State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

Andromada asked for more entertainment. How about discussing horns and videos?

Its Andromeda with an e ( named after our nearest galaxy )
Peter the discussion is going just fine again regarding the entertainment value.
No need to change / bring the vids in again .

Most important is you are happy with your system , you listen to different music then i do .
Off course your system is set up differently / to your own taste.

Point is you can discuss taste all day long and nobody is gonna change their chance .
But when one party says their approach is much better/ closer to the truth / much more natural / " you have not heard enough systems" and the other party is deaf , thats when the trouble starts

Last edited:
I tried it but got thrown out of my yoga meditation class. Guess horns aren't my Nirvana.
Naah. You likely got thrown out because you couldnt keep balance, fell and roll over the poor lady next to you Howie.

Any hybrid horn is a compromise. Then it depends how well that compromise is managed, similar to hybrid electrostats. Otherwise at least till 100 Hz or so when everything is horn loaded it is great. I don't really like the ones with cone loaded midbass woofers and I would rather take a vintage tannoy or devore orangutan or Martin Logan hybrid instead. I also prefer cones to them.

Interesting. Can you explain why you don't like hybrid horns with cone loaded midbass woofers? Is it lack of coherence?

Naah. You likely got thrown out because you couldnt keep balance, fell and roll over the poor lady next to you Howie.
I just heard that Horn Video's and chat will be used to end the conflict in Ukraine! It seems they have value across the entire spectrum of human problems. How do you cure impotence? Horn Video's. How do you eliminate Covid? Horn Video's. How can we wipe out poverty? racism? illiteracy? hunger? you know the answer!

I totally agree that is argument for the sake of argument and has zero to do with the subject. I started this thread about the Audio Industry from a very interesting article that Roy Gregory wrote ( IMO). I see many found it to be that as well and then we have the Horn Video which has nothing to do with the subject but its universality has allowed it to be inserted in every thread on WBF.

I just heard that Horn Video's and chat will be used to end the conflict in Ukraine! It seems they have value across the entire spectrum of human problems. How do you cure impotence? Horn Video's. How do you eliminate Covid? Horn Video's. How can we wipe out poverty? racism? illiteracy? hunger? you know the answer!

I totally agree that is argument for the sake of argument and has zero to do with the subject. I started this thread about the Audio Industry from a very interesting article that Roy Gregory wrote ( IMO). I see many found it to be that as well and then we have the Horn Video which has nothing to do with the subject but its universality has allowed it to be inserted in every thread on WBF.

Elliot, it was a nice original post referencing an interesting article. We discussed that article and then the thread topic became less about the specific article and more about the current state of the industry which you have in the title thread.
members of the industry started talking about things outside of the original article as well. This is how thread topics often go. I understand your criticism about the discussion becoming broader than Roy’s points about the power and influence from specific sources. He did mention how products have changed over time and I quoted directly from his article at the beginning of the thread about that. I guess if no one was interested in the thread it would’ve died along time ago.

If one looks closely at the Hubble photo's of Andromeda, there appear to be numerous Horn shaped star clusters. Very Interesting...
I wonder if Horns have a sense of humor? Seems doubtful

...This is how thread topics often go...
Unfortunately, how thread topics often go is more of the same (irrelevant) posts of system videos and why horns are the only speakers that matter. Almost every topic (it sometime seems)...

Next time you will listen to horn speakers . I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse!

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio
Unfortunately, how thread topics often go is more of the same (irrelevant) posts of system videos and why horns are the only speakers that matter. Almost every topic (it sometime seems)...

Yeah, I actually don’t see anyone writing that horn speakers are the only speakers that matter nor that non-horn owners are deaf. That just isn’t true. And it’s hardly every thread. Look up the what’s new tab and you’ll see that most of the discussions are on conventional contemporary cone systems and digital and cables and basketball. Surely some analog source discussions as well.

Last edited:
yeah, I actually don’t see anyone writing that horn speakers of the only speakers that matter nor that non-horn owners are deaf. That just isn’t true. And it’s hardly every thread. Look up the what’s new tab and you’ll see that most of the discussions are on conventional contemporary cone systems and digital and cables and basketball. Surely some analog source discussions as well.
no agreed but it is very repetitive and mind numbing the consistency of this. I promise to go listen to all the horns at Munich and I am willing to take the horn pledge of allegiance but please....
Enjoy your gear but stop the preaching all of the Horn Tribe its enough

Excuse me sir. Do we know each other? Is this your way to introduce yourself to me. What is all this babbling. Pls whine it to the moderator. We have two now. They will take care of what agitate you if it violates the TOS of this forum.

no agreed but it is very repetitive and mind numbing the consistency of this. I promise to go listen to all the horns at Munich and I am willing to take the horn pledge of allegiance but please....
Enjoy your gear but stop the preaching all of the Horn Tribe its enough

It’s easy to ignore the horn chat although someone surprisingly brought it up on the new moderator thread for some inexorable reason. We can go back to the state of the industry epitomized by the incredible SOTA Wadax DAC that took up lots of discussion about a month ago.

Edit for humor: The horn tribe chat is “transitory”.

Last edited:
Excuse me sir. Do we know each other? Is this your way to introduce yourself to me. What is all this babbling. Pls whine it to the moderator. We have two now. They will take care of what agitate you if it violates the TOS of this forum.
???? I have no idea what my post has to do with you Tango but having a sense of humor is really an important part of life. This comment was just a reply to the thread it was not addressed to you personally. My mistake in clicking the wrong reply. My apologies that you thought it was addressed to you.

Last edited:
Interesting. Can you explain why you don't like hybrid horns with cone loaded midbass woofers? Is it lack of coherence?

The midbass of hybrids sounds like cones driven by SETs. There is nothing special about it. Usually it is just a size and budget compromise, and that can be heard. It surely has a major place in the market because many seek efficient speakers that are more WAF, which hybrids are. Smaller size, easier placement to wall, usually amps used are smaller than equivalent SS are benefits of hybrids.

Yes it can be heard in lack of coherence. It is like two different systems. Horn loaded midbass well integrated is where magic is at. After that is all about managing compromise which horns find it tough to do.

Never heard a Cone loaded midbass in horns that does the agility, nuance, ability to breathe bass, that horn loaded midbass does

it doesn't get past the cabinet coloration either-which is the problem to solve, and can only be done by reducing baffle and opening it up which horn loading achieves

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcelNL and Al M.
I think the early arrival of digital before technical maturity has led to many decades of anguish for people who appreciate good sound , this may be less relevant in a non classical/acoustical context not my area of experience personally

I've been considering what exactly you meant by this for almost a full day only to come up shy.

Reference to the aluminum foil medium preceding shellac records? If so, that was a highly interesting tangent on digital media rarely touched upon in forums. Albeit an unfair one given your historical range of analysis exposes the true state of professional archiving. One of physical media decomposing and troubles finding apparently lost higher quality sources.

Early digital recordings arrived at a state far surpassing technical maturity of aluminum foil or even shellac. Early CD are highly sought out these days. The contrast you speak of is more easily noticed in say the revitalization of The Rolling Stones catalog. Amazing stuff that, 20 somethings making studio decisions only to become apparent after years of study in their middle age informed reissues that had nothing to do with offering a near endless budget. A direct to disc X-Ray LP recorded in a bad hall would sound like heaven under those circumstances.

i would agree that not all recordings are equal I download a few suitable recordings, mainly those I don’t have eg Kogan violin
I would agree there is a plethora of musical content
quartet recordings and their reproduction is challenging in any circumstances or medium

in my personal experience it’s hard to find great digital string quartet recordings, but others may correct me as I am only recent exponent of Qobuz

i personally made a bit of a sonic breakthrough with digital string tone, but need further evaluation time before expanding further
Forget the recording, and aim for performance.. I see a good recording as a bonus...I have a recording of Strauss conducting Strauss, heavily edited (Dutton) but the performance is SO nice. Currently I'm frequently listening to oldies such as Elly Ney, Karl Suske etc where digitization is hit or miss...Also sometimes Qobuz has a couple of versions of the same work, there appears to a tendency that is telling me to hit the oldest version (a bit like first pressing), for example modern jazz quartet 'pyramid' has three versions- just listen to all three for like 10 min each and see which you prefer.

The truth here is undeniable where it pertains to vintage analog. Honesty to the source is laudable in an age where generational impressions can be impressively spun into whole cloth from which to start crafting alternate realities. Spending hours only slightly improving an already high level digital mastering to levels most would still consider unlistenable is not a good business plan. Consumer facing bickering has done little to remove awareness the level of people inside this hobby remains quite high. Even during a period not as much as desired can be accomplished on one of the more critical fronts.

I was a non-practicing audiophile for numerous years of observing the efforts HDTT grew from while Marsten continued tracking down unobtainium R2R. New (digital) music continues to be as exceedingly easy to attain as it narrow in focus. As easy as erasing all of those flawed mp3 from early work on needledrops of obscure records I didn't own until streaming was viable. Variety is the staple of life where the utmost in quality is rarely attainable in bunches.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing