Stromtank Battery Supply / Sine Wave Converter

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I have not tried a regenerator for the audio system. I have two UberBuss devices, one out of service, one powering network gear, and the first-gen AQ Niagara 1000 on a second system. The TT7 is on the main system.

One of the key take-aways from the Stromtank test is: power and power management here is pretty good, so I'm not really tempted to re-generate power that seems like it's doing a good job.

I seldom say never, so if a chance came along, I might try a re-generator...if it was light-weight and close by!

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Last week, I spent four days with a Stromtank S2500 Quantum in my system. This was not the new MkII version with a digital filter, but a somewhat earlier version, albeit at 48 volts.

In my opinion, the power at my place is good, although I have never had it measured. The 200 amp 2/0 copper service enters via an underground steel conduit, and the leg from the utility transformer feeds about 10 condos. I am on the NE US power grid, for reference.

I have two dedicated lines to the "Sound Chamber," a 12 gauge run with normal Romex, and a run of stranded 10 gauge THHN in flexible metallic conduit. Both lines are direct "home-runs" to the panel, about 35 feet, with Square D breakers and Shunyata Z1 outlets. Outlets are housed in metallic, in-wall boxes, with normal cover plates bolstered with anti-RF material stuck inside the covers.

"Currently," I only use the 10 ga. line which feeds a Sound Application TT7 via a Sablon King pc. Everything is plugged into the TT7. Long way around to support my earlier statement that "the power at my place is good" although I plan to run a dedicated 6 gauge line soon, to make it "more good."

The Stromtank demo was an exercise in determination, as the unit was 100km away, packed in a formidable crate, and at 135lbs. a bit of a hassle. I'm awaiting knee replacement surgery, so screwing up my knee moving an audio crate, would have created sparks in the "domestic power service" with Sweetie, so I hired local movers to get the Tank in and out of the car, and up and down the stairs. Better safe than sorry.

All said, two fit people could certainly negotiate a Stromtank S2500 under normal circumstances, but it's awkward and something to consider. And the bigger models? 100% consider professional help.

The manual outlines the steps to take for safe un-crating and getting things powered up. Two power switches and a key! Then power up your gear, one component at a time.

I started with just my MSB Reference dac plugged into the S2500 in on-grid mode and let it go for an hour or two while a hifi friend headed over. It sounded great. But that's not news.

After a casual lunch, we tried switching from the on-grid pass-through mode to the off-grid "Green Lantern" battery mode for the first time. It sounded great. But that's not news.

We tried a few songs and genres (TAS player software) before we decided to add the Luxman c900 pre-amp to the battery. We listened for another 20-30 minutes and added the Taiko Extreme to the Stromtank. I left things in this configuration for the remainder of the four days (dac, pre, server).

Some listener/reviewers have reported a slight softening of the sound when the Extreme is on battery power. I did not find that to be the case at my place. Transients and speed seemed the same whether on or off grid. We switched back and forth many times, which can be done with a simple switch on the front of the unit.

Music sounded very good, but when my friend and I discussed things after about three hours of listening, we agreed the effect was subtle. Maybe there was a touch of smoothness "on battery." Maybe.

But I think there is a challenge I don't recall reading about in reviews thus far: a true A/B is not as easy as using the switch on the front panel.

Sure, the switch takes you on and off battery mode, which tells you something, but even in the "blue" on-grid mode, the current your components receive is not an unaltered pass-through. The Tank is providing non-battery current for your devices, but also charging the batteries, and, I believe, doing a bit of AC wave form filtering management too.

I think the only proper way to compare would be with gear on the S2500 and then completely off it. I was not willing to go to that level of demo gymnastics.

I know my system well, so I did my best to zero in on the detail, flow and punch, from memory, versus the real-time system on the Stromtank.

I recognize that is not the best way to compare, but that was as far as I was willing to go.

Unplugging/plugging servers and dacs multiple times in close succession is not a great idea, in my view. And four days of listening is sufficient to notice a positive or negative impact to SQ.

I'm not going to write more about the sonic details on the Stromtank, because, frankly, I didn't find it much (any?) different from the sound without the Stromtank, which means I would just be giving you a review of my system.

For potential Stromtank listeners, all is not lost. Your power delivery and infrastructure may not be as good as mine fortunately is, in which case, you might find a significant benefit to removing components from your local grid.

The bad news may be that you really should find a demo to determine whether this is a net-plus for you or not. I genuinely believe it could be. And maybe the top model would be in my system too, but I'm not going to test that use case.

In theory, I would expect taking audio components off the grid to be a big deal sonically, and I was really looking forward to being wowed by the expensive battery beast, der Stromtank. But practically, it was not the case.

What I am now looking forward to is Team Taiko's battery solution for the Extreme, which purports to bring battery management and battery powered audio to the next level by designing and implementing new technology into the audiophile space. Hey @Taiko Audio , how about a demo?!
Did you try any analog sources?
Thanks for your thoughts and insights!

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Hi @gds7368 I am all-digital, so just the Extreme and a bit of Qobuz streaming for source. It does make one wonder about a TT power source impact and what that might sound like.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
BTW: the dealer in Buffalo that loaned me the S2500 Quantum (The Speaker Shop--great shop BTW) reported they liked what it did in their space.

They had an Extreme and MSB dac on it, for sure, but not certain what else. Awesome room chock-full of Minion-eyed D'Agostino components and Magico speakers.

And I don't at all doubt they liked it and noticed a benefit, because who knows what their baseline is for power? A big, old house, in the city. Grid could be zonkers there.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Stromtank owners:
Did you place it on the floor? Most probably, considering size & weight.
But did you try placing it on special footers?
Was it worth it using footers?
Please let us know!

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
This easily wins my competition for the cutest remote ever :)

Attachments

• 4B65DB6B-54D1-4365-AF59-F50CA8FD4BC0.jpeg
    4B65DB6B-54D1-4365-AF59-F50CA8FD4BC0.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 52

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Otoh, the s2500quantum mk II does the job, pretty well imo.
I put center stage footer under the stromtank. Those footers are notorious for sounding awful in the beginning.
Right now, sonics are mighty fine, outstanding microdynamics in every chord, piano, guitar, whatever.
This is what makes music fun: expression, emotion, drama.
No lack in power, wallop, similar things. Pretty good in this respect.
Bass could be better controlled, but things are still running in. Including those footers.

Attachments

• 6C9715A7-5605-47AC-BB55-8F41DE9D3F3F.jpeg
    6C9715A7-5605-47AC-BB55-8F41DE9D3F3F.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 25

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
This easily wins my competition for the cutest remote ever :)
The 19 yo Glenmorangie my favorite in the destillery a few weeks ago :cool:

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
How did you like their Signet?
Too smooth for you?

Attachments

• 373C6DC0-B30E-4C8B-A6C1-CDCF34632383.jpeg
    373C6DC0-B30E-4C8B-A6C1-CDCF34632383.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: christoph

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...as it's just coming off summer temps here, I have been enjoying the "lighter" Nectar d'Or. Sauternes cask finish. Also a good "gateway-scotch" for people who don't like Scotch. Also know as heathens, in some circles. As the temps come down, I will dig a little deeper into the "apocalypse" collection. Bottoms up! Enjoy that Stromtank!

Attachments

• 4F1B45ED-84C2-4B6E-B45F-98EDDF776D6A.jpeg
    4F1B45ED-84C2-4B6E-B45F-98EDDF776D6A.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 18

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Too smooth for you?
I liked the Signet (very elegant) as well but slightly preferred the Tribute (with a tinyest hint of peat).
On another occasion also tried and liked the Nectar d'or.

20220726_113212.jpg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Too smooth for you?
But I bought two consecutive limited bottles of the Distillery only Lighthouse Edition.

20220907_192651.jpg

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The 19 yo Glenmorangie my favorite in the destillery a few weeks ago :cool:
The "Highlander"whisky yummy cheers
I've recently become a fan of macallan 12 years old, soft, round taste, unobtrusive.
macallan-12-jahre-double-cask-tasting.jpg

P.S the cheap version of james bonds whisky

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Nice pics of great Scotch Whiskys:)

btt?
Have Stromtankers here swapped the less than impressive 10A fuse in the back of this toy?
I don’t know, maybe this will only improve blue mode, not off the grid green mode?
Maybe this won’t help at all?

Please do comment before I burn more money on another SR purple:)

PS: I do love Bowmore Whisky for their salty notes, too…

Attachments

• FE1F479E-D4C2-4717-A761-63857964FDAF.jpeg
    FE1F479E-D4C2-4717-A761-63857964FDAF.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: christoph

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Yes to Bowmore. No to fuses. Honestly, I did not mess around with fuses when I demo-ed the 2500. But, when in battery mode, it would be no benefit at all, I would say. I don't see how it could be involved. On-grid, who knows, but it doesn't seem worth it to me, since that mode wouldn't be for "advanced" listening. Buy more Scotch instead...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes to Bowmore as well

Reactions: engadin

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
A resident Scot's vote for Dalwhinnie

Attachments

• 16629526724511581876747.jpg
    16629526724511581876747.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 5

AThrillOfHope

Jul 27, 2021
...as it's just coming off summer temps here, I have been enjoying the "lighter" Nectar d'Or. Sauternes cask finish. Also a good "gateway-scotch" for people who don't like Scotch. Also know as heathens, in some circles. As the temps come down, I will dig a little deeper into the "apocalypse" collection. Bottoms up! Enjoy that Stromtank!

Those are some of the finest tubes I’ve ever seen. Certainly after installing them in your listening beverage, the sound was simply incredible.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Stromtank is a fancy UPS with a high price tag. I listened to the big one a couple of times a couple of years ago. It makes a small difference mainly in midrange but turns the sound a little bit plastic in general. I’m not impressed.

Existence of batteries in stromtank is tempting and creates an illusion as if pure DC is feeding your system but in reality it has an oscillator producing 50Hz (or 60Hz) sine-wave signal. It’s topology depends on a transistor based monoural amplifier which is amplifying that signal to 230VAC (or 120VAC).

I don’t want to feed my tube amplifier with electricity produced by a solid state amplifier, sorry. Instead I stick to regular AC which is produced by rotary generators.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing