Sublime Sound

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can sort your back out for you. Prefer to leave surgery to the hacks. Peter, it seems you do too Lol.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You still didn't get it - that was at Al's expense :D

Well, I wanted to be gracious about it, hence my post #554, which acknowledges that you also DO have good humor :D.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
All that subtle, layered British humor and clipped, icy zingers. The Yanks need a syllabus and a seeing eye dog.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
All that subtle, layered British humor and clipped, icy zingers. The Yanks need a syllabus and a seeing eye dog.

ROFL!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Sometimes when the General fires a broadside i have to use google, the Michelin restaurant guide and discogs and do still not get it:rolleyes:
I tell myself i’m not stupid, it’s just a language problem:oops:

Reactions: christoph and Al M.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I’m just a guy who lives in La La Land listening to solid-state driving Magico in his own listening room oblivious to the world around me.
And I thought I was the oddball....lol:):):p

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, we guys gave you Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, and The Office. You gave us Sgt Bilko, Seinfeld and Frasier. You gotta find yr voice in one of these at least.

Reactions: Lagonda

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You still didn't get it - that was at Al's expense :D

Oh I got that fine, but I was the one who paid for the cartridge.

Anyway I’m enjoying my new vdH. It is improving with time as I now have about 16 hours on it. Al will be coming over Wednesday evening to hear it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have an update on how my Master Signature is sounding after about twenty five hours.

Al M. came over last night for dinner down the street at our favorite local hang out. (We had rack of lamb with mushroom risotto). After dinner, we listened to my system. Al demonstrated again his superior listening skills. He gave me some VTA advice based on his recollection of the sound of real instruments, mostly violin tone, the piano’s highest register, and male versus female massed voices. If things sounded the slightest bit off, Al did not hesitate to mention it. This is one of the things I find so refreshing in our Boston Audio Group. This attitude leads to learning.

The Master Signature is riding on a knife’s edge. I am finding that the VTA has to be dialed in for each LP to sound its best, but when that angle is right, you are rewarded with a very special sound. My MS now has about twenty five hours on it. We listened to some Beethoven string quartets, Cantata Domino, Beethoven’s Appassionata, Bach’s solo violin partita, and Holst's Planets.

Ack has described to our local audio group the European cartridge "sound" (Ortofon, vdH, Lyra, Clearaudio, Benz, etc) as being primarily about Resolution and Accuracy. I think that is right and I am learning what he means. I prefer the terms Energy and Tone, because this cartridge has so much energy across the frequency range, that you just hear more. You hear the origin of the sound if it is close mic’d and the energy of the cello body vibrating and the piano’s soundboard. You hear the bow against the string creating friction. You hear the vocal cords of the soprano. You hear the sound reverberating around the recording venue.

By Tone, I mean timbral accuracy in the same sense I think Ack means it. The individual instruments in a string quartet are more distinct, not only in space and distance, but in timbre. There is a purity to the tone which I don’t quite get from my other cartridges. It seems less colored, more neutral, more real. Individual voices in choral music blend as one in a coherent mass of intense beauty, or they are heard slightly separate, in space and tone from their neighbors. Individual violins in an orchestra have the same effect, depending on the recording, or the intent. This cartridge just makes me more aware of it.

Al used one word to describe what he heard from this cartridge: "Articulation”. That should make Ack smile.

Thanks for coming over last night Al, and thank you for helping me to better dial in the cartridge on some LPs. I really appreciate your companionship and ears in both dinner conversation and music listening.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have an update on how my Master Signature is sounding after about twenty five hours.

Al M. came over last night for dinner down the street at our favorite local hang out. (We had rack of lamb with mushroom risotto). After dinner, we listened to my system. Al demonstrated again his superior listening skills. He gave me some VTA advice based on his recollection of the sound of real instruments, mostly violin tone, the piano’s highest register, and male versus female massed voices. If things sounded the slightest bit off, Al did not hesitate to mention it. This is one of the things I find so refreshing in our Boston Audio Group. This attitude leads to learning.

The Master Signature is riding on a knife’s edge. I am finding that the VTA has to be dialed in for each LP to sound its best, but when that angle is right, you are rewarded with a very special sound. My MS now has about twenty five hours on it. We listened to some Beethoven string quartets, Cantata Domino, Beethoven’s Appassionata, Bach’s solo violin partita, and Holst's Planets.

Ack has described to our local audio group the European cartridge "sound" (Ortofon, vdH, Lyra, Clearaudio, Benz, etc) as being primarily about Resolution and Accuracy. I think that is right and I am learning what he means. I prefer the terms Energy and Tone, because this cartridge has so much energy across the frequency range, that you just hear more. You hear the origin of the sound if it is close mic’d and the energy of the cello body vibrating and the piano’s soundboard. You hear the bow against the string creating friction. You hear the vocal cords of the soprano. You hear the sound reverberating around the recording venue.

By Tone, I mean timbral accuracy in the same sense I think Ack means it. The individual instruments in a string quartet are more distinct, not only in space and distance, but in timbre. There is a purity to the tone which I don’t quite get from my other cartridges. It seems less colored, more neutral, more real. Individual voices in choral music blend as one in a coherent mass of intense beauty, or they are heard slightly separate, in space and tone from their neighbors. Individual violins in an orchestra have the same effect, depending on the recording, or the intent. This cartridge just makes me more aware of it.

Al used one word to describe what he heard from this cartridge: "Articulation”. That should make Ack smile.

Thanks for coming over last night Al, and thank you for helping me to better dial in the cartridge on some LPs. I really appreciate your companionship and ears in both dinner conversation and music listening.

Thank you, Peter, for the opportunity to hear your new cartridge and for your kind words. The rack of lamb with mushroom risotto was delicious indeed, and it was a fun evening.

Your write-up is excellent. As you say, the cartridge needs to be dialed in precisely for each LP in order to achieve the most believable timbre, but the result can be really special in terms of clarity and articulation. I thought the choral music and the piano sounded the most impressive. There was not the least bit of blurring on the phenomenally played direct-to-disc Apassionata piano sonata. Each note in the fast runs in the high or even low register was distinct, and there was a rare tonal differentiation and detail.

There can be no doubt that we have not yet heard the cartridge at its full potential. I will be eager to hear the progress of further breaking in. With your other Colibri the progress as it accumulated playing hours was profound.

Reactions: PeterA

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Congratulation Peter. Your new cart will give you so much joy on classicals. You are now experiencing the goodness of MS with good recording on piano the 45 Appassionata. It is a highly spotlighted recording. May I suggest you buy some old records of Pollini, Gilels, Cziffra, etc. They would really entertain you with great performances on piano that can really stretch the leg of MS. These old records are not expensive and can be bought around 40 bucks on discog. Old records are not cult. I just find it so hard to find new records that deserve the capability of a good high end system.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: PeterA and Folsom

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Last night I heard again Peter's system. Very good sound as expected, and I was most impressed with the piano on the direct to disc Apassionata and a Schumann violin sonata. Totally explosive, even brutal dynamics, with incredible speed on some of those hard hits on the keys. I guess, if they would hear that, those who think Magico can't do dynamics would be shocked -- absolutely shocked.

The brutal start-stops of the hard hitting piano on the Schumann violin sonata reminded me vividly of similar music that we heard live close up in the large living room of the Ayer Mansion in Boston recently:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/four-hombres-from-boston.29284/

And yes, that new cartridge is quite something. It's still breaking in.

Last edited:
Reactions: ack and PeterA

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
those who think Magico can't do dynamics would be shocked -- absolutely shocked.

Yes, we do read such BS left and right over here; just like those who think they are sterile. I bet most people don't even know how many keys there are in a baby grand piano either.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. .

I bet most people don't even know how many keys there are in a baby grand piano either.

I think this is a “red herring.”:rolleyes:

I think knowing this particular fact is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition to knowing anything about the hobby of high-end audio.

Reactions: bonzo75 and asiufy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing