Stillpoints Ultra 6 v's Critical Mass Systems Centre Stage 2

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Scot

The best way to know exactly what these do is for you to do an A-B-A test. Most people on ly do an A-B test. You should listen and then remove them from your system and listen to the same music once again and that will be evidence enough. I always have done an A-B-A test with mine

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Scot

The best way to know exactly what these do is for you to do an A-B-A test. Most people on ly do an A-B test. You should listen and then remove them from your system and listen to the same music once again and that will be evidence enough. I always have done an A-B-A test with mine

Steve, is your A-B-A test recommendation to listen to the system without them (A), then listen with the CS footers after the break in period (B), and then remove the footers and listen to the system again (A)? Or is it with footers (A), then without footers (B), then with footers again (A)?

After the suggested 7 day settling period, how long must one wait to hear them again once they have been removed and then replaced under the component? Is the time any shorter the second time?

Steve Williams

Steve, is your A-B-A test recommendation to listen to the system without them (A), then listen with the CS footers after the break in period (B), and then remove the footers and listen to the system again (A)? Or is it with footers (A), then without footers (B), then with footers again (A)?

After the suggested 7 day settling period, how long must one wait to hear them again once they have been removed and then replaced under the component? Is the time any shorter the second time?
peter

The settle in period is system dependent and not etched in stone so it can vary from 3-7 days to several weeks. None of us know why that is the case but it is. I seem to be one of the few who has been finding a shorter than expected settle in and my only explanation for that (and I only assume it to be the reason)is that my footers are all sitting on CMS racks

As for my A-B-A, either way is fine as long as you can do the "A " comparison

I do mine both ways but usually A-without the footers, B with the footers and A without the footers

Reactions: PeterA and Bobvin

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
At least with Stillpoints you know the life of the product is long and a fully researched product, not a in testing product.
Centre Stage on version 3 now?

As a consumer, not good if u bought the discontinued old versions.

Reactions: tima

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
At least with Stillpoints you know the life of the product is long and a fully researched product, not a in testing product.

Agreed but certain folks seem to disagree. I tried to point that out on another thread and received less than polite responses.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Agreed but certain folks seem to disagree. I tried to point that out on another thread and received less than polite responses.

I also agree. You see this with certain speaker manufacturers but they still have a loyal following.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Change and improvement are addictive. Some of us (or possibly just at some stages in our lives) may require a more constant dosage or even rapid big injections of extreme upgrade gratification… it’s dependent on how we choose to nourish ourselves. So if there are ready finances and we are tuned to consider the return on investment with known or familiar (and so seemingly safe and predictable gear upgrades) then the constant releasing of new iterations can be exciting opportunities to move forwards.

Nirvana ceaselessly beckons :eek: But it can also become exhausting… it’s the uneven nature of change

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Nirvana ceaselessly beckons :eek: But it can also become exhausting… it’s the uneven nature of change
you know you’ve reached nirvana when all you want to do is listen

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Change and improvement are addictive. Some of us (or possibly just at some stages in our lives) may require a more constant dosage or even rapid big injections of extreme upgrade gratification… it’s dependent on how we choose to nourish ourselves. So if there are ready finances and we are tuned to consider the return on investment with known or familiar (and so seemingly safe and predictable gear upgrades) then the constant releasing of new iterations can be exciting opportunities to move forwards.

The addiction that audiophiles can't kick is also a pleasure and as you essentially said, availability of funds drives the addiction. There's no issue with that other than to say some companies capitalize on that addiction spending more on Marketing than R&D and laughing all the way to the bank.

Net - some companies release revolutionary products, others focus more on tweaks that older models (purposely?) can't upgrade to. In the computer industry customers wouldn't stand for it, in high end audio, the brand zealots evangelize ad nauseum and the checkbooks fly open. We all know the culprits.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The addiction that audiophiles can't kick is also a pleasure and as you essentially said, availability of funds drives the addiction. There's no issue with that other than to say some companies capitalize on that addiction spending more on Marketing than R&D and laughing all the way to the bank.

Net - some companies release revolutionary products, others focus more on tweaks that older models (purposely?) can't upgrade to. In the computer industry customers wouldn't stand for it, in high end audio, the brand zealots evangelize ad nauseum and the checkbooks fly open. We all know the culprits.
Ha yes. Very much about feeding the pleasure zone.

I’ve been stabilising back into music as primary focus ever since I switched over to the horn SET thing, but still the component urges hit and test my resolve as I cycle off into new thoughts and researching into alternate paths.

My current thoughts are looking to silver autoformers, folded open baffle subs and other horns and field coils. I am largely a lost cause I fear.

• Haha
Reactions: dbeau and sbo6

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
The addiction that audiophiles can't kick is also a pleasure and as you essentially said, availability of funds drives the addiction.
It's a very simple question. How much is enough? I stopped asking that question several years ago. Can I afford to buy new gear? Yes. Do I want to? No. Like any addiction and how much you let it continue is a personal challenge. Self control is paramount.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
The Dalby Audio isolation feet are the best I've heard and are on a whole different level compared to any model of Stillpoints or Critical Mass Systems footer I've heard (I have the Dalby D7-LVSE Lignum Vitae feet under my Modwright-Marantz SA8005). The sound of Stillpoints (and every other metal footer I've heard) reminds me a little of the sound of Rhodium plated connectors - there is a slight hardness and clinicality to the sound. It appears from the posts at Audio Exotics and other Asian sites that the Dalby footers are considered by many Asian audiophiles to be the world's best. I have heard nothing (including isolation platforms) that comes close. The ASI Topline Feet (which I also have) are my 2nd choice. I have heard raves about the Harmonix TU666 Maestro footers but have not listened to them.

FYI: https://audioexotics.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9807/dalby-audio-design/p1

(Below) Dalby Audio D7 Lignum Vitae SE isolation feet on top of last generation Townshend Seismic Sink air platform.

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 56

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Dalby feet look like an expensive copy of shunmook diamond resonators which exist since the 90s...
From the side - yes. But with the Shun Mook the component sits directly on a large ebony wood surface, while the Dalby footer contacts the component only through three small ceramic spheres (see photos). My ears tell me that the Shun Mook do more tuning of resonances than the Dalby while the Dalby do more draining of internal component resonances than the Shun Mook. To my ears the Dalby feet are a clear winner over 99adf2a005c319f600238e9215249027.jpg 1giaertnres86.jpg Shun Mook and everything else I've heard. Retail prices between the Dalby and Shun Mook are pretty similar.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dalby is more expensive. Their record weight is better though they have different ones and some sound not as good.

I don't know about the feet, never heard, shun mook is great, there is one guy here, hi5harry who has both

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Cellcbern - I have had trouble researching either the Dalby or ASI Topline isolators. Do you have links? I see there is some ASI chatter on Facebook but I don't do social media. TIA...

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Cellcbern - I have had trouble researching either the Dalby or ASI Topline isolators. Do you have links? I see there is some ASI chatter on Facebook but I don't do social media. TIA...
I have a set of ASI Topline I could move on, half price , if interested PM me.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
For my part, in studying the design of the Dolby footers I feel that given the minimalist contact area of the metal spike and ceramic hemispheres that they gravitate more in the direction of resonance control through de coupling that the Mook design methodology in that the latter enhances harmonic resonance and thereby bring a somewhat fuller , more texturally dense, liquid projection of the recording than cleaning those harmonics up, tone controls if you will, tho highly organic and satisfying.ones.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
FYI:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing