Sublime Sound

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Bill, That was just for the photo. I got the arm yesterday and plan to design and have machined a custom outboard arm pod on which to mount the arm. It will fit, but the calculations are a bit complicated. I'll figure it out and then have someone make the apparatus. It should be a fun little project. I think patience will be required. I am very impressed with the build quality of the arm. My sample is in excellent condition and I have been cleaning it and getting to understand how it works. I am not quite on speed dial with David K, but he has offered his help, and I appreciate it.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
Peter, if you remember, I took contact with you concerning thé xa160.5 as I had at this Time a xa100.5 driving my pair of Sasha. They are always at home. My preamp was a ar ref5se, that I change à few months ago with a passive preamp, the Bespoke Audio... my source is now a dcs Rossini...

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill, That was just for the photo. I got the arm yesterday and plan to design and have machined a custom outboard arm pod on which to mount the arm. It will fit, but the calculations are a bit complicated. I'll figure it out and then have someone make the apparatus. It should be a fun little project. I think patience will be required. I am very impressed with the build quality of the arm. My sample is in excellent condition and I have been cleaning it and getting to understand how it works. I am not quite on speed dial with David K, but he has offered his help, and I appreciate it.

Sounds an interesting project! I will be watching with keen interest. Might be worth also asking Mik (108CY) - he is bound to have experimented with a 2nd mount or at least custom mounts.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, if you remember, I took contact with you concerning thé xa160.5 as I had at this Time a xa100.5 driving my pair of Sasha. They are always at home. My preamp was a ar ref5se, that I change à few months ago with a passive preamp, the Bespoke Audio... my source is now a dcs Rossini...

Sorry, I remember now. Yes, I made the same change with amps. The Pass power ratings are different, but they also seem to sound slightly different from each other. And mixing with different model or series preamps can also be interesting. I really liked the Rossini when I heard it at my dealership.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have added a new cartridge to my growing collection. It has about fourteen hours on it so far. I find it highly resolving with excellent timbral accuracy. It sounds excellent with classical and choral music, but I am still dialing in set up. It is more complete sounding than my Colibri XPP having the same high energy over more of the frequency range. I am really enjoying this cartridge.

IMG_6163.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow great to see this.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks bonzo and bazelio. Mr. vd Hul suggested the configuration based on my system and my comments about my Colibri XPP. I'll have more extensive comments as the break in continues and I fine tune the set up. For now, I can just say that solo violin, choral and soprano, and larger scale classical have never sounded better in my system. The main impression so far is one of a significant increase in resolution, soundstage width/depth, and a more realistic tone (timbral accuracy) of acoustic instruments. Dynamics are off the charts (though this is not on horn/tube;)).

The goal was more clarity and energy, based on years of listening to the BSO and live chamber music. This cartridge is getting me closer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Let us know how it compares to the Schitt dac. I guess we will find out anyway

Reactions: KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, Ked. That cannot happen as I have no facility to play digital in my system. And anyway any such comparison is really about an entire analog source chain versus a digital source chain rather than two specific individual components within those chains.

That was a joke

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
That was a joke
Ked you know a emoji is always required at the end of your jokes !
You are just to sophisticated and British in your humor sometimes ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ked you know a emoji is always required at the end of your jokes !
You are just to sophisticated and British in your humor sometimes ;)

Yes, Ked's jokes can sometimes be hard to decifer. Having said that, I have sometimes laughed my ass off about his and his fellow Brit Marc's jokes when others found them less amusing ;).

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, you're dead wrong. Humour is a SERIOUS business this side of The Pond. Please be under no illusion.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Anyone who finds this less amusing needs conditioning w 24/7 loops of Monty Python, Blackadder and Little Britain.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I did not get Ked’s humor at my expense because he is the one who actually compares some component in an analog source chain to a digital component in a different system in a completely different context and then writes about it for pages and then declares one to be superior to all others.

I’m just a guy who lives in La La Land listening to solid-state driving Magico in his own listening room oblivious to the world around me.

I guess if I get out a little bit more I might better understand Kedar’s humor with zero distortion.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You trust somebody with a doctor's handwriting to make your cartridge for you?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing