Stillpoints Ultra 6 v's Critical Mass Systems Centre Stage 2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes...but strangely the Dalby website actually has only the Preamp on it...and also says 'new website coming in 2011'.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Yes...but strangely the Dalby website actually has only the Preamp on it...and also says 'new website coming in 2011'.
Dalby website has not been active for some years. But the Audio Exotics forum features numerous people taking delivery of and commenting on new Dalby components/cables/accessories.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dalby website has not been active for some years. But the Audio Exotics forum features numerous people taking delivery of and commenting on new Dalby components/cables/accessories.
Thanks! Will check that out.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd.
Trust you are well.
No I haven't tried the Ultra 7s or heard anything of them other than in this thread. I did have the Ultra Vs under my YG speakers for quite a while but when I mentioned it to Dick Diamond at one of the Munich shows he advised me to go back to the supplied YG supports.
Duly followed his advice when I got back and concluded that he was right.
I appreciate your system is digital but after the success of the V2s I tried the new Ultra 6 turntable clamp in replacement of the stock SME clamp. It made an immediate and significant improvement to the sound.
As to the 7s I am guessing that they have further developed the successful improved technology in the 6V2s so it will be interesting to hear what people think.
Hi Barry...Ultra 5s swapped out and Ultra 7s in today. Will update later. I also am trying U6 v2 under the Robert Koda amps...unlike the Gryphon Mephisto which was not only inert, dense (but also built on 4 massive feet of some kind of dense inert compound)...the Robert Koda does benefit from isolation. ...very promising so far...more to come...

I have heard the Ultra 7s were designed in some form of collaboration or with design input from Andy Payor of Rockport. One of my favorite audio brands and designers of all time.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry...Ultra 5s swapped out and Ultra 7s in today. Will update later. I also am trying U6 v2 under the Robert Koda amps...unlike the Gryphon Mephisto which was not only inert, dense (but also built on 4 massive feet of some kind of dense inert compound)...the Robert Koda does benefit from isolation. ...very promising so far...more to come...

I have heard the Ultra 7s were designed in some form of collaboration or with design input from Andy Payor of Rockport. One of my favorite audio brands and designers of all time.
Thank you for the update Lloyd.
Just had a look at them. Look good.
I will look forward to your further report on them and also how the Ultra6V2s perform under your Robert Kodas.
Off topic I know, but the QSA fuses have been a tremendous success in my system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will look forward to your further report on them and also how the Ultra6V2s perform under your Robert Kodas.
Off topic I know, but the QSA fuses have been a tremendous success in my system.
;) I will keep you posted. Oh...and as for QSA...one thing at a time! ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Barry,

Magic. The HRS Nimbus (NIA-100) on top of the U6 v2 is the magic combination once again. The detail of the Stillpoint U6 v2 is remarkable...but the HRS on top brings 2 [absolutely mandatory] things:
- the tonal balance in the upper register of piano/strings is now correct-sounding to me...without, I hear a hardening of treble, slight thinning and definitely a shar truncation of the tail-most end of the treble note
- in fact, the DETAIL improves in that those same notes also become more fully fleshed where the END of the note is far more complete...so now you get the benefit of the U6...more organized music, separation of instruments, space, and a far more resolved sense of timing in music...where silence plays as big a part as the music
- plus, you get individual note fullness from the HRS Nimbus sitting on top

Overall, I think that the stiff elastomer element sitting on top of the U6 v2 with its combination of steel and ceramic balls really, really works well.

Separately, so far, the U7s are also impressive in their ability to deliver a more resolved capable sound presentation at both low level and at large full-scale, full-volume levels without the speakers starting to show their vibration-induced limits.

More to come...

Reactions: vert and Zappadaddy

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Hello,
Reading this instructive thread, I understand that the Stillpoints, supposed to be a « Uber » product ar Uber price needs to add a HRS Nimbus for sounding good !
I have doubt about Loyd but it’s a pity for Stillpoints (IMHO)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello,
Reading this instructive thread, I understand that the Stillpoints, supposed to be a « Uber » product ar Uber price needs to add a HRS Nimbus for sounding good !
I have doubt about Loyd but it’s a pity for Stillpoints (IMHO)
Hi Cuntigh,

I think in this extreme level of the hobby, I would say 'yes and no'.
- Yes, we all wish 'everything' would be perfect...and for the most part Stillpoints are great...however, 'great' is never enough at this extreme level. And I would tick the box of saying there is an imperfection in the design imho.

However, I would also say:

- No I dont think it is entirely disappointing because the whole idea of mass damping, upgrading power cables, spending more on equipment racks, power conditioners, EMI/RFI shielding, changing stock tubes to NOS tubes...is that even the most uniquely perfect audio piece (of any kind) there is always an audiophile out there who is going to try to improve by spending more to focus in on an area where the original equipment could be improved.

- Take another example: SRA. Silent Running Audio is custom calibrating their equipment shelves to the actual equipment itself...where the transformer is located within the chassis meant the shelf interior is designed differently, etc. It is the ONLY piece of equipment where mass damping makes a mess of things...because they have designed the shelf to have ONLY the equipment on it.

So guess what? I decided to try the SRA on top of an HRS M3X shelf...and darn it, it is much better...and I get better tonal power/depth out of Middle C as opposed to the SRA directly on top of our 4" thick birch ply custom shelving.

Reactions: cuntigh

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Thanks for this post. You put the right words on all that. What I’m sure is the WBF is a high level forum. Here you can learn on the components but also much more than that.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,

Magic. The HRS Nimbus (NIA-100) on top of the U6 v2 is the magic combination once again. The detail of the Stillpoint U6 v2 is remarkable...but the HRS on top brings 2 [absolutely mandatory] things:
- the tonal balance in the upper register of piano/strings is now correct-sounding to me...without, I hear a hardening of treble, slight thinning and definitely a shar truncation of the tail-most end of the treble note
- in fact, the DETAIL improves in that those same notes also become more fully fleshed where the END of the note is far more complete...so now you get the benefit of the U6...more organized music, separation of instruments, space, and a far more resolved sense of timing in music...where silence plays as big a part as the music
- plus, you get individual note fullness from the HRS Nimbus sitting on top

Overall, I think that the stiff elastomer element sitting on top of the U6 v2 with its combination of steel and ceramic balls really, really works well.

Separately, so far, the U7s are also impressive in their ability to deliver a more resolved capable sound presentation at both low level and at large full-scale, full-volume levels without the speakers starting to show their vibration-induced limits.

More to come...
Hi Lloyd,
Many thanks for your feedback and I am glad that both the Stillpoints have proved effective. The U6V2s have certainly worked under my Vitus SIA 030.
As I said earlier the Ygs didn't benefit from the Utra 5s, but my floor is concrete so less of a problem than your wooden floor,,and pleased to hear that the U7s have improved the performance of your Wilsons. Do you have four U7s under each speaker or are 3 enough?
It is gratifying when these additions to your system do make a difference for the better, but you can be completely sure until you are able to try them at home.
Best
Barry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,
Many thanks for your feedback and I am glad that both the Stillpoints have proved effective. The U6V2s have certainly worked under my Vitus SIA 030.
As I said earlier the Ygs didn't benefit from the Utra 5s, but my floor is concrete so less of a problem than your wooden floor,,and pleased to hear that the U7s have improved the performance of your Wilsons. Do you have four U7s under each speaker or are 3 enough?
It is gratifying when these additions to your system do make a difference for the better, but you can be completely sure until you are able to try them at home.
Best
Barry
Hi Barry,

The U7s are custom drilled for the speaker because the top screw is now fixed into the assembly permanently...and then it does NOT connect to the modules down below (there is no direct path between top and bottom so vibrations from either top or bottom go into the unit but there is no internal pathway that directly connects top and bottom without going thru all the ceramic balls, mechanics inside to void vibration.

Therefore, there are 4 U7s in place of the original spikes (which we had already replaced with U5s when the XLFs were originally setup...same with X1s before that.

Do you place HRS NIA-100 (Nimbus Couplers) on top of your U6 v2s (directly under the component chassis bottom)?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Lloyd,
Thanks for getting back so quickly.
It is interesting to have those additional design details of the U7s which I can well believe are key to their effectiveness. Obviously well thought out.
No I don't have any Nimbus couplers. I had some previously but found they unduly darkened the sound. I still have one large damping pad and two mediums which sit respectively on top of my Sky Q box and my DCS Scarlatti DAC and Clock. The one on the Sky box helps but I haven't noticed any real effects upon the DCS.
I could without too much trouble try placing them under the Scarlatti transport or DAC on top of the U5sto see if that improves either of them. If it did I could, albeit with more difficulty given its weight, try them under the Vitus on top of the U6V2s.
Any thoughts ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Barry,

Overall, I think the HRS Nimbus Couplers on their own are 'ok' at best...they work well with HRS M3X shelves but that is a big commitment of weight and space. By contrast, I prefer the Nimbus Coupler/U6 combination a LOT. More compact, easily useable with various components as the system evolves or grows.

I do not use HRS Nimbus Couplers alone anywhere in the system.

AS to where you might try them...Scarlatti DAC yes...Transport maybe...I find that transports are designed with the expectation of vibration already and surprisingly had less strong positive impact from isolation than one might otherwise guess. Regarding Vitus, yes, I would be intrigued to understand what happens if you put the Nimbus Coupler between the Vitus and the U6. Then listen to Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations if you happen to have it. Tracks 2 and 5/6 are my references for how the various notes along the keyboard can sound depending on system setup (and isolation).

I have found power benefits almost 'most' from isolation (power conditioners, power supply units)...and amps. The one exception was the Gryphon Mephisto which was so inert (108kgs) it took a LOT to make even the slightest impact with isolation...and I am not convinced I actually made one...I had extra weight and materials and used them because the earlier reference Colosseum did benefit.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,

Overall, I think the HRS Nimbus Couplers on their own are 'ok' at best...they work well with HRS M3X shelves but that is a big commitment of weight and space. By contrast, I prefer the Nimbus Coupler/U6 combination a LOT. More compact, easily useable with various components as the system evolves or grows.

I do not use HRS Nimbus Couplers alone anywhere in the system.

AS to where you might try them...Scarlatti DAC yes...Transport maybe...I find that transports are designed with the expectation of vibration already and surprisingly had less strong positive impact from isolation than one might otherwise guess. Regarding Vitus, yes, I would be intrigued to understand what happens if you put the Nimbus Coupler between the Vitus and the U6. Then listen to Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations if you happen to have it. Tracks 2 and 5/6 are my references for how the various notes along the keyboard can sound depending on system setup (and isolation).

I have found power benefits almost 'most' from isolation (power conditioners, power supply units)...and amps. The one exception was the Gryphon Mephisto which was so inert (108kgs) it took a LOT to make even the slightest impact with isolation...and I am not convinced I actually made one...I had extra weight and materials and used them because the earlier reference Colosseum did benefit.
Thanks Lloyd.
Your comments on the Transport/DAC and on power bears out my experience too.
I'll give some thought to the Vitus option. I do have the Gould Goldberg variations so that is helpful

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff, Barry. FWIW, your 030 weighs 55kgs...since they are on Stillpoints already, then you are really just lifting up one end very slightly to wedge a 1 inch Nimbus on top of the first U6...and then because that one corner of the unit is now taller, it actually is much easier to lift the other corners to put Nimbus Couplers on the other U6s. I did both Robert Koda Monos last night myself (45kg each) in about 20 minutes...very carefully of course but very straightforward.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Barry...just saw this on another thread here at WBF (from an owner and fan of Stillpoints who puts them on top of Symposiums)...see my reply as well. Posts 9 & 10.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry...just saw this on another thread here at WBF (from an owner and fan of Stillpoints who puts them on top of Symposiums)...see my reply as well. Posts 9 & 10.

Thank you Lloyd.
The Vitus is too heavy a brute for me to tweak with the HRS. Next time Fraser or Glen are here we'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

2glory

Nov 24, 2020
I have two sets of the ASI TopLine footers and I am shocked on how great they are under my Bricasti and Antipodes.

i Am looking to buy more if anyone has a few sets they want to sell.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I have two sets of the ASI TopLine footers and I am shocked on how great they are under my Bricasti and Antipodes.

i Am looking to buy more if anyone has a few sets they want to sell.
The Dalby Audio Lignum Vitae feet are similar in design to the ASI, but the Dalby are significantly better in every parameter. I have the Dalby under my sacd player and the ASI under its separate power supply.

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6259.jpg
    IMG_6259.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing