I guess

Peter,

Do you realize that the recording has a lot of information you do not get in real music and also a lot less? That the system has to cut part of it and enhance other parts to sound right?

In an instrumental sense the microphone is a lot more sensitive than our ears.

There are compromises in stereo sound reproduction, it is not a black and white process.

Francisco, surely it depends very much on the recording. I don’t believe in the overly broad generalizations that you continuously make. I think we have different experiences, different goals, and different preferences. As a result, we have different approaches. That’s what makes the hobby so fascinating. I don’t think we will agree on this stuff.

Yes, I understand the medium is flawed and involves compromises. Who said anything about black and white?

Do we? When I go to concerts with family and friends and discuss the concert it is usually quite a similar experience had by myself and the others based on their words.

Reactions: tima and MarcelNL
You guys are still arguing about whether we hear similarly or differently, or have the same frame of reference or not for describing music, what we hear, and what we want to hear?
I have two friends, both heavily into music, both with modest but good systems.
One hates where my system has gone, he loves the kind of "wall of sound" presentation that you hear at a rock arena. My system initially went in that direction and he couldn't get enough of it. Now he finds that highly individual tonal variation btwn albums and a much more natural timbral and textural presentation is not for him.
My other friend never took to my sound to start because it was so thick and one-note. Now he can't get enough of how he feels he hears proper differentiation of tone and instrumental/vocal realness btwn records, and a real sense of the acoustic of spaces.
Two totally different analyses and reactions to an evolving sound.

Reactions: Pokey77
You guys are still arguing about whether we hear similarly or differently, or have the same frame of reference or not for describing music, what we hear, and what we want to hear?
I have two friends, both heavily into music, both with modest but good systems.
One hates where my system has gone, he loves the kind of "wall of sound" presentation that you hear at a rock arena. My system initially went in that direction and he couldn't get enough of it. Now he finds that highly individual tonal variation btwn albums and a much more natural timbral and textural presentation is not for him.
My other friend never took to my sound to start because it was so thick and one-note. Now he can't get enough of how he feels he hears proper differentiation of tone and instrumental/vocal realness btwn records, and a real sense of the acoustic of spaces.
Two totally different analyses and reactions to an evolving sound.
To me what you describe is that your preference changed yet that of your friends did not (yet?)

Reactions: morricab and PeterA
Francisco, surely it depends very much on the recording. I don’t believe in the overly broad generalizations that you continuously make. I think we have different experiences, different goals, and different preferences. As a result, we have different approaches. That’s what makes the hobby so fascinating. I don’t think we will agree on this stuff.

Yes, I understand the medium is flawed and involves compromises. Who said anything about black and white?
The recording process can have exactly the same drivers and involve the same aims as listener preferences. The recording engineer can choose to aim to capture the true context and spirit of the performance and aim for it to sound naturally balanced, they can choose to mod and sculpt the sound to their own liking, they can chase specific areas of sound to focus on or compress the whole and they can create highlighted detail. They can exaggerate the scale and sense of space. A recent trend to crazily close recording of the piano to highlight the closeup mechanical sounds of keys and pedals in some explorative contemporary classical music is a trend that is an example of how much range there is in creative recording choice (for good and bad). Thankfully many great musicians and recording engineers and recording companies still aim for authenticity and to allow the original sound and intention of the music to come through.

To me what you describe is that your preference changed yet that of your friends did not (yet?)
Marcel, the twin experiences of a radically improved listening room acoustics, combined with vastly increased exposure to classical music in a variety of different spaces (on average a concert every fortnight over 5 years), has totally changed my appreciation of the kind of natural music reproduction that PeterA highlights.
So while my current naysaying friend is obsessed w playing music loudly off his iPod, blasting himself at Muse and Foo Fighters gigs at London Wembley Arena and O2, and turning his subs up, my way more sympathetic friend is really appreciating a greater reproduction of accurate instrumental timbre in its own individual space.
And tbh, my acoustics and a couple of hundred excellent sounding classical concerts since our move up here, has got me totally appreciating this evolution in my sound over the playful cacophony I used to rate in London as my ideal sound.
And the changes I've made in the last 5 years has served this eventual outcome.

My point was objective and general - it applies to microphones and stereo sound reproduction. You can speak about different experiences, but any one listening to stereo sound reproductions shares these common points - microphones and two channel sound reproduction.

If you believe the earth is flat and tell me you just want to debate how beautiful are the stars in the sky we have little to disagree. :)

Reactions: metaphacts
You didn’t read the papers I guess
perhaps the most insightful conclusion: "The bottom line here is that we know so little about how humans perceive the sound quality of an audio system, and in particular the loudspeaker, that one should question almost everything that we think we know about measuring it"

The recording process can have exactly the same drivers and involve the same aims as listener preferences. The recording engineer can choose to aim to capture the true context and spirit of the performance and aim for it to sound naturally balanced, they can choose to mod and sculpt the sound to their own liking, they can chase specific areas of sound to focus on or compress the whole and they can create highlighted detail. They can exaggerate the scale and sense of space. A recent trend to crazily close recording of the piano to highlight the closeup mechanical sounds of keys and pedals in some explorative contemporary classical music is a trend that is an example of how much range there is in creative recording choice (for good and bad). Thankfully many great musicians and recording engineers and recording companies still aim for authenticity and to allow the original sound and intention of the music to come through.

I fully agree with your points. But you must consider that most great sound engineers have different views, equally valid, of what is a is a great recording. Just look at our members divergence of what are the great "natural" recordings that should be used as a reference.

It is always easy to write nice sounding statements about authenticity, original sound and intention. But as soon as we analyze individual recordings we find that in reality there is not such universal thing.

Consider, for example, the often referred tapes of the RR Arnold Overtures, Sheffield DD recordings or the John Culshaw recordings. I appreciate them a lot and consider them highly, but I realize that people that praise the "natural" do not share my enthusiasm.

Most of us list in our signature our gear. Probably it would be more significant to list our reference recordings - I have often referred mine along the years.

Reactions: MarcelNL
Heard STenheim sound absolutely horrible with Neukomm (Swiss SS brand) at a recent show...I know they can sound good but it was drier than the Sahara desert at this show thanks to the electronics.
I never heard Stenheim sound great with SS, including with CH Precision. But it sounded great at Axpona with a Swedish tube brand (Enstrom?) and with Enstein OTL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu