Studer A820 in for repair!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Did the short in the Krell cause any external damage?

Apparently not - but it completely destroyed the output board, PCB including. No one got poisoned with the smell. :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Ron, when I got my Doshi tape preamp Nick had my head block. He wired out the head and calibrated the tape preamp. I would consider this to be a complete setup and not just connecting any old tape pre to a wire out head.

Nick has pro chops, if I understand correctly.

Reactions: dminches

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
If someone is reporting that two tape machines of the same make and model sound different, what would you first suspect as the most probable cause?

Hint: It probably isn't about who changed out all the electrolytic capacitors. (More to say on that, a little later today, time permitting.)

To know the answer, you first need to understand some of the science of analog magnetic recording and reproducing.

Only a beginner could mistakenly believe that one just acquires a professional analog recorder-reproducer from someone and starts in using it to make top quality recordings.

Only a beginner might not understand that the recorder must always be carefully aligned for recording on the same tape stock (production batch) that they're using.

No one else can do this critical record alignment for you ahead of time, unless they have some of the exact tape stock (from the same production batch) in their possession.

And only a beginner might not understand that the even more critical, very first step in aligning any recorder, is to first transfer in the reproducing section's alignments for equalization and fluxivity from your own calibration tapes.

It's dishonest to suggest that analog magnetic recording and reproducing is simple.

Newcomers to the technology definitely require training.

Absent that training, you'll hear beginners reaching faulty conclusions, asserting all kinds of silly things that are simply untrue.

Returning to the opening question and answering it: if two tape machines of the exact same make and model sound different, the most probable cause is that their alignments differ.

Ninety-nine percent probability on that.

We didn't have time to play! :p

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Can someone comment more on the superiority of these Trafoless output cards compared to stock cards.

i can only comment on the performance difference. the Trafoless cards have a slightly more refined, vivid, and dynamically alive presentation compared to the stock output cards. they are less in the way of the music. i still prefer my King Cello direct head output, but for me that (KC) interface also has the advantage of my dart preamp and it's 50 ohm 'zeel' interface built into the King Cello......compared to the long XLR's the Trafoless card use.

in other systems the Trafoless cards might be superior to direct head custom output circuits.

i don't know the exact circuit differences between the Trafoless cards and the stock cards other than the absence of the Transformer.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I've compared the trafo and trafoless cards via subjective listening with A-820/2CH recorders. The latter, I believe, is closer to the signal input.
I imagine there may be spec differences as well among these cards.

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the comments, I'm also using a King Cello and are really happy with the results. I may start looking for the trafoless cards for my A810. Where are you guys finding these cards and costs, ebay I assume?

Anthony

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for the comments, I'm also using a King Cello and are really happy with the results. I may start looking for the trafoless cards for my A810. Where are you guys finding these cards and costs, ebay I assume?

Anthony

one of my A-820's came with those Trafoless cards. the other 2 A-820's had the stock audio output cards and i was able to buy the Trafoless Cards from Ki Choi. don't know if he has more.

i have seen them on ebay in the past. you could check with Fred Thal too.

for me the attraction was to improve any dubs i make as i go direct from one A-820 to the other. i don't involve my King Cello in making dubs. the Trafoless cards don't improve the record side, but they do improve the play side of the recording.

Reactions: Scar972

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
If anyone is looking for Trafoless cards, I've got a couple of recapped pairs left. The work was done by Roger Ginsley and they've all been tested and verified working. PM me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing